GTA 5 Source Code Reportedly Leaked Online

erek

[H]F Junkie
I think it’s of no consequence since apparently rockstar upwnded the backend to gta online after the hack and prior to this leak which is supposedly fueled by the gta modder scene scamming people out of money for the supposed source & assets

“The source code for Grand Theft Auto 5 was reportedly leaked on Christmas Eve, a little over a year after the Lapsus$ threat actors hacked Rockstar games and stole corporate data. From a report:Links to download the source code were shared on numerous channels, including Discord, a dark web website, and a Telegram channel that the hackers previously used to leak stolen Rockstar data. In a post to a Grand Theft Auto leak channel on Telegram, the channel owner known as 'Phil' posted links to the stolen source code, sharing a screenshot of one of the folders.”
https://games.slashdot.org/story/23...edly-leaked-online-a-year-after-rockstar-hack

Hopefully someone can make good of this and make a Linux port. Probably won't be on Github.

Ain't nobody rewriting thousands upon thousands of lines of code for something they shouldn't have in their hands and may not even be buildable. It's probably loaded with third party shit that you are in no way licensed to look at, let alone touch. That's on top of the already problematic source.

They can't even distribute whatever they build even if the extreme hypothetical played out.

It works fine already, anyway.

Ain't nobody rewriting thousands upon thousands of lines of code for something they shouldn't have in their hands and may not even be buildable. It's probably loaded with third party shit that you are in no way licensed to look at, let alone touch. That's on top of the already problematic source.

They can't even distribute whatever they build even if the extreme hypothetical played out.

It works fine already, anyway.
Everything works on the EPIC Games Edition of RockStar GTA 5

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=16807

also many play using Proton / Steam Decks too

You say that but people have already decompiled Mario 64 and have posted Githubs with the code. Not the Mario 64 game code, but the tools needed to decompile the game and then recompile it to whatever you want. As big as Mario 64 was, a game like GTAV is much bigger and also very old. Like Xbox 360 and PS3 old. Before you say that decompiling Mario 64 isn't a big deal, just remember that you can decompile any executable, but the problem is figuring out which line of code does what. Imagine looking at millions of lines of code without any comments. That's what those people did, so yea people do have time for that.
Most likely you'll see people learn from it and build their own ports of GTAV. Like GZDoom and DHEWM3.
Everything works on the EPIC Games Edition of RockStar GTA 5

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=16807

also many play using Proton / Steam Decks too
I've played GTAV on Linux with Proton but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want better performance and features that just didn't exist in the game.

There's no reality where a team forms around source code they can't legally use, and silently spends the next who knows how long working in the shadows porting the renderer, and possibly windowing, input, audio, io, etc. - whatever platform dependent code. Nobody can work on this in the open and nobody reputable in the industry is going to touch it because it's beyond radioactive.

The codebase is going to be _enormous_. Millions of lines.

People with this source didn't clean room reverse engineer it. It's stolen material that's not just Rockstar IP, but likely oodles of third party middleware that cannot be distributed. Rockstar couldn't open source the engine even if they wanted.

No telling if it's even possible to compile a working binary.

You say that but people have already decompiled Mario 64 and have posted Githubs with the code. Not the Mario 64 game code, but the tools needed to decompile the game and then recompile it to whatever you want. As big as Mario 64 was, a game like GTAV is much bigger and also very old. Like Xbox 360 and PS3 old. Before you say that decompiling Mario 64 isn't a big deal, just remember that you can decompile any executable, but the problem is figuring out which line of code does what. Imagine looking at millions of lines of code without any comments. That's what those people did, so yea people do have time for that.

Most likely you'll see people learn from it and build their own ports of GTAV. Like GZDoom and DHEWM3.

I've played GTAV on Linux with Proton but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want better performance and features that just didn't exist in the game.
can't you overclock your CPU, RAM, and GPU for better performance?

recompile wine with more aggressive performance tuning flags, etc?

can't you overclock your CPU, RAM, and GPU for better performance?

recompile wine with more aggressive performance tuning flags, etc?
Who says I don't? I use GE Proton for better performance. I use Xanmod kernel for better performance. Kisak PPA for latest graphic drivers, and so much more. While I can get comparable performance to Windows, I can probably do better if it was a native port. Keep in mind that people have made a custom GTA3 open source engine called OpenRW, and yes it has a native port for Linux. It even runs on a Nintendo Switch, and yes it has legal problems. May take years, but someone will reverse engineer GTAV, probably using this leaked code.

View: https://youtu.be/WXq46Sof2CA?si=lkOP53Gs8pNRKQxh

You're not reverse engineering if you're using stolen code.

You cannot even contribute to Wine or ReactOS if you've ever seen the equivalent material you're dealing with. It's a fast track to zero defense.

You're not reverse engineering if you're using stolen code.

You cannot even contribute to Wine or ReactOS if you've ever seen the equivalent material you're dealing with. It's a fast track to zero defense.
what if you run it through ChatGPT to generate inspired blocks of code? even multiple times for "optimization" and "security improvement" iterations, etc?

what if you run it through ChatGPT to generate inspired blocks of code? even multiple times for "optimization" and "security improvement" iterations, etc?
1703799414891.png

Why would that clear you in the slightest? You still produced a derivative based off stolen material. Worse is that you're pumping trade secrets into GPT.

Anyone dumb enough to actually say that they did that will have immediately killed any hope of their project existing in public space and have more than set themselves up for legal annihilation.

There's no reality where a team forms around source code they can't legally use, and silently spends the next who knows how long working in the shadows porting the renderer, and possibly windowing, input, audio, io, etc. - whatever platform dependent code. Nobody can work on this in the open and nobody reputable in the industry is going to touch it because it's beyond radioactive.

The codebase is going to be _enormous_. Millions of lines.

People with this source didn't clean room reverse engineer it. It's stolen material that's not just Rockstar IP, but likely oodles of third party middleware that cannot be distributed. Rockstar couldn't open source the engine even if they wanted.

No telling if it's even possible to compile a working binary.
From a legal and sensible perspective, absolutely. It's more likely that any such endeavor would morph into a scene specific open secret of sorts.
I wanted to immediately retort something related to Duke Nukem Forever, but we all know that nobody that matters gives a shit anymore.

Back