Greenhouse Gases Rate of Incresase, Lowest in 19 Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
Greenhouse Gases rate of increase is at its lowest in 19 years? You guys had better put those bad habits back in high gear or else Al Gore will be out of a job.

Carbon-dioxide emissions from fossil fuels recorded their largest drop in 19 years last year, the federal government's chief clearinghouse for energy information reported, adding new fodder to the debate in Congress about how -- or whether -- to reduce greenhouse gases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad headline on the part of the Washington Times. It's the lowest rate of increase in 19 years, not the lowest levels in 19 years. Global atmospheric CO2 is still 30% higher than the next-highest peak level of the last 400,000 years. As for what caused the slower greenhouse gas production last year, economic slowdown will do that. We should have a global economic crisis every year! /sarcasm

We need to declare war on volcanic activities and war on the dynamo if we are to stop global warming. War on! I get the m82!

Alright alright, I'll go bust out my mass storage of CFC Spraycans. I knew my stockpile would come handy one day, and today is that day.

Talk about a misleading article. This is why we need to keep politics, business and the news out of bed with each other.

Bad headline on the part of the Washington Times. It's the lowest rate of increase in 19 years, not the lowest levels in 19 years. Global atmospheric CO2 is still 30% higher than the next-highest peak level of the last 400,000 years. As for what caused the slower greenhouse gas production last year, economic slowdown will do that. We should have a global economic crisis every year! /sarcasm

I must agree about the bad headline...

Bad "journalism" is why this country is a mess. 99% of people go "OMG! It was on the news! It must be EXACTLY how they say it is!"

:rolleyes:

Yes it is a horrible headline to begin with, but the entire premise of CO2 emissions as being the true culprit of global warming,... er, climate change (sorry, i forgot that the lefty envirokooks changed the name of this crisis again) is stupid. How people are being duped by this nonsense is mystifying to me. It borders as mass hypnosis and fat blubbering demagogues like Al Gore and his sycophants are set to profit big from it too. At last count this fraud has made nearly 200 million from cap and trade and the carbon footprint offset racket.

Yes it is a horrible headline to begin with, but the entire premise of CO2 emissions as being the true culprit of global warming,... er, climate change (sorry, i forgot that the lefty envirokooks changed the name of this crisis again) is stupid. How people are being duped by this nonsense is mystifying to me. It borders as mass hypnosis and fat blubbering demagogues like Al Gore and his sycophants are set to profit big from it too. At last count this fraud has made nearly 200 million from cap and trade and the carbon footprint offset racket.

Assuming either side actually knows what is causing global warming (and consequently the global cooling afterwards)

Kind of a no shit story. We're in a recession, which means less people will be traveling. And while correlation isn't necessarily causation, I'll bet the fact that there's less people driving and flying around is the cause of this.

Kind of a no shit story. We're in a recession, which means less people will be traveling. And while correlation isn't necessarily causation, I'll bet the fact that there's less people driving and flying around is the cause of this.

You don't get to claim the "no shit, sherlock" aknowledgement when the article already pointed that out.

High oil price, recession cited

And isn't it fuynny the global temperature has been continously dropping since 2006?

Maybe Gore was wrong?

Maybe he did not build the internet?

Maybe he is an idiot?

Yeah, title is really misleading. It's like saying my weight's dropped this year, when in reality I just gained 30lbs this year rather than the 60lbs I gained last year.

And isn't it fuynny the global temperature has been continously dropping since 2006?

Maybe Gore was wrong?

Maybe he is an idiot?

Or maybe its the variance that any cycle, man-made or natural, has?

(don't post a mathematical sine wave telling me there is no variance there, i know)

Usually the anti-AGW news posts are at least thinly veiled as tech-related. It's unfortunate that the one that isn't is so obviously flawed it's hilarious.

so a recession is good for the environment? what would you rather have, global warming or a recession?

[H]adouken!;1034145953 said:
so a recession is good for the environment? what would you rather have, global warming or a recession?

I'd rather have no recession and alternative energy paid for with the hundreds of billions GIVEN AWAY to banks for screwing up by being complete selfish and criminally negligent.

I'd rather have those hundreds of billions of dollars given back to the people. Oh wait, it's just monopoly money that keeps getting pulled out of thin air that we end up paying for it with more/new taxes being instituted.

I'd rather have those hundreds of billions of dollars given back to the people. Oh wait, it's just monopoly money that keeps getting pulled out of thin air that we end up paying for it with more/new taxes being instituted.

That would be ideal of course.

Since CO2 is such a pollutant, everyone should stop breathing and especially exercising, considering that's what we exhale.

