Grounded MB

_Primo_

n00b
A friend of mine decided to build a system himself, he had never put one togather and asked his son-in-law to help. They put everything togather but the system would not boot and I was asked to look at it to see what was wrong. What I discovered was that when the motherboard was put in they did not use the risers so the motherboard obviously grounded out and I'm assuming its ruined, or is it possible that it could have survived? The real question that is nagging me though is what about the CPU and the RAM? Would grounding out the MB get the CPU and RAM as well?

Thanks for you help in advance

_Primo_

It could still work, depends on how forceful they were with the screws I think.

Best case it was really shorted out, so the power supply never started up and it's in fine shape. Worst case it started and blew out every voltage regulator on the motherboard, etc.

It could be fine, it could be completely toasted. No real way to know without putting it together correctly and going for the boot......

Good Luck - B.B.S.

BlindedByScience said:
Best case it was really shorted out, so the power supply never started up and it's in fine shape. Worst case it started and blew out every voltage regulator on the motherboard, etc.

It could be fine, it could be completely toasted. No real way to know without putting it together correctly and going for the boot......

Good Luck - B.B.S.

QFT...I did this on my first build ever. D'oh! Got lucky, that rig is still running 6 years later. Just put the risers in and test it out.

Back