Votes: 25 6.5%
  • Pong

Votes: 26 6.8%
  • Tribes

Votes: 20 5.2%
  • Myst

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
this thread should be renamed "i like counterstrike so i want everyone to vote for Halflife as the best game ever... to help your vote i will only include shitty ass games in the voting poll"

Halflife is a DECENT game.. but it is nowhere near best PC game ever... not even close

Your missing some really good games on there. What about Deus Ex, people love that game. I chose Half-Life because I really enjoy CS.

Tygerwoody said:
this thread should be renamed "i like counterstrike so i want everyone to vote for Halflife as the best game ever... to help your vote i will only include shitty ass games in the voting poll"

Halflife is a DECENT game.. but it is nowhere near best PC game ever... not even close

Haha... good point.

This really should be seperated into category. I mean, Starcraft was a great strategy game, which makes it hard to compare against other games in other categories.

In terms of bang for the buck it would have to be the Tribes series. About the only problem was you needed a lot of scripts to be able to compete in the original, but once you got them and mastered the engine it was a whole new game. Kind of like the way strafe jumping and maxfps tweaks change the way q3 engine games can be played.

The only reason the game is not more popular is because gamers are generally very selfish in public servers and teamwork is rare there except in veteran servers. I hope that Tribes Vengeance improves on the series instead of taking a step backwards as T2 did.

I voted for HL, but if Baldur's Gate (1 or 2) or the first Fallout was on the poll, I would have picked one of those. :)

Of all the games mentioned, the best by far (IMHO) is Tie Fighter.

"Halflife is a DECENT game.. but it is nowhere near best PC game ever... not even close"

We're all entitled to our opinions, like mine above about Tie Fighter. Another one of my opinions is that, Half Life IS one of the best games ever and to say other wise is just trying to be "different". Now, once again, this just my opinion, but I can't see how any serious pc gaming fan can say such a thing about such an all time classic.

This all depends on if your trying to choose the "Best Game Ever" as in most played, or "Best Game Ever" as in most innovative or the game that changed the way games are made/played the most

in my opinion i would have to say that the doom or quake series are the best, i mean look at half-life, it was even based off the quake2 engine...

CantAimWhenDrunk said:
Of all the games mentioned, the best by far (IMHO) is Tie Fighter.

"Halflife is a DECENT game.. but it is nowhere near best PC game ever... not even close"

We're all entitled to our opinions, like mine above about Tie Fighter. Another one of my opinions is that, Half Life IS one of the best games ever and to say other wise is just trying to be "different". Now, once again, this just my opinion, but I can't see how any serious pc gaming fan can say such a thing about such an all time classic.

Maybe becuase some of us don't suffer from the 'oh but it's a classic' syndrome. I played HL for the first time about a month ago [beat it in a few sittings] and I came away from it thinking good but not great.

But I will agree with you on Tie Fighter, bloody brilliant game, even today.

Vagrant Zero said:
But I will agree with you on Tie Fighter, bloody brilliant game, even today.

Oh, I loved that game so much. It was one of my first, when my parents bought me the LucasArts 6 pack (Rebel Assaul I & II, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces, Making Magic (a movie thing), then one other thing...) for christmas. I couldn't stop playing that game. I've tried to get it to work recently, but Windows XP hates it. :(

MrSiki99 said:
everquest? bah CS is tha greatest! actually DOD might be better....

man i love dod....
im glad not as many people play it though, means less hacks.

Deadlierchair said:
Oh, I loved that game so much. It was one of my first, when my parents bought me the LucasArts 6 pack (Rebel Assaul I & II, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces, Making Magic (a movie thing), then one other thing...) for christmas. I couldn't stop playing that game. I've tried to get it to work recently, but Windows XP hates it. :(
did you try running it using compatability modes, my copy works except the music is stuck on max volume. I have the 95/98 version. (lost my original copy, bought a new one ~7 years after the game came out, amazon still had it in stock)

NO age of empires or mythology :(
NO Unreal Tournament Games
NO Sim CIty series

BOGUS POLL :(

ONLY fun in cs was mic spamming and pushing my old pc to the limit. Once you upgrade you never go back.

