Green line scrolls my screen

Yoblad

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,
If this is the wrong forum please move it. I could've swore we had a HT forum here :confused:

I bought one of those home theater in a box things from Best Buy a year ago. It's panasonic, I can get the specific model if you need. Anyway, this has been a problem from day 1 and I haven't found anyone who knows how to fix it.

When playing DVD's, I get this 1" thick horizontal green line that scrolls up the screen in progressive scan mode. In interlaced mode, the line is a much darker green, almost black. Same when using s-video as opposed to component. This is on a 27" Samsung HDTV and I've had no problems with any other dvd players on this TV. Regular stuff works just fine (like from the dish) but playing DVD's I get this crap. Not just some DVD's...ALL of them. It doesn't do it at the main menu, or at the FBI warning, just when the actual film is playing. I've tried buying expensive cables, securing the power to the amp away from any other cables, changing power outlets, etc. It doesn't seem like interference because the line is perfect and constant. Could it be macrovision protection? If so, how do I stop it from doing this? It's not running through a VCR or anything. Could it be a power problem? I've got a spare UPS I can use to filter the power. Please, any help is appreciated. I have a feeling Panasonic's tech support will be less than helpful. :(

Yoblad said:
Hello,
If this is the wrong forum please move it. I could've swore we had a HT forum here :confused:

I bought one of those home theater in a box things from Best Buy a year ago. It's panasonic, I can get the specific model if you need. Anyway, this has been a problem from day 1 and I haven't found anyone who knows how to fix it.

When playing DVD's, I get this 1" thick horizontal green line that scrolls up the screen in progressive scan mode. In interlaced mode, the line is a much darker green, almost black. Same when using s-video as opposed to component. This is on a 27" Samsung HDTV and I've had no problems with any other dvd players on this TV. Regular stuff works just fine (like from the dish) but playing DVD's I get this crap. Not just some DVD's...ALL of them. It doesn't do it at the main menu, or at the FBI warning, just when the actual film is playing. I've tried buying expensive cables, securing the power to the amp away from any other cables, changing power outlets, etc. It doesn't seem like interference because the line is perfect and constant. Could it be macrovision protection? If so, how do I stop it from doing this? It's not running through a VCR or anything. Could it be a power problem? I've got a spare UPS I can use to filter the power. Please, any help is appreciated. I have a feeling Panasonic's tech support will be less than helpful. :(

Why on earth would you live with this problem for a year? BB will probably ask you the same question. Doesn’t look like macro vision that usually runs very dark to very bright, but it sure does sound like a video decoding problem.

The only way I could see this as a power problem is if one of your components has a three-wire plug on the end. This can cause a “ground loop” issue and can give scrolling bars. If you have a three-wire plug get a “cheater” plug and don’t hook up the ground wire.

If that doesn’t fix it, well good luck with BB and or Panasonic. If there is hope it’s that Panasonic will treat you, the customer far differently if you contact them directly. If any retail store asks for “understanding” a year later they get laughed at, but a customer stands a better chance of success. Don’t count on it a year later though

Luck

Back