Grayscale except for one color

matpoh

Weaksauce
I am trying to take an existing image that is in full color and make the entire image into grayscale except leave one color untouched.

We have some sports team pictures that the kids are wearing blue uniforms and I would like the blue to remain but convert the rest of the picture.

Any easy ways to do this in Photoshop?

I'm not sure if this will work the way you want it to, but you can try this:

Image -> Adjustments -> Hue/Saturation

Under the pull down that should default to "Master" you can select Reds, Yellows, Greens, Cyans, Blues, and Magentas. If you can drop the saturation to -100 for the Reds, Yellows, Greens, and Magentas, it may work.

If not you can just select everything but the uniforms on the image and just drop the saturation of the selected part.

I can do it, but it's very hard (for me) to put into words.

It involves masking and erasing the colored layer and some other stuff.

Google up some tutorials; that's what I did when I was learning.

Hi, how about using a selection tool to keep the blue you require then > select > inverse > and modify until you're pleased with the result without disturbing the blue? :)

Finally got around to messing with this. I tried the hue/sat trick and it worked like a charm. Im sure the others work as well, first way just sounded easier. Thanks for the help

Use the Magic Wand tool (or the Lasso Tool, which would take longer) to select the uniforms and cut and paste them to a new layer. The image should still look the same as before, but the blue parts will be "above" the rest. Then, select the bottom layer and press Shift-Ctrl-U (or go to Enhance > Adjust Color > Remove Color. This should make your bottom layer grayscale and keep your uniforms blue. No need to use masking or anything for something like this

look for an app call Fluidmask, makes it so much easier and faster to do then manually step by step, making layers, cutting out, pasting et cetera.

Damn. I didn't know there were easier ways to do it.
This is a photo ( many more I have done just like this) that take me about 7 minutes each.

jazFH4myspace.jpg

They're all in 1200x1600 though

EDIT: They even have digital cameras under $200 now that let select what you want grey/ and what colors you want to be shown in the photo.
No need to even have photoshop unless you want to get more involved into editing/manipulating the photos like many of us do.
Just a heads up.

Back