GSOD and my 4850

SulSeeker

Gawd
Recently updated my Catalyst Suite from 10.8 to to 11.6... and what was once a nice system decided to do some head spinning Linda Blair shit one me. Mind you, I've been seeing temps in excess of 80c so I recently cleaned out my rig to get temps back down, and make the house much less of a sauna.

So after getting it back together nothing I could do aside yanking the battery out and resetting CMOS would bring the machine back alive. I'm getting a tad paranoid, luckily I have a saved OC profile, loaded it, reset and, came up fine.... ok... I'm thinking... interesting...

Go to MSI... nothing new there I don't already have installed...

Know my ATI Drivers are out of date, I head over there... install everything except the 2.4 SDK... and reboot. Windows loads fine, programs are loading then, GSOD. Recovery. GSOD. Recover but Aero Basic is up, GSOD, Grey lines, Reboot.

Did this twice before i jumped into device manager and yanked out the Drivers for the card.

Now I have the Windows update ATI drivers loaded (device manager found my card and loaded those) and everything is fine. Haven't tried any gaming yet cause I don't know what the hell this thing is going to do next.

Anyone else have this issue and what drivers are SAFE to load. Also someone said it was in the Catalyst Suite that caused the GSODs so if I load the latest Driver only I should be fine... is this correct? Hoping someone could help point me in the right direction.

Also, if you're going to reccomend me to upgrade... don't... I'm waiting for $199 2GB 6950's

Back