Will someone please vote Henry Waxman out of office?

Assuming either side actually knows what is causing global warming (and consequently the global cooling afterwards)

Primary producer of weather on earth is the sun. Coupled with atmospheric dust, it's proportions, gas content, and water vapor. One major volcanic eruption that lasts for anywhere from a couple of days to something like a Kilauea type of event and you have gas quantities that outstrip anything man has ever produced. It's a system that works and works quite well. It's arrogance of a different order to think that we as a species have such a profound effect on earths ability to cool or warm that we would be willing to cut our own throats so that a tiny segment of the global population can ausage their collective guilt at harming a ball of rock that has been here for 4.5 billion years and has had far worse cataclysmic events from several total species extinctions to near global ice ages way way way before we ever showed up.

It's not about what side has the monopoly on what's causing it, but rather it's about knowing what side is trying to bamboozle the rest of the population into actually thinking that this is something legitimate, is reasoned, and that we are willing to change our entire ways of life because of it. It's a fiction and people are profiting from it and people are proselytizing entire public policy as a function of government action and laws because of it. And I know what side is committing this malignant fraud on the global population.

Maybe Gore was wrong?

Maybe he is an idiot?

Oh no. Al Gore is anything but an idiot. He is a very very clever con man that has been able to turn enough people to his cause to allow him and others to profit from it. This is not a hard thing to chart.

Since CO2 is such a pollutant, everyone should stop breathing and especially exercising, considering that's what we exhale.

Henry Waxman is one of the dumbest men in Congress. Just monumentally stupid on all levels. The fact that his autonomic nervous system still can function under the strain of his level of stupid is a mystery. This man is going to foist along with his other lefty envirokook cohorts a system of taxation on business that is going to effectively cripple many industries as we know it.

Maybe Gore was wrong?

Maybe he is an idiot?
Hahahaha! So let me get this straight. The earth's temperature has been steady rising for the past 100 years and you cite 3 years as evidence that the tide has turned.

Sorry, but nice try. :eek:

By the way, 2005 was the hottest year on record.

2006 was just the mere fifth hottest year on record. :rolleyes:

Let's put some things into perspective:

The average person has a breath with a volume of 500ml (0.5l).

A normal intake of breath in normal atmospheric composition, as such contains 0.0360% CO2 or 0.18ml of CO2 intake. However we breathe out about 5% CO2 or 25ml with an average of 13,000 breaths a day. Thats 325,000ml (325L )of CO2 Which means by the end of the day, a person on average will exhale 1kg of CO2.

So, every day, humans release 2.2 lbs of carbon dioxide into the air from breathing. That's 803 lbs in a year.

Now, let's look at how much that contributes to overall emissions:

The average American per capita emission is 5 tons of carbon annually, which translates into 10,000 lbs released every year So in the end breathing contributed a mere 0.083% of a person's annual CO2 emissions. That is less than 1 percent.

I'm sorry, but your argument doesn't hold any water. Time to sing a different tune. ;)

Water vapor is the largest greenhouse gas effector. Stop the sun and evaporation!

Hahahaha! So let me get this straight. The earth's temperature has been steady rising for the past 100 years and you cite 3 years as evidence that the tide has turned.

And man has been the major cause of it! Oh wait, we're hardly affecting it. lol manmade global warming.

No, it actually took a long drop from the 50's to 70's, so much so that all the scientists and politicians were worried about global cooling devestating mankind.

Reality is we have only been directly and accurately monitoring temperature since after WW2. The rest of the data is someone's interpretation of second hand information (boy, it was hot in Mississippi that year wasn't it...yassir its was) and dirt samples.

I just think it's junk science because it is so political.

Let's put some things into perspective:

The average person has a breath with a volume of 500ml (0.5l).

A normal intake of breath in normal atmospheric composition, as such contains 0.0360% CO2 or 0.18ml of CO2 intake. However we breathe out about 5% CO2 or 25ml with an average of 13,000 breaths a day. Thats 325,000ml (325L )of CO2 Which means by the end of the day, a person on average will exhale 1kg of CO2.

So, every day, humans release 2.2 lbs of carbon dioxide into the air from breathing. That's 803 lbs in a year.

Now, let's look at how much that contributes to overall emissions:

The average American per capita emission is 5 tons of carbon annually, which translates into 10,000 lbs released every year So in the end breathing contributed a mere 0.083% of a person's annual CO2 emissions. That is less than 1 percent.

I'm sorry, but your argument doesn't hold any water. Time to sing a different tune. ;)

Dammnit...you forgot to comment on cow farts!!!

Back