GRRR Vista Looses Activation!

XBarbarian

[H]ard|Gawd
*weeps*

After tinkering around most of the afternoon with various BIOS settings, trying to see what getting to a 1:1 ratio would do for me, many reboots, etc... well..finally..went back to a known good small OC...

windows boots..log in...your product requires Activation..

and it fails. I actually paid full retail for this Ultimate @ bestbuy, to have a legit copy (for a change ) apparently, trying to boot (fails ) etc at different FSB settings etc... no go

I tried the various methods... enter product.. comes back and says doesn't match? WTF! called ( India ) and they gave me a set of confirmation numbers...NO go *raises an angry fist*

they told me I need to call MS Tech support....but..they are closed..and I have to wait til 8am est. WTF? MS doesnt have 24 tech support? As rich as they are..thats utter BS if you ask me.

So apparently, it believes I have made too many hardware changes now, and wont let me activate.

NEVER had this issue before with xp etc... frakin MS and Vista *mutters obscenities and cries *

You must've pressed the button of doom.

Never, push the red button. Unless it's one of those red buttons on candy dispensers, yum yum.

Hopefully tech support can help you out. Last time an activation failed using the phone, I simply rang again and typed in the numbers again, but might not be so lucky :(

gah.

speant 2 hours on phone with MS support. Somehow, I horked the "Software Licensing Service". Never did get it fixed. Even gave me a new Key. Still, no love :mad:

it just never did want to re activate for us.

Something I did ganked my install I guess. Too many activations, I dunno. Even did a restore..same.

LUCKILY!! $$ !!

After a catastrophic data loss a while back, I had implemented a real back up strategy ( for a change, I had actually "gotten around tuit"! ) All my data is on a 2nd drive, which I keep synched to a external drive. And I also had used the Ultimate "complete drive back up deal " which seems to be much like a integrated "ghost - like" image I had extracted to my external. Sadly, last image taken was 2 weeks ago, so lost a little, and ya know, I had a intuition Sunday before I started dorking in the bios, I should recapture that Image, but, I slacked, anyway, after booting to the disc, and restoring from that image on the external, waa laa~ Success!

Guess I need to call MS and close that issue which wasn't resolved.

Anyway, just heads up. back up frequently, if you have Ultimate, use the "complete drive backup"..it works..and saved a complete re install! ya never know when that OC may just push it over the cliff of no return!

I actually got this message in XP once it wasn't as severe an issue that you had. I received it after upgrading a few items on my pc the error was "Due to numerous hardware changes windows requires reactivation." My reactivation code from MS worked.

It seems in this case the system just got confused somehow; losing activation after upgrading several items is perfectly normal and how it's supposed to work (MS want to make sure it's still the same machine), losing the Software Licensing Service is not normal.

well..a poster over at the evga boards seems to have nailed it...

apparently, at one point in my many reboots..I failed to notice and fix the date time stamp in the BIOS.

According to MichaelD over there, he's had the same experience, and once it got horked by trying to log / boot with the bad time stamp, it's fubar, and even MS support can't restore it. UGh

Anyway, just about completely back to my place in time before the failure now, so its all good.

So, watch those BIOS time stamps when playing in the BIOS!

LOL, I forgot that a few times, I'm always reminded when Kaspersky tells me it's disabled & out of date (I have a 5 year license until 2011).

Typical example of DRM hurting legit customers and doing nada to pirates.

Back