GTA 4 Why do we put up with this crap?

I've had all the GTA games on PC, but from what I've seen of 4 it's not worth the hassle to even download it.

Like I said, I support buying games that are good. Sure everyone will flame me for torrenting games and use them as demos but heck it's a good way to find out if you like it or not.

I hate it when people think of me as an asshole for torrenting games and only buying the good ones.

or your could, you know, read reviews and especially user opinions on various forums for a few days to see how the game holds up to real world scrutiny...

but i guess that makes too much sense ... that, and you dont get to play the game for free since mommy wont give you 40 bucks for each new game that comes out right?

For those of you who actually waited to purchase this on PC vs 360 or even PS3, I have no sympathy for you. You should know better by now in regards to console ports.

For those of you who actually waited to purchase this on PC vs 360 or even PS3, I have no sympathy for you. You should know better by now in regards to console ports.

to be fair, many people just do not want to purchase a console (me included) especially when we use the PC for everything else in our digital lives

A: Do I like the game?
B: Is it playable.
C: Is it worth $50

You don't know how much money you can save when downloading some them to find out that you hate them...

Like I said, I support buying games that are good. Sure everyone will flame me for torrenting games and use them as demos but heck it's a good way to find out if you like it or not.

I hate it when people think of me as an asshole for torrenting games and only buying the good ones.

EDIT: I'm done with this. If you don't want to understand, fine. But lets keep this thread on topic.

Theres a ton of reasons why game developers have slowly started to focus on Consoles, and one of them is this guy right here.

Game designers aren't like professional athletes or pop stars they get paid a decent salary to enjoy life, sure, but they work hard and are well deserved of the money.

IF this guy wants to know if a game is good or not, wait for the reviews and forums for the people who have bought them, or hell even wait for a demo if there is one available. Torrenting is stealing period. Im sure you have a hundred justifications, but tell it to a judge.

I myself will wait awhile for most of the bugs to get ironed out and then support my game company.

Torrenting is stealing period

i actually dont agree with this, for philosophical reasons....

but in practicality, yes, torrenting is bad because it sends the wrong message to industry players and watchers about your average PC gamer. It screams out that we are all just looking to get something for nothing, and it is a great excuse for shifting away from the PC, or cramming games with DRM

Ok i will have to admit i had high hopes for the pc version of gta 4. That rockstar was actually going to put out a finished/polished game experience for pc users. Oh how wrong i was; What they put out is an unoptimized rushed turd to get some sales for xmas... This game should not of seen the light of day till it was 100% ready. Try playing it with the minimum spec's i can gaurentee it is unplayable...

Again Pc gamers get the short end of the stick its a sad day for pc gaming when no one cares about makeing a quality experience that is easy to enjoy on the pc platform...

you put up with this shit because you spend $1,500+++ on the latest pc hardware only to have a game that's not even maxed out run at 38.53 fps and you keep telling yourself that just around the corner, with the next gpu, you're going to double your fps.

how many of you are getting 100fps+ maxed out in crysis???

Hence why I own consoles too, I get the best of everything without compromises.

understood, but you have to remember, when you have 14 year olds like LOCO LAPTOP who need to pirate to be able to play PC games after spending all his birthday money on a video card, you gotta realize there *is* a pretty substantial subset of PC gamers that just dont have the disposable income to go with a game-capable PC *and* console, especially when said 14 year olds have discovered that you dont *really* have to pay for games on the PC

you put up with this shit because you spend $1,500+++ on the latest pc hardware only to have a game that's not even maxed out run at 38.53 fps and you keep telling yourself that just around the corner, with the next gpu, you're going to double your fps.

how many of you are getting 100fps+ maxed out in crysis???

Who wants over 100+ fps?

I know this is [H] but seriously...

i dont know, Sir, 100fps used to be the bench mark by what all [H]ard members played on

i think now 30 is the new 100 though...

i dont know, Sir, 100fps used to be the bench mark by what all [H]ard members played on

i think now 30 is the new 100 though...

No it is not, 100+ fps is just for bragging rights on a forum and/or friends.

