I want to set up a home server that runs 24x7 and consumes as little energy as possible.
My software requirements are:
Win 2k3 Domain Controller/DNS
Print server
Azureus
TVersity
Web Server
Unknown future needs
I am currently running an old Inspiron 8000 laptop with a p3 1ghz and 512mb RAM (its already upgraded as high as it will go). I have a couple of external drives connected to a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card for storage. This system is constantly at 500+mb mem usage and the cpu is nowhere near fast enough for TVersitys on the fly encoding, so I am looking into getting something more powerful. I have been looking at a Shuttle K45 or a Dell Inspiron 531 because they are both supposed to be highly energy efficient. The Dell has a big case, and I am under the impression that it is efficient as a normal use desktop, but wouldnt be as efficient in the way that I want to use it.
What are some other options for this? Would a new laptop be a better solution? Or should I just build something from scratch using components marketed as low energy?
Thank you.
My software requirements are:
Win 2k3 Domain Controller/DNS
Print server
Azureus
TVersity
Web Server
Unknown future needs
I am currently running an old Inspiron 8000 laptop with a p3 1ghz and 512mb RAM (its already upgraded as high as it will go). I have a couple of external drives connected to a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card for storage. This system is constantly at 500+mb mem usage and the cpu is nowhere near fast enough for TVersitys on the fly encoding, so I am looking into getting something more powerful. I have been looking at a Shuttle K45 or a Dell Inspiron 531 because they are both supposed to be highly energy efficient. The Dell has a big case, and I am under the impression that it is efficient as a normal use desktop, but wouldnt be as efficient in the way that I want to use it.
What are some other options for this? Would a new laptop be a better solution? Or should I just build something from scratch using components marketed as low energy?
Thank you.