Grey Screen Crash?.....

lbj.

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I've been getting this grey screen crash with verical lines on my display all of today...You can see in my sig my system and what my OC's are

I've test the GPU with heaven at highest settings at that OC and it was stable, same with MSI Kombustor and 3DMark11.
The CPU is also stable after running IBT at highest memory testing over 20+ runs various times, and also with Prime95.

What I dont get is that I dont get this "grey screen crash" unless I use firefox to browse. I was fine watching a 2hr+ video opened in the browser. I can play games for hours and be fine. But if I'm web surfing it just crashes after some time (can be 5-10 minutes to 30 minutes, etc.).
I've never seen this problem before on any other computer, though this one is very new, only about 10 days old.

These errors are usually due to a failing graphics card. But I have seen errors as you describe caused by flash. I was hoping that it was just the flash problem which is an easy fix instead of having to rma your card. If the card is new just return/exchange it or rma it.

Just saw the above post. maybe there still is some hope without rma.

Just read through that thread and it's pretty much the exact same situation... I guess I can go the route of reinstalling everything (drivers, firefox, flash). Before that I'll try browsing for a while in Chrome first, but it seems ridiculous that I would even have to do that...

I really think its an AMD driver/Firefox issue which is frustrating but doesn't necessarily say its a defective card. Its just something AMD or Firefox needs to sort out.

I'm also getting these "AppHangB1" crashes in games, I actually have been in Civ 5 for quite a while, and I looked up online and saw that people had that problem but it was when the game was first released. I loaded up Left 4 Dead 2 to try it out and also getting the same crash.

I see that "AppHangB1" is a driver issue, but could it also be any hardware problem? Memory? Vid Card?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C000001D
BCP2: FFFFF80002CD753D
BCP3: FFFFF880089EAAF0
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\070412-3806-01.dmp
C:\Users\ricks\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-7004-0.sysdata.xml

I had a similar issue, but my screen just went to a blank blue screen. Just did a fresh install of Windows 7 and no problems so far. Running latest 12.6 catalyst with my 7850.

try basic troubleshooting, no overclocks - default memory timings etc. If it crashes at stock then take a closer look at the card but eliminate possible other causes.

Hi guys,

I've been getting this grey screen crash with verical lines on my display all of today...You can see in my sig my system and what my OC's are

I've test the GPU with heaven at highest settings at that OC and it was stable, same with MSI Kombustor and 3DMark11.
The CPU is also stable after running IBT at highest memory testing over 20+ runs various times, and also with Prime95.

What I dont get is that I dont get this "grey screen crash" unless I use firefox to browse. I was fine watching a 2hr+ video opened in the browser. I can play games for hours and be fine. But if I'm web surfing it just crashes after some time (can be 5-10 minutes to 30 minutes, etc.).
I've never seen this problem before on any other computer, though this one is very new, only about 10 days old.
I have the same issue, and more than likey you are experiencing the issue described in this thread --> http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33991725

Read through that one. Most likely AMD needs to update their driver.

try basic troubleshooting, no overclocks - default memory timings etc. If it crashes at stock then take a closer look at the card but eliminate possible other causes.

Couldn't agree more. Anytime there's an instability when you have PC components overclocked, start by resetting them to their default clocks and see if the problem still exists, this will tell right away if its a hardware issue or a software issue.

Couldn't agree more. Anytime there's an instability when you have PC components overclocked, start by resetting them to their default clocks and see if the problem still exists, this will tell right away if its a hardware issue or a software issue.

This issue is not related to overclocking. See thread above I linked.

This issue is not related to overclocking. See thread above I linked.

OK, but if you're overclocking your CPU and/or memory and you haven't tried backing down your overclocks just to check then I don't care about any link you posted since basic troubleshooting always starts with default clocks first. You may be at stock clocks, but the OP doesn't seem to be and he should always start their first.

OK, but if you're overclocking your CPU and/or memory and you haven't tried backing down your overclocks just to check then I don't care about any link you posted since basic troubleshooting always starts with default clocks first. You may be at stock clocks, but the OP doesn't seem to be and he should always start their first.

The issue occurs whether overclocking or not. This has nothing to do with "basic troubleshooting tips" so why not read the thread I linked as it contains highly relevant and pertinent information related to the problem at hand. I think everyone who builds PC's knows to return to stock first and foremost as the first step. This is issue a bit more complex than simply returning to stock speeds. Considering this crash happens on the desktop where overclocked speeds don't come into play the advice really makes no sense.

The issue occurs whether overclocking or not. This has nothing to do with "basic troubleshooting tips" so why not read the thread I linked as it contains highly relevant and pertinent information related to the problem at hand. I think everyone who builds PC's knows to return to stock first and foremost as the first step. This is issue a bit more complex than simply returning to stock speeds. Considering this crash happens on the desktop where overclocked speeds don't come into play the advice really makes no sense.

That advice always make sense as a starting point, I question your level of troubleshooting to say otherwise. Always the first place to start, period.

That advice always make sense as a starting point, I question your level of troubleshooting to say otherwise. Always the first place to start, period.

Yep, and as stated, already been tried and proven to not fix the issue, hence why I linked to thread where the issue has already been troubleshooted and identified.

This may sound stupid to you guys but it works for me.

I keep a old hard drive on hand that has windows and basic drivers that came with the hardware installed. "don't update anything keep it stock"

when i run in to strange problems i cant figure out i swap hard drives, if the problem goes away then its software related not hardware.

It takes 5 min to swap drives and test if its hardware or software related.

It beats the hell out of doing a RMA on a peace of hardware that may not be broken.:(

Back