Group Policy question (Can I do this?)

Xan

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm learning my way around within the GP editor. There are lots of options to choose from! I want to secure Internet Explorer as much as possible... Is there a way to prevent any and all ie components from being installed? For example when a user browses to a website with flash 7, they would normally get a pop up dialog box and ask if they'd like to install flash 7. I dont want anyone to be able to install any software - period. I can not tell you the amount of hours that I've devoted to reimaging machines from ad/spyware being installed.

I want it to stop!

another option is to download and use Mozilla Firefox, but I then lose all the nice URL options and such thru Group Policy. If I was to download and install Firefox I would like to know if its possible (and how) to setup IE so that it ONLY goes to a list of websites that I've approved (ie our vendor websites). I would want to restrict IE access so they'd be forced to use Firefox.

any ideas, thoughts, opinions?

what are you admins doing w/ GP to combat all the damn ad/spyware?

Under User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer

There are a ton of policies that you can choose from. Maybe change local admin rights to something less then Administrator so they can't install anything?

Unfortunatly I have some estimating and accounting software that requires administrator status to run correctly....

Back