For some games, anything higher than 60 (e.g. first person shooters) is not important.

Just enjoy the game.

For some games, anything higher than 60 (e.g. first person shooters) is not important.

Just enjoy the game.

sometimes you want to be able to hit super high FPSs because you feel like maybe it will give your rig some staying power... i mean, if it hits 100 FPS now on the latest title, if you assume you'll lose 50% of your FPS on next year's latest, it will be a whole 2 years before you have to upgrade again...

or so the logic plays out in my head at least....

understood, but you have to remember, when you have 14 year olds like LOCO LAPTOP who need to pirate to be able to play PC games after spending all his birthday money on a video card, you gotta realize there *is* a pretty substantial subset of PC gamers that just dont have the disposable income to go with a game-capable PC *and* console, especially when said 14 year olds have discovered that you dont *really* have to pay for games on the PC

Do you want me to buy a Xbox360 and torrent games for it? You should know you can torrent on consoles. Moving to console wont fix things. Sorry to let you know that.

I won't buy a 360. I already have a PS3. Won't waste money on something I wont use.

Just enjoy the game.

well, i think we can both agree that the average fps is what is important.

also, you want the highest possible fps you can get: if you get 100fps and during a firefight things get intense, you might dip into the 60s.

Now, say you have 60fos because like you said, you dont need anymore, if you get into an intense firefight you might dip into the 30s or even 20s and i guarantee you will see a difference!

Do you want me to buy a Xbox360 and torrent games for it? You should know you can torrent on consoles. Moving to console wont fix things. Sorry to let you know that.

you can only pirate a 360 game if you own certain versions of the console, which have been phased out

9/10 people *can't* pirate a 360 game, 10/10 *can't* pirate a PS3 game

*anyone* can pirate a PC game easily

give it a rest

you can only pirate a 360 game if you own certain versions of the console, which have been phased out

give it a rest

I would love to give it a rest. But you need to clam down.

I would love to give it a rest. But you need to clam down.

aw, im sorry for poking so many holes in your now swiss cheese like arguments that you need to resort to telling me to calm down now, but sometimes u pre-teens need someone to remind you of how idiotic you really are....

Not to be a jerk, but do you really think there is a conspiracy between Rockstar and the PC hardware industry at large? I mean, who the hell is going to buy a brand new PC to play GTA4?? Buy an XBox!

Sorry, I just think this is a little far fetched. I think they are lazy and rushed their product (like you said), that is all.

Uhmm dude the reality is that you need a topnotch computer to be able to enjoy GTA4 on the PC in this release state. A computer with the value of 4-5 xbox'es, 1 year after the xbox release.

I'm not specificly talking about R* but all studios like them, you'd be naive to reject this notion; Hardware manufacturers and 3D gamestudios are ying and yang, they live off of each other. Just look at the nVidia/ATI advert-intros for most modern 3D games? That even proves their affiliation. Look at how technology is slowly revealed and pushed in a constant and fairly even curve, in order to milk the techonology well before they reveal the next stage which was probably invented 10 years ago or who knows how long. Why do you think we get this fairly slow and constant development curve in desktop computingpower over time, when realistically you'd discover technology or -anything- randomly? Pushing the curve of system requirements slowly with boring and uninspired 3D games is the essence of the PC gaming industrialization, and I'm sorry, but you are slow if you havent figured this out a long time ago.

MaaAAAaaahh...

Sure by looking at history we should have known better, but why should we be to blame for expecting what's acceptable though? We're getting worse performance on hardware that is way more expensive than the console counterpart itself, and people like you sit and defend these devs? I'm puzzled.

Ok i will have to admit i had high hopes for the pc version of gta 4. That rockstar was actually going to put out a finished/polished game experience for pc users. Oh how wrong i was; What they put out is an unoptimized rushed turd to get some sales for xmas... This game should not of seen the light of day till it was 100% ready. Try playing it with the minimum spec's i can gaurentee it is unplayable...

Again Pc gamers get the short end of the stick its a sad day for pc gaming when no one cares about makeing a quality experience that is easy to enjoy on the pc platform...

