• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GSkill Falcon vs OCZ Vertex

jcll2002

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
3,655
I understand these drives have the same controller so they probably have the same level of performance, but which one is the better buy? They're both at the same price point ($200 for 60gigs), but I can't find any review directly comparing them nor have I heard much about the gskill in general. What do you guys think?
 
OCZ Vertex will receive firmware updates, the Falcon will most likely not. The Vertex already has a TRIM application that you can run manually (trimwiper), although the Vertex will also have a firmware update to support Windows 7s built-in TRIM function.

The Falcon cannot run the trimwiper as it is programmed to work only with OCZ drives (OCZ's custom firmware). As far as Windows 7 TRIM support, I doubt G.skill will go so far as provide that. At this point there's no indication even Blue Team (aka Intel) is going to bother a firmware update for W7 TRIM compatibility--probably going to use it as a selling point for the next gen 32nm drives.

Everything else is the same save the little metal SSD casing.
 
Last edited:
There's also the Super Talent Ultradrive ME, which is actually a bit cheaper than both of them. I'm not sure if it will support TRIM or have regular firmware updates though.

If you are already spending money for a "premium" drive, I'd say the extra $20 or so for the OCZ would be well spent.
 
Super Talent has put out firmware updates for other drives in the past (the Master Drive series, among others), so I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
 
I've been very happy with my vertex and the support provided by ocz on their forums.
 
All three are the exact same drives. OCZ does NOT make the firmware, Indilinx does and provides it to all three manufacturers. Currently the Falcons already come with the 1370 (v1.10) firmware installed. Not sure about the super talents but I would imagine they will provide the updates too.


The Falcon cannot run the trimwiper as it is programmed to work only with OCZ drives (OCZ's custom firmware). As far as Windows 7 TRIM support, I doubt G.skill will go so far as provide that.

This is all false, I have a Falcon and the OCZ trim app works as well at the one provided on G.Skill's own forums. Windows 7 TRIM support is exactly the same too. OCZ/G.Skill/SuperTalent do not make the firmware, Indilinx does. They are the EXACT SAME DRIVES, just buy whatever one is cheapest for the size you want!
 
The only question is in the event of a newer firmware coming out, which company will release it first, and does that matter (as long as they all eventually release it).
 
it shouldnt matter because the hardware is the same. i'm heavily considering picking up a falcon
 
it shouldnt matter because the hardware is the same. i'm heavily considering picking up a falcon

Hardware is only the beginnig. Firmware means a ton with SSDs. Look for Anandtech's review on the OCZ Vertex.
 
Hardware is only the beginnig. Firmware means a ton with SSDs. Look for Anandtech's review on the OCZ Vertex.


It's the same hardware. It's the same firmware. Only thing is different is the ID string that shows up in the BIOS when the drive detects.
 
if they're the same drive can you flash a falcon with vertex firmware?
 
Some how this line of thought seems like saying that every mobo with an X58 and ICH10 can use the same firmware... but I don't know enough about what OCZ does (if anything) to say
 
Some how this line of thought seems like saying that every mobo with an X58 and ICH10 can use the same firmware... but I don't know enough about what OCZ does (if anything) to say

Not quite. It's more like saying every body who sells a nVidia Geforce GTX 260 sells it with the same BIOS, but it just shows up with a different name in the system bios and possibly device manager.

Nope OCZ locks their firmware.

Yeah, the OCZ tool won't run against a G.Skill falcon (I am sure they just put a quick little software lock in there, I'm sure it would flash otherwise)



How much simpler could it be?
 
Back
Top