Grey Screen Problem on 7970.

///AMG

2[H]4U
I have a dual monitor set up right now on my 7970, its a U2711 and a Samsung 24". The U2711 is plugged into the DVI port and the Samsung to the HDMI using the supplied HDMI to DVI that came with the card. I am experiencing some weird problems, mostly while I am using IE for the few things I use it for; the Samsung turns into a Grey Screen with lots of banding and it flickers. So far it has only happened when using IE and only sometimes. I dont think its a problem with the Monitor as my old 5870 never did that, I am using the 13.2 beta 4 drivers. Any Ideas?

Interesting...I had the same thing happen to me this morning. 13.0 drivers on a 7970 with 2 Dell U2410's

Sounds like what I had.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039284018#post1039284018
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039284018&postcount=3 (my post, specifically. Links to my older thread)

It's frustrating just hearing that this is still an issue, after all this time. I hope people will realize that this is an ongoing driver issue with AMD.

A workaround would be to disable hardware acceleration, though you might still get crashes or drops when using other 2D apps, like opening video files.

Been running 3x24" U2410s 1920x1200 Eyefinity with every revision of AMD's drivers since the 7970 was released (crossfired 7970s and before that I had dual 6970s) and have never experienced this grey screen problem people talk about. Care to post some pictures?, I'm curious to see what it looks like.

For me, it was a little different every time, but it sorta looked like the first picture in that thread I just posted the link to. The grey striped lines came up more often than not, though I've seen checkerboard patterns, green screens, a frozen screen, and just black.

Haha, wow didn't even notice there was a pic. Never seen anything like it. All I've ever experienced is hard system locks during burn in sessions when fiddling with my CPU voltage to find the bare minimum needed to run at my overclocked speeds.

Mine is the same every time. It looks exactly like the first pic You have in the first thread except its always grey. Also I can almost force it to happen only when using Internet explorer though. I wonder why.

This happened 4 or 5 times on my Sapphire 7970 OC. It only happens on the desktop using Firefox or sometimes when i launched steam. Running 13.1

This happens to me sometimes randomly on my Sapphire 7970OC when launching videos or sometimes steam. Did a fresh install of Win 8 and have the newest drivers 13.4
I'm debating sending my card back for a replacement.

Possible solution/fix.

If anyone is still following this thread.

I had the problem mainly in Steam, when showing game trailers the screen would freeze up as OP describes.

Think I found a solution to this issue, it has to do with voltage and the changing of core/mem frequency between idle mode and 3D mode.

Used MSI afterburner.
  • enable "unofficial overclocking mode"
  • without "powerplay" support.
  • set both 2D and 3D profile to max speed 955/1375 (I have Powercolor OC edition )

This will force a constant core/mem setting.

Note, this will increase the idle GPU temp so you need to have good cooling, before 38°C up to 56°C.

Back