Greylith: All Aluminum Liquid Cooled Vertical SFF

I really like the all grey colour scheme and the industrial design. All those screws make this look amazing. The blue LEDs inside the buttons are a bit tacky, but I understand that they are popular.

Overall 9/10, hope this gets to be a real case soon.

Yeah, I like grey as you can see :p. But I like blue too, and the actual color scheme here is gonna be mostly grey with a bit of blue. I'm planning to use a translucent blue coolant, as well as probably add some blue lighting on the underside.

May I ask how it took you to design this thing so far?

Well, if you're asking how, I used solidworks to make the 3D models, while getting some other models (like the GPU) online. There's not nearly as many assets out there as Sketchup though.

I liked the idea of a vertically oriented components for a small footprint, as well as vertical airflow too. I'm coming from an Elite 110, so I needed space to put two 3.5" drives as well, so the idea of a back compartment to put them in came up. I have a longer explanation in the first post.

Well, if you're asking how, I used solidworks to make the 3D models, while getting some other models (like the GPU) online. There's not nearly as many assets out there as Sketchup though..
You surprised me on this - I didn't have any problems finding good cad drawings in STEP/IGES file formats that could've been imported to solidworks on grabcad site.

Well, if you're asking how, I used solidworks to make the 3D models, while getting some other models (like the GPU) online. There's not nearly as many assets out there as Sketchup though.

I liked the idea of a vertically oriented components for a small footprint, as well as vertical airflow too. I'm coming from an Elite 110, so I needed space to put two 3.5" drives as well, so the idea of a back compartment to put them in came up. I have a longer explanation in the first post.

No, there was just a 'long' missing. How long did the whole process take you?

No, there was just a 'long' missing. How long did the whole process take you?

Oh, no wonder your question was a bit confusing :p

I got the idea to build my own case back in December last year, since then I've just been working on the design in my free time.

You surprised me on this - I didn't have any problems finding good cad drawings in STEP/IGES file formats that could've been imported to solidworks on grabcad site.

Yeah, but I meant that the library of solidworks stuff is relatively smaller compared to the treasure trove of sketchup stuff that people have made out there. There's still definitely a load of great stuff out there though.

Makes me want to learn sketchup more, but solidworks is what I know for now so I'll stick to it for the time being.

Hey guys,

So, I actually have a module this semester which teaches business skills to engineers. Being the forward thinking people my lecturers are, they decided that having everyone form groups and each make a crowdfunding campaign would be a great idea. So, since I already had this case project in the works, I thought it'd be the perfect fit for it.

The design we're gonna be working on for the project is the Greyling, since it's a simple design and not quite as 'unique' as the Greylith, which was made made specifically for my tastes that tend to differ from the norm.

The project is nothing big, and I'm not expecting to sell huge volumes of the case. The fact that it seeks to take advantage of ITX GPUs also limits it somewhat, but that was what the design stemmed from anyway and is what gives it it's small size. So, I'm probably not gonna approach an OEM which'll need probably 300 units or so for it to be worth it . The only other option is making the cases by hand, so I'll need proof of build quality which will be the finished prototype in the next two weeks. The price is expected to be around 60 to 80 USD.

So, would you guys be interested in buying the case? I'd also love to hear what changes you'd like to have in the design.

Also, quick update. I made a proper drive mount for the Greyling.
eche8hS.png

To be honest I am sure most people as I am also are interested in the version that can accommodate full size parts. I would want to buy the case because its one of very few vertical cases and has a side window which would make a good show case if built with contrasting parts.

Back