Best game, well i only play fighers now, but i guess ill go with warcraft 3. Like it but cant play it but its still fun (only like it cause i love medevil and fantasy stuff like that.)

I don't know if it's the greatest, but I don't think I ever spent more time playing a game than I did when Civ came out.

your right, this thread is highly misleading and biased. it is missing a good deal of mainstream games. also, i do believe that halflife and CS are seperate entities. mainly because CS was sold as a seperate game, so most of the people who have played CS have never played HL. they ARE different. just because its on the same engine doesn't mean its the same game.

I personally would take Total Annihilation, Morrowind, or quite possibly Fallout. Its a toss up... I voted for CnC because it's closest to TA

i picked halflife, but there are so many great games missing.

here's my list (abbridged, because i forgot some:p) of my favorite games (not in any order):
> Unreal Tournament (in all it's wonderous forms, the original got me started)
> Half-Life (mods are fun... i liked the opera)
> Max Payne (original is awesome, #2 i haven't plated much yet)
> NWN (it's fun)
> GTA3. 'nuff said.
> Painkiller (played for a little while, but it kicked ass, nice and fast paced)
> Tetris. it's what keeps me (partly) sane while my main rig is dead.
> Solitaire (come on now, you know you wanted to mention this one)
> This one physics simulation where you fling a guy at a wall with a truck and try to inflict maximum damage... can't think of the name ATM
> Rollercoaster Tycoon
> Sid Meier's Sim Golf (dear god i've wasted so much time with that game)

so that's my basic list. of those, i'd probably have to call UT2k4 or Max Payne my overall favorite.

Qwertyman said:
TOTAL ANNIHILATION! period.

holy crap yes! i cant believe other people still play this game!!!

its finally playable with giant maps and a gig of ram... game was wayyyyyy ahead of its time!

from that list i picked Command & Conquer... but as long as it DOES NOT include the EA "Command & Conquer" games... i put it in quotes becuase they have absolutely NOTHING to do with the great C&C series and were an insult to all the die-hard C&C people imho

I'd like to tell you TA freaks about UA, the TA MOD for UT. :p

P.S.:
It's not really playable yet. hopes are that it will be by the end of the year.
[edit] forgot link:
ua.tauniverse.com

FLECOM said:

its finally playable with giant maps and a gig of ram... game was wayyyyyy ahead of its time!

from that list i picked Command & Conquer... but as long as it DOES NOT include the EA "Command & Conquer" games... i put it in quotes becuase they have absolutely NOTHING to do with the great C&C series and were an insult to all the die-hard C&C people imho

Hell yeah i have lan parties, we dont play counter strike or UT2k4 or Farcry...

We play Total Annihilation! by the way ive read that Total Annihilation 2 is on the way...

FLECOM said:

dude u wanna play sometime ill set it up on my computer and we'll go Metal board with 8 players lets do this, anyone wanna setup a server and do this cause i'm so ready for it

DarkDonut said:
Tribes 4 Life
To this day I still cannot decide which one is better, Quake 1 (Team Fortress and CTF mods) or Tribes1.... both were equally addicting, both took about 2-3 years out of my life.

cs has taken 7 years of my life......i really just made this thread to see how many people would vote for half life

If you don't revise the list and add "Zork" the baby jesus will die...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I voted for CS - Crack-Strike, yes I'm *still* that addicted.

DS

Pfffft.

Strike Commander and Wing Commander Privateer aren't listed.

Tribes 1 & 2 = best games ever.

Besides those two, I hate FPS games

Freelancer was also good, .. Civilization 3 is definitely great, as are IL-2 and Mafia.

Tribes 1 was one of the greatest; thats what I played before CS. The rocket packs were a beautiful thing, and Shifter was awesome. Good times...definetly. I didn't like Tribes 2 much though...

im sory but all of you are incorrect, for you see the greatest game of all time is Ninja Gaiden for xbox. :p

I would have to go with Half-Life. It was the first FPS I've played where I actually felt immersed in the world, with the cool intro sequence, NPCs interacting with you, and an actual plot.

I am way too lazy to make another poll, but if anyone feels motivated enough they should make a poll for each genre...that would be swell.! :p

Back