GSYNC worth it?

I'll agree to an extent but much of what you're describing re: contrast in my experience is more relevant to the crap viewing angles. While the color isn't in the superb category it certainly isn't awful either and I see nothing that could be described as degraded graphic fidelity (graphics =/= color). I work with color for a living, FWIW.

My opinion, as an owner of the Swift, is that the tradeoff is worth it for fast-action FPSs. Other game types, maybe not so much. Anyone considering a Swift and has the means should at least give one a test drive because G-Synch is a truly, no-joke amazing tech and will enhance your experience that much.

ok, Im still confused as to what gsync does. How do you benefit if youre hitting 144 fps consistently? I dont notice much tearing but does it make other things better? Im having a hard time understanding this tech

i heard the same game-changing thing for lightboost.. so whats better, gysnc or lightboost? I like lightboost but the dark screen really makes things hard to see.

thanks

If you read what I just posted quotes of and click the links it should show you what I think about it. Look for key words like average frame rate, muted, etc. I thought I laid out the facts and my opinion on it pretty clearly.

This link should explain g-sync for you
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview/

With dual 780ti sc or dual 980's you are more like 100fps *average* on very high settings on demanding games (not 144fps average). Some of the most demanding not even that, and definitely not on ultra on the demanding ones. On less demanding games (older games, simpler engines, isometric rpgs), you'll get a lot higher in some cases or hit that kind of frame rate on single cards.

The links below show single card frame rates as well as sli ones at 2560x1440 on some popular games. The hardocp link shows the framerate "roller coaster" fluctuations nicely in graphs.

forums.evga.com GTX-780Ti-Benchmarks-1x4x-SLI-Work-in-Progress

hardocp.com - nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_sli_4k_video_card_review: 1440p Performance and SLI Scaling

techpowerup.com - GTX_980_SLI reviewl

guru3d.com - gtx_980_sli_review

The average fps is a actually a roller coaster of frame rates so g-sync is valuable to prevent judder (and eliminate v-sync tradeoffs). At 100fps ave for example, your frame rate goes up into the 120's and 130's but can drop down to 70 or into the 60's.

I disagree. When people mention frame rate they really mean *average* frame rate which fluctuates dynamically quite a bit in demanding games. G-sync is great for the for the frame rate roller coaster at average frame rates well above 60fps-hz.

This graph is a good example
http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTQxNTI2MzIyN1ZrcExKTXo1Q2lfNF8xX2wuZ2lm

Current ULMB modemonitors mute the screen too much and does nothing for judder during fps swings. 100hz limit for strobing on the acer could be too slow making it borderline flashy as well. I prefer g-sync mode. At high fps, the motion clarity is more of a soften blur rather than a smear blur. You are also getting way more motion definition/articulation at higher hz-fps, and conversely losing out on both the motion definiton and blur reduction at 60hz-fps and less.

Last edited:
I'm not really concerned with height, in fact I prefer it to be shorter than my 16:10 display which currently, mounted to the wall, forces me to look up a bit.

However there can be actual gameplay advantages with 21:9 as you see a lot more, as shown in this Bioshock Infinite gif (the most narrow is 4:3, 16:9 is middle):

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-15-2014/n2ZLcb.gif

29" ultra wide is 23" display with wider sides
34" is 27" with wider sides

Also 24" 16:10 will have height closer to 27" 16:9

4k_21x9_2560x-27in-and-30in_1080p_same-ppi.jpg

Acer XB270HU what have the reviews been saying about this monitor? Is this going to be the best ips g sync monitor?

Acer XB270HU what have the reviews been saying about this monitor? Is this going to be the best ips g sync monitor?

It's pretty much the new king of gaming monitors atm. Mine is on it's way so I could give some impressions on it but TFTcentral has a pretty good in depth review of the monitor if you want to check it out.

It's also the ONLY currently available G-Sync IPS, but all sources point to that this monitor does not have major flaws (all flaws I am aware of are all related to IPS tech itself).

MistaSparkul: how are you getting it already? Is it avaliable in US? What is the price? Can you post up some reviews once you get a chance!

It's pretty much the new king of gaming monitors atm. Mine is on it's way so I could give some impressions on it but TFTcentral has a pretty good in depth review of the monitor if you want to check it out.

Yeah. It's on my list. I'll be getting three as soon as I save up for them. Hopefully, NVIDIA Surround/g-sync capable drivers will be released soon.

MistaSparkul: how are you getting it already? Is it avaliable in US? What is the price? Can you post up some reviews once you get a chance!

It was up for order at the Acer store. Unfortunately me (and many others) received a backorder email from Acer today so it looks like I won't be receiving mine for a while :( some were lucky enough and bought it before the backorder status and it's already been shipped out to them. The price from the Acer store is $799 but theres a 10% discount promo code you can apply, the total came out to $805 for me after tax and shipping which is an amazing deal taking into consideration the ROG Swift's MSRP is $799 alone before tax and shipping.

I really can't notice the G-Sync and the difference it makes. Maybe because I switched from good 120hz 27A950D - I got the Philips 144hz with GSync for few days to play with, and despite it having better colours and screen than Sammy, in likes of 50Hz, I really could not see the difference in FarCry 4.

I don't question, that a lot of you see the tearing and then lack of it. But maybe it's switch from 120hz and not from 60, but both were fluent, there was no tearing.

Possibly people who play a lot of MP shooters would notice the smoothnes, but casual gamer like me, can't see it ;)

g-sync absolutely fixes everything shown in this link's examples/simulations, and avoids having to use v-sync with it's own tradeoffs. The fact that people were willing to use v-sync shows how many people hated these glitches/effects. Others hated seeing them but were willing to suffer the effects, being unwilling to suffer the tradeoffs of V-sync. G-sync/variable hz is a needed thing imo.
I came from a samsung a750D 120hz too.

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview/

What g-sync isn't a fix for is 30-60fps vs 90fps-hz + on a low response time, high hz monitor, at least not if you want to use all of the advancements a modern gaming monitor provides.
The lower the fps, the worse the motion clairty (screen blur reduction eliminated and even worsened) and you are basically running a low hz monitor in that scenario. So while it's does "fix" the judder, tearing, and frame-rate "stop" unevenness at low fps-hz, you are missing out on all of the other benefits of modern gaming monitors - greatly increased motion clarity (blur reduction), greatly increased motion definition, motion articulation/paths, animation definition (motion definition).

Last edited:
Back