• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Great LCD for under $460

mlapgw

Gawd
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
552
I had to return the first monitor I bought so I must not know what I'm doing when it comes to picking out an LCD. I didn't want to spend more than 369.00 but I think I'm going to need to do that. I can put in another 100 to put me at about 460. I use AutoCad during the day (all 2d work no 3d). I play all sorts of games including FPS.
I was looking at the wide screens because they seem more natural to the eyes. The reason I'm shying away from them though is I don't think Battlefield 2 will play widescreen. So what happens then, when a game does not support wide screen? Do you end up playing it with the edges cropped out?
What about a 20" non-widescreen? I can't send to find one below 16ms. I like the improved resolution, pixle pitch, and size over a 19" but am worried about ghosting.
For a 19" I was looking at the Viewsonic VP930b. I like the contrast ratio and 16.7 million colors but again am worried about how the games will play.

I am running a 7800GT graphics card.

Need some good advice here.
 
BF2 does not "officially" support widescreen, there is a small edit you can make to the shortcut to make it display in wide screen, it is not stretched either

dalian.jpg
 
mlapgw,

I do the same thing - 2d AutoCAD and games. Get the Dell 2005FPW and be happy like I am.
 
LYLHomer,

Thanks good to hear from someone working with Cad. I'm real curious to see how Cad looks in widescreen.
I use it to design dental offices accross the US. What are you doing?

I think the AutoCad will be fine, I used to use an LCD 2 years ago with it and had no problems.

The games are important too though. The response time is higher on a widescreen than I can get with a 19". Unfortunately I'm reading that all the specs may tend to be big lies. So I guess the best way to do this is to go off of user opinions since I probably can't go down to the local store and play hours of games on all of their monitors.

You seem to like your wide screen. How is gaming? Are you seeing blurring, ghosting, tearing?
 
[LYL]Homer said:
mlapgw,

I do the same thing - 2d AutoCAD and games. Get the Dell 2005FPW and be happy like I am.
I disagree. I have a 2005fpw, and I am back on a CRT. The dell just seemed jerky to me, for gaming I wouldn't recommend it.
 
Yeah, I thought about just sticking with a CRT because everyone says it's better.
I have to take my work on the road 2-4 times a year. I have been using a laptop screen. In my line of work it would be really nice to have the larger screen than what a latop provides me. I don't want to be carrying a CRT through the airport or be lugging it through a convention hall to my booth.
So the LCD is a good choice for me. I think any LCD is fine for my Cad work. I want to get the best LCD for gaming that I can afford (which is around 460). I know that it may be inferior to a CRT but the size thing is an important issue for me.
 
Ok If I went with a 19" screen, which would be the better choice?

Viewsonic VX922 or VP930B
 
Back
Top