GSKILL 3200 to 4400

WeldZilla

Limp Gawd
Well I have been using OCZ mem Exclusively for a few years now. Yesterday however I installed 2x256 sticks of GSKILL mem into my system. As many of you know GSKILL is a fairly new Name on the mem scene. I decided to try it cuz the OCZ PC4000 Gold would peter out at anything above 257fsb @ 1:1 for a DDR speed of 514. It would lose all stability after about 45 minutes. So I worte to Sean over at OCZ and he traded it straight across with me for 1 gig of PC3200 Platinum Rev.2. It too would run at DDr 514 for about an hour before crashing. The good thing about the 3200 was that it would run at 2-2-2-5 all the way to DDR 440 and the trhoughput was great! But, I still wanted more. So I purchased a couple sticks of OCZ EL4200 hoping I could run up to around 267 to 270 fsb set at 1:1. My Epox board totally rejected this mem. I could not run higher than 240 fsb no matter the timings or the voltage. My board will run up to 3.3V on the mem. More volts less volts did not matter,it simply would not work in this board. Enter GSKILL, I plugged it in and ran it at 260 1:1 right out of the package. So I turned it up some more. It just booted right up. So I ran it up to 272 fsb 1:1 with timings of 2.5-3-3-7 it ran smooth for about an hour then bacame unstable. So I backed it down and have found that it runs smooth and stable at 269fsb @ 1:1 timings set to 2.5-3-3-6
with mem voltage set to 3.1. I have set a new high score in every bench I have run so far. Another big plus for GSKILL is my cpu temps. With the OCZ running at max 1:1 I fought temps. It would idle at 40C. With the GSKILL running at 538DDR my temps are staying right at 30C. Both brands use Samsungs TCCD chips. Which too me proves that all TCCD chips are not created equal. I bought only a 512 kit because quite frankly I did not want to spend nearly $300 on an unproven product. I will now be getting a 1 gig kit. I purchased it here.
http://store.yahoo.com/digi4me/gs51kit2x2dd2.html
Small price to pay for such excellent memory. If you are in the market this defintely deserves your consideration!
Here is a shot of my daily clocks with sandra and cpuz.
daily.jpg

And my new high PCmark04 score.
record.jpg

WZ

TCCD ran better at 3.1v than 2.7 or 2.8? I was under the impression TCCD didn't like voltage that much. In fact I remember reading a review of gskill TCCD ram where the review had to lower the voltage from 2.75 to 2.65 to get it to run properly.

2x256 generally have a lot better overhead than 2x512

have you tried the ocz rev 2 platinum at 2.5-3-3-8 at 550+?

I tried the OCZ mem at virtually every setting combination possible! 550 was a non-attainable dream!

WZ

Back