Green problem?

mkerr

n00b
Hi.
Yesterday installed new ELSA 6600gt card.

Everything seemed the goods.
uninstalled old drivers
used that driver whiping tool to clean them again in safe mode
installed new card with latest drivers from nvidia 7.7.?.?

fired up BF2, there were occasional green flickers etc and randomly paused for a few seconds?

guessed it was just the game.

fired up brothers in arms road to hill 30.
green shit everywhere.
here's a screenshot.
shot.jpg

any ideas what the problem could be? i've googled with no luck :(

That is absolutely weird! Never seen anything like it... if you were getting flickering though, chances are it's artifacting and you may have a dud card on your hands. But I don't know... do you have the latest chipset drivers and Direct X (stupid question, but I hafta ask)

I put my money on dead card...

I've never seen anything like that before.

I'd try the card on a bare system first. Unplug/remove everything from the system but one stick of ram, video card, one harddrive and one optical drive. If there's no change, I'd try it on another system.

The best people to ask about things like these are the technical support representatives from the manufacturer. Email them, they won't bite.

I can help you out with that. go into nvidia panel under color correction you will see a tab called all channels clik it open and click on green. you will see in a black chart a line with dots go to the center dot and click it and pull it slightly to the right and it will take the green out. I've done this myself.

try to reset ur driver settin or in the worst case scenario ---> bad card or the heat killin 6600gt core

thanks for the replies.
i'll give the colour thingy a shot, however, it's not always too green. it's only occasionally. eg. if i pull up the BIA menu, it's all normal and looks great.

i'll be pissed if it's a dud card.
might ring shop and see if they've got any ideas. :confused:

that colour correction thing doesn't seem to be the fix.
that'd be sweet if it was permanent. however, it's occasional. it switches from being fine to shit.

:mad:

here's some more screens from BIA
changed to lower res, same probs.
i'm guessing dead card :(

hope there's no dramas exchanging.
shot2.jpg

shot3.jpg

huh?
how could it be the monitor cable?

it's fine normally (desktop)
fine for most of BF2, and is patchy in BIA.

the joys of troubleshooting... will try tomorrow after work.

try cleaning the mold off your monitor, for once, jesus christ. :p

Looks like a dead card, or some really funky color settings. Good luck.

got me puzzled.
hehe
at least it's not a driver issue and all things point to faulty hardware.
should make exchange easier.

now i just hope the people i bought it from don't waste my time testing it for weeks...

My monitor cable got all crapified like that and if it was moved to the left th colors would change on the monitor. If to the right it would be normal.

Check the cable; move it around and see if it changes things.

edit: lokking at those pics again there are splotches not solid green. I would say your card is f'ed up.

Shmuckety said:
My monitor cable got all crapified like that and if it was moved to the left th colors would change on the monitor. If to the right it would be normal.

Check the cable; move it around and see if it changes things.

edit: lokking at those pics again there are splotches not solid green. I would say your card is f'ed up.

A problem with the monitor cable would not affect in game screen shots FYI.

i once broke a pin in my monitor cable....only thing that happened is the color red didnt show up at all....what are the odds of that one eh?

You are totally right. I didn't even think about that.

Also if it was a connector or vga cable issue there would not be blobs of color like that.

Ohh.. that kind of green problem... lol. Looks like a driver issue - maybe... I would try different drivers before calling it a bad card...

Did you try running RivaTuner in the background to track real time temps?

o/t: is that game fun? I really want a good singleplayer FPS and I've been done with MOH:AA and HL2. I could fire up Call of Duty: UO but meh.

unfortunately, i was bored of it within hours.
:(

card's been sent back, DOA, hopefully get a replacement within a week. BF2 awaits.
strangely, it didn't have much drama with BF2, just the occasional green artifacts, and occasional hang if on too high settings. other than that, was awesome fun.

I have the same exact thing happening to my 6600GT. I have no idea what is causing it. I tried several drivers, reformats and what not. It was working fine for about 3 months then one day green spots flashing all over. I guess i gotta call and see if i can get this thing RMA'd its only about 4 months old.

Now i'm fucking fuming.

Hi people.
I've only just been told that they've tested the card, and apparently can't find any dramas with it...

Here's the email
Good news and bad news.

The good news is that we have some news regarding your return.

The bad news is that it has been extensively tested, and no fault has been found. The green splotches on your game must be caused by something else. The techs at the service department suspect it might be your RAM.

I'll send your card back to you ASAP, please accept our apologies for the delay.

I can't see how it could be my fucking ram. I've tested the card on my brother's computer (using Corsair), and mine uses Kingston. My old card, Gefore 4400ti has no dramas what-so-ever.

Any advise? I'm stumped and fucking fuming. I've read about similar problems on [h] and in all cases the cards were replaced promptly as it was a dead card. If they try to shaft me with the card, which i'm certain is faulty, what should i do?

Thanks in advance, :(

mkerr said:
problem solved.
was a dying psu.
:D

How bizarre!

Well, good to know Elsa was telling the truth. Saying it was the RAM was kinda silly, but so is blaming the power supply (even though it's the truth in this case, haha.)

Back