• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Green and black plugs?

Dillusion

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 21, 2003
Messages
5,465
I recently took out my friends old Altec Lansing 4.1 set to replace my logitech Z3 2.1 set for some testing on my XFi. The 2.1 set only had one green plug but this 4.1 set has a green and a black. Is the green the front channels and the black is rear channels? When I plug just the green plug into the main audio port, i get sound out of all 4 speakers. It makes no difference if the black plug is plugged in or not. There is a 'surround' nob on the main front speaker that lets you adjust the 'surround' i guess, when its on full, all 4 speakers have sound, and when its on low only the two fronts have sound...

What I dont understand is why the black plug is there? I had it plugged into line out 2 under the green plug on my XFi but it did nothing. Yes I had my XFi to 4.1 mode and gaming mode.
 
The black plug is usually for the 2 back speakers. Sounds like the "surround" knob is just matrixing the front channels so you get sound out of the back channels.
 
So how do i make the black plug work, where do i plug it into my XFi, and what options do i need to change.

When i have everything setup 'right' (i think), and i do the speaker test, the rear channels dont respond.
 
Theyre the AVS500. I had the green plug in the one under the MIC and the black one under that.
 
Back
Top