Wait, don't be so harsh. We'll get a patch that fixes everything sometime in the spring.:rolleyes:

Wait, don't be so harsh. We'll get a patch that fixes everything sometime in the spring.:rolleyes:

I'm highly skeptical a patch will fix what's wrong with this port.

The PC version is basically emulating the console code.

Buy console games for a console.

Some of my favorite games on PC have been ports/cross platform. Like KOTOR, Splinter Cell, Mass Effect etc.

There's a lot more to calculate than just physics and eye candy. The dynamic playback feature present in the PC version is big hog. Turn that off, it will help performance. There's also AI calculations going on for all the cars and all the people walking around, I've seen some of the view distances this game offers, and it's no surprise with so much going on, in such a huge wide open game world that you need a really hefty multi-core CPU.

I don't see whats so much different about the AI in this game than any previous GTAs that would warrant at least 3 cores. :confused:

if there is a will, a way will be found... this is the human experience in its entirety

In conclusion, Rockstar lost a GTA4 sale from you.

Well they got my money when it was first released, but I would have bought the PC version too had it been at least playable on my admittedly old system. Even at 800x600 everything low, sliders on 1, I get a maximum of 10fps, and on top of that, graphics glitches everywhere.

I don't have a problem with obsolescence. The problem is this comp can still enjoyably play every other PC game on the market. I happily upgraded when UT2003 came along. And I didn't mind upgrading the graphics again when dx9 took off (X1800XL to X1900XT). GTA4 isn't pushing any new technical boundaries to warrant the demanded specs. If high end PCs were getting a solid 60fps with high detail, IQ, and resolution, I'd think about it.

From my perspective it seems you need bleeding edge for only an acceptable GTA4 PC gaming experience. All of the MS big brother crap is a turn off too. Alan Wake is probably the next big game I'll enthusiastically jump into with a quad core / new enthusiast GPU. If I hadn't bought it for PS3, and was dying to play, it might be easier to justify upgrading for such a botched port.

wow i honestly dont even think your computer is that old ... x1900 and a K8 at almost 3ghz seems pretty fast to me....

Never gonna happen, least from MS.

dont be so sure ... i can def see the day that one of the big 3 uses their head and lets this awesome option finally be used....

i'd drop PC gaming soooo quickly for a console if the KB+M experience appeared on a console un-neutered and in full effect

Not to be a jerk, but do you really think there is a conspiracy between Rockstar and the PC hardware industry at large? I mean, who the hell is going to buy a brand new PC to play GTA4?? Buy an XBox!

Sorry, I just think this is a little far fetched. I think they are lazy and rushed their product (like you said), that is all.

And there we have it.....

This is why ports SUCK, because they DO want you to go out and buy a console. They know there are HUGE numbers of people who solely play PC games, but their nitche is in the console market, their whole studio of games is based on this fact. So they port over a game to the PC and, IMO, purposely fuk it up knowing that some people will actually go out and buy a console cause they are tired of their games not working.

So YES, I do believe this was a fuk up ON PURPOSE. How could it not be?

And there we have it.....

This is why ports SUCK, because they DO want you to go out and buy a console. They know there are HUGE numbers of people who solely play PC games, but their nitche is in the console market, their whole studio of games is based on this fact. So they port over a game to the PC and, IMO, purposely fuk it up knowing that some people will actually go out and buy a console cause they are tired of their games not working.

So YES, I do believe this was a fuk up ON PURPOSE. How could it not be?

Interesting perspective, I believe you are on to something.

Interesting perspective, I believe you are on to something.

It's one in the same. The vast majority of their revenue is from consoles. It's a real dick move, but they don't care how it runs for PC users. It was a ca$h in. How else to explain the overall lack of polish ? It feels like an alpha release. Like how previewers stated it ran back in summer of 2007 before the delay.

They may know it's not profitable to make a decent PC port. But you'd think with as much money as they made, they could afford to subsidize the PC a little, if only to maintain reputation and corporate goodwill. The VC and SA ports weren't miracles but they weren't as terrible as GTA4. Rockstar should be ashamed of themselves.

I hope someone brings a class action lawsuit against their asses.

Back