Grey Screen Of Death?!?

justapix

Weaksauce
I got this screen yesterday after trying to load windows on my system has anyone seen this before?!?! what cause's it, it happened after my computer restarted it self while installing windows...

gsod9yy.jpg

OH no that was a windows XP install....

I've been having problems with my system.... not sure if its my motherboard or not.

I was just curious if anyone has ever seen this screen before or not...

1 - disconnect all hardware/cards other than the primary hard drive, graphics card, ram, cpu, and cd drive. get this machine down to the bare minimum needed to install an o.s.
2 - (using another machine with a cdrw drive) goto memtest.org, download the latest version of "memtest", and have it check you system memory.
3 - if that passes, try installing to a different hard drive

if you get this far and everything is working, get all service packs and updates.

then start adding one piece of hardware back into the machine. make sure you get all files installed as needed, test the specific hardware, and restart the machine several times. repeat this exact process for each piece of hardware. when you start seeing problems, you'll know what the one thing that was added that is now causing the machine to act naughty.

Looks like the Xp install wrote something to a bad sector on the HDD, right before a reboot. That is a kernal trap mode error... generally, it means the install is borked.

Suggestion:

Run the HDD manufacturer tools, check the disk for bad sectors/ drive health.
If it passes, reinstall XP after formatting the disk.
If it fails, replace the drive, and try again.

Back