GT 430 for DX11, and 8800 for PhysX?

Eärendil

Weaksauce
I have an MSI nforce6 SLI mobo, and a Galaxy GT 430 and 8800 Gt 320 evga.

Is it possible to have one card run Physx and the other card do graphics? I was thinking even though the 430 is slower, it's Dx11 capable, so I'd use that for the graphics, and use the horsepower of the 8800 for PhysX stuff. Can this be done in some kind of SLI mode?

I dont know much about how sli or physx works since I dont use either but I guess you "could" if thats what you are looking to do...

Seems strange because a GT 430 is pretty low end and I would only venture to guess that you do very little gaming or play older less demanding games maybe. A 8800GT is quite a bit faster than a GT 430 though...just fyi.

I guess you are looking to play DX11 games with it but that is some strange logic if you ask me.

Eärendil;1038612277 said:

Is it possible to have one card run Physx and the other card do graphics? I was thinking even though the 430 is slower, it's Dx11 capable, so I'd use that for the graphics, and use the horsepower of the 8800 for PhysX stuff. Can this be done in some kind of SLI mode?
Yes you can do it, and it doesn't use a special SLI mode. You wouldn't be able to SLI those cards anyways. Its set in the NV control panel.

Why you would want this type of arrangement is beyond me. I would sell both cards and put a little more money into a GTX560 or better and be able to do everything on one card and still have infinitely more power leftover for graphics than either of those 2 cards can provide.

Eärendil;1038612277 said:

Like another poster stated, it does not make sense to do this. The GT 430 is already significantly slower than the 8800 GTS 320MB even in Dx10 or earlier. And you cannot SLI the two GPUs at all: They are completely different from one another (specs-wise).

Last edited:
Like another poster stated, it does not make sense to do this. The GT 430 is already significantly slower than the 8800 GT 320MB even in Dx10 or earlier. And you cannot SLI the two GPUs at all: They are completely different from one another (specs-wise).

This, 8800GT is MUCH stronger than the GT 430, and most DX11 games can be run below DX11 just fine (I don't know of any, but I don't play every game). 8800 is a pretty weak physx card too from what I've read.

My laptop's 8800M GTS is faster than the two GT 430s that I own (one in server, one running a second monitor on my main computer)

Last edited:
If you don't want to spend any money on newer cards, use the 8800 as the primary card, and the GT 430 for PhysX.

Not a very good setup, but it will work.

Its an 8800GTS if its a 320MB. The 8800GT was only in 256MB/512MB/1GB.

In which case, the 430 isnt that much slower, and may be faster if you play at a lower resolution. They both have the same amount of shaders, and the 430 is clocked higher. The 8800GTS is 320bit bus though vs 128bit on the 430. So if you are at 1680x1050 or less, the 430 may be better.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for the replies! You'd be surprised at the 430 though. My 8800 couldn't run STALKER or the newest AVP on highest settings, but the 430 can. And yeah, I just wanted to see what was possible. If I were to buy a new video card, I'd want a whole new system too. :)

Its an 8800GTS if its a 320MB. The 8800GT was only in 256MB/512MB/1GB.

I get that mixed up because GTS used to mean "flagship". Or so I thought. All i know is I was aiming for upper midrange when I bought it.

Its cause Nvidia brought the 8800GT out much later at a lower price point, and phased out the GTS just after.

430 is a surprisingly decent card. For 1680x1050 and less, it does pretty darn well.

Its cause Nvidia brought the 8800GT out much later at a lower price point, and phased out the GTS just after.

430 is a surprisingly decent card. For 1680x1050 and less, it does pretty darn well.

Thanks for that info. Yeah, I haven't really been paying attention to hardware the past few years. It does do well and since I have a 17" monitor, 1024 w/a bit of AA does the job well enough.

And the 430 was free...

Why have a physx card anyway i found some game that use it but not many. yea it should work fine.

Thanks for the links! I'll probably keep the 430 in there until I upgrade. I'm a sucker for DX11 shinies. :)

Eärendil;1038612679 said:
Thanks for the links! I'll probably keep the 430 in there until I upgrade. I'm a sucker for DX11 shinies. :)

I was actually surprised by its capability when I ran some tests on the one I had real quick. It's somewhere around what my laptop is capable of (a little bit less, which isn't anything amazing, but it should play most console ports just fine).

Here's some comparisons just from what common benchmarking software I had on both computers:

http://3dmark.com/compare/3dmv/4007779/3dmv/4026798

http://3dmark.com/compare/3dm06/16574387/3dm06/16602890

(yes, it's 3dmark, which isn't 100% reliable with these sorts of things, but it's decent enough to compare GENERAL performance. The 7970 one is actually the GT 430, for whatever reason it still shows it as my main graphics card even when it's not the one being tested. Also it's a 3.8ghz I7 920 vs. a 2.4ghz core 2 duo mobile, so big difference there)

Also note that there's another 32 or so shaders on the desktop 8800gts. I'm pretty sure the 8800gts will still outperform the 430, but if DX11 is a big thing for you, who am I to argue.

3d06 and Vantage are too CPU dependant to really be used. I got about 11k in 3d06 with my GT-430.

Its a much smaller, cooler running, and quieter card then the GTS, so those are all pluses too. I personally wouldnt bother using the GTS as a physx card though because it only has 96 shaders. Physx is a shader intensive thing, and you really want at least 128 + for decent performance.

3d06 and Vantage are too CPU dependant to really be used. I got about 11k in 3d06 with my GT-430.

Its a much smaller, cooler running, and quieter card then the GTS, so those are all pluses too. I personally wouldnt bother using the GTS as a physx card though because it only has 96 shaders. Physx is a shader intensive thing, and you really want at least 128 + for decent performance.

I agree, I was mostly using the graphics score and the shader/HDR scores. And yes, this is true, my 430s are both quiet and cool running. For whatever reason both of them (sparkle and galaxy) are wired for max fan all the time (or atleast it seems like they are). There's no control wire going to the GPU fan and I don't ever notice a change in speed if it's changing it via power alone.

Eärendil;1038612465 said:
Ok. Thanks for the replies! You'd be surprised at the 430 though. My 8800 couldn't run STALKER or the newest AVP on highest settings, but the 430 can. And yeah, I just wanted to see what was possible. If I were to buy a new video card, I'd want a whole new system too. :)
sorry but a gt430 cannot run AvP smoothly on the highest settings. a gt430 performs between an 8600gt and 9600gt so there is zero chance of that unless you play at 1024x768 and are not actually using any DX11 features.

really you are not going to be running hardly any newer game smoothly in the first place above medium settings and low res with either of those cards. and with that mobo, I am guessing you have a really old cpu too which is going to also hurt you. basically physx is probably the last thing you should be worried about until you get a more modern gaming pc.

Last edited:
Back