Gsync vs vsync settings

4RunnerTE

Limp Gawd
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but several nvidia driver releases ago g-sync and v-sync became separate settings (before you could enable g-sync as your v-sync option). From what I understand this was done to be able to allow you to have v-sync enabled if you exceeded your monitor's refresh rate as g-sync would not work above it anyways.

So is the general consensus now to enable BOTH or to disable v-sync and simply FPS cap your particular games to your refresh rate? Any performance or visual drawbacks to enabling both?

i've played with both vsync turned on and off in the control panel with gsync and haven't noticed any difference, but i leave it off anyway. cap your framerate to ~138 in order to not get input lag. http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

i don't know if gsync input lag has been fixed since that post but i am 99% sure it hasn't been as it does feel delayed at 144, and it's not like 6 frames matters anyway.

I've only been messing with gsync a couple days now, but I've noticed vsync lag at 144, and possibly when the framerate crosses other vsync intervals.

I think the answer is it will just vary game to game like a lot of things in nvcp.

FO4 has always on vsync, and I'm limited to 72, and notice a lot of jitter there. Disabling vsync in the games nvcp profile fixed it.

Personally I cap fps a little below the uncapped average for consistency.

FO4 has always on vsync, and I'm limited to 72, and notice a lot of jitter there. Disabling vsync in the games nvcp profile fixed it.

interesting. i'll have to try this as i'm getting a lot of jitter.

i've played with both vsync turned on and off in the control panel with gsync and haven't noticed any difference, but i leave it off anyway. cap your framerate to ~138 in order to not get input lag. http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

i don't know if gsync input lag has been fixed since that post but i am 99% sure it hasn't been as it does feel delayed at 144, and it's not like 6 frames matters anyway.

So I take it that enabling vsync is basically the NVCP's way of capping your FPS to your refresh rate?

Would it be more beneficial to have vsync OFF and hard cap your FPS via in-game settings or other?

I too am interested in this. I just got a g sync monitor and am unsure how I need to be setting vsync in games. On or Off? If off, do I have to manually set max fps in-game to my refresh rate?

Turning G-Sync on overrides any game setting, so it does not matter what you set in-game. I have always run G-Sync the original way, with V-Sync on capping the framerate to the max refresh rate. I have never noticed any input lag when doing so. Most games I play run around 60-100 FPS, anyway. If you're really that concerned about input lag, then you can turn V-Sync off in the NVCP and limit framerate using MSi Afterburner or your program of choice. The FPS limiter in these programs is universal, so you don't need to set for every game you play.

Turning G-Sync on overrides any game setting, so it does not matter what you set in-game. I have always run G-Sync the original way, with V-Sync on capping the framerate to the max refresh rate. I have never noticed any input lag when doing so. Most games I play run around 60-100 FPS, anyway. If you're really that concerned about input lag, then you can turn V-Sync off in the NVCP and limit framerate using MSi Afterburner or your program of choice. The FPS limiter in these programs is universal, so you don't need to set for every game you play.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.

I take it that enabling gsync and vsync in the way you described does not remove from the "smoothness" of gsync, correct? The vsync simply serves to hardcap your FPS at your refresh rate.

I get the same results as Armenius so I keep both G-Sync and V-Sync on. It's still buttery smooth thanks to G-Sync and it caps at 144Hz and I don't notice any input lag at all.

I get the same results as Armenius so I keep both G-Sync and V-Sync on. It's still buttery smooth thanks to G-Sync and it caps at 144Hz and I don't notice any input lag at all.
What about in-game vsync? You leave that on or off?

Back