Gray Matter of Reason [ongoing]

reasons

Limp Gawd
Before we begin:
The pictures won't be of amazing quality (camera phone of a college student)
There will be huge messes in the background (midterms > cleaning)

With the new 5800 series from ATI out I figured if I could snag one I would do a new build. The existence of this thread means I got one, should be here in about one week. I take that to mean two weeks with how supply is at the moment.

This is my third water cooled rig, easily costing the most thanks to saving up for some time. First wasn't all that good, second I mostly just went to town on the case, this time I wanted more of an elegant feel. Parts below.

Hardware:
Evga P55 LE
Core i5 750
4GB Muskin Blackline
EVGA 5850
600W Mod-Xtreme OCZ PSU
Asus Xonar STX
Danger Den Torture Rack
MDPC-X sleeving

Water:
EK-Supreme LT Nickel
EK FC-5850 Radeon HD 5850 Nickel
Danger Den Rad Res
Black Ice 240 (Had it laying around)
Swiftech 240
Primoflex 7/16 tubing

Not the most extreme build, but for a college build and what I use it for, it's more than I'll need. I've noticed a lot of people going with the corsair hx1000, not sure why because it's overkill. I've always loved OCZs PSU line and I feel it will be great here.

Some shots of what is done. I would have started sleeving the PSU but when I placed my order I accidently put two sets of SATA heatshrink, and no small. Some will come next week when all water parts arrive (Tuesday?). :rolleyes:

Until then, I did the SATA cables seeing as I had plenty of shrink for it. I was only going to have black/gray but nils threw in some red as a gift and I just had to use it. It'll be the OS drive for an accent and thus easier to find out of the 4 or so this will have.

Also did a quick boot into BIOS today with an old 9600gt. Looks like I have a good chip, got it up to 3.8Ghz no problem on the stock cooler (obviously no load, but it looks promising).

i feel your pain... i am modding a case right now and also in collage.....

Small update here.
The 5850 should be shipping on the 6th, probably arriving around the 11th.
All blocks and torture rack should arrive the 9th.
Heatshrink either the 7th or 9th.

Until then, I can just have fun with the stock cooler:)down:) with a scythe dfs123812L-2000 on top of it. I only let it go through one pass (crying all the way might I add). Temps came down quick enough and weren't over 85C for more than 15 seconds. Haven't played the the vcore too much yet.

Last edited:
That seems like a very unsafe temp to be running that CPU. you are so close to Tmax that you may be doing damage to that CPU already.

It doesn't seem like it, it is. Was just a quick run, I won't really give it any real OC until all parts are in.

damn man...... I have not touched a i7 or a i5 but hell man..... 65+ *C is usually hot....

freak man......... running that in my room would replace my space heater.

whast is a good temp range for these CPUS.... are we looking at the same 55*C-65*C as C2Ds and X2 CPUS?

damn man...... I have not touched a i7 or a i5 but hell man..... 65+ *C is usually hot....

freak man......... running that in my room would replace my space heater.

whast is a good temp range for these CPUS.... are we looking at the same 55*C-65*C as C2Ds and X2 CPUS?
I believe the max temp is supposed to be 68 or 72, I forget which. The temps I put are not unusually hot for what it was doing on a stock cooler. All my orders got delayed and I wanted to see what it could do with a POS cooler.

I think the most my CPU has got to on air cooling was 43, I know CPU's need a little burn in time but that's taking the term a little too far?

Real updates today for a change.

A package came today and even though I knew it would I was still surprised when it did. I've never had the UPS man show up at 730PM but I forgave him for being late, he brought toys. :D

Only thing I'm lacking is my 5850. It was supposed to ship on the 6th but the status didn't change. I'm starting to get pretty annoyed about the whole situation. The only comfort I have is that the prices have gone up since then.

Also waiting on heatshrink but that should arrive tomorrow and I have a nice gap from 1PM tomorrow until 6PM Wednesday when I have no work or school. I plan to get the whole PSU done, we'll see how that works out.

Waited all day for this box.

Parts pic, I don't think I mentioned the tubing color. Now you know. It's also super blurry, didn't look that bad on the small phone screen. :shrug:

The two prettiest things in the box.

Third.

Loop planning and OH GOD THE MESS*.

*There are over 75 screws somewhere around my apartment along with screwdrivers, allan wrenches, fans, tubing, etc. If I don't cut my foot on something tomorrow morning when I wake up it'll be a miracle. :p:

Last edited:
nice work man!
Thanks.

Haven't check them mail yet, but when and started the loop. If it's white tubing, it stays, everything else will get moved around when the gpu is added. Also threw in a screenshot, temps are in the bottom right for those not acquainted with linux. I'll throw in some prime numbers soon. Ambient is 20C.

I'm not sure why the pictures are blurry this time, I wasn't even holding the camera, I think my phone is just pathetic like that. The light was there to check for leaks, forgot to turn it off.

EDIT - Only did two loops, I had zombies to kill. :D

Last edited:
A package arrived yesterday night in the form of heatshrink and a long night. I've tackled everything except for the 24pin and 8 pin. I didn't save them for last because I dreaded them, that was the SATA cable, they're just going to take the longest and I need my computer up and running.

Out of all the PSUs I've sleeved, this one easily fought back the most and had the most bent pins.

There is nowhere to hide the cables but I mean, who would want to. :D

Maybe you should have kept all of the cables gray to fit the theme ;) Instant gray matter :D

Finished sleeving today. I really wish I had gone out and got a heat gun and not the horrible lighter I had. My thumb looks like it has a caliced over blister, I'm not too sure. Worth it though. I still have to go back and redo a cable or two that escaped it's shrink.

You can see the little bugger here.

Did a decent clean up of the cables, still not fully happy with it.

I think I'm most happy with the 8pin.

This is looking like it will be the last picture update. I might show some clocks when I get around to it.

The card came today while I was at work but was lucky enough to have a friend nearby who took it in for me. His "price" was watching the draining, card fitting, etc. so I sadly don't have any pictures of that (and I know how much you all love your naked GPUs) ;). Instead, let what I do have suffice.

And some quick load temps before I get to Dragon Age.

Back