Gray bars...

Psycrow

Gawd
I just got my replacement monitor pg27uq today and then i nocticed these gray bars.
But i dont remember they where so visible on the other monitor i replaced..
Since i noticed em. I see em mostly on a white bagground like google..they are not visible in games.

You can see em best from the sides or if you sit a arm lenght away from the monitor

I use HDR 4k res bpc 10 . 98 hz
And it dosent matter what hz or res i use or turn of HDR or anything.
They ar ejust there still.

Is this normaly or is this monitor also a piece if garbage that was repaired in a hurry and shipped out fast ?¿

Can anyone with the same pg27uq monitor tell me if this is normal before i loose my mind over this RMA ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebfo50s5pwdw67l/20190830_122004.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ax2rjshh7ozjpw/20190830_121746.jpg?dl=0

There are some kind of shadow gray bars..they are clearly
try and put a red circle around the most obvious spots and it could help.
edit wait a second....i might can barley see it now. Im not sure looking at a chrome browser windows in the best way to test a display? Cause it could be just an odd thing with chrome

They are also there in paint with white baground..do anyone with the same monitor have the same issue or is this normal ?

Last edited:
It's really subtle from the photos, but it looks like backlight pattern. You're seeing the effect of the backlight fade due to the distance between the LEDs. This is because less light makes it through at offset angles. It's the same principle when looking at the entire screen off center. Here, it makes it look like vertical-style shadows in between the LED columns.

I bet they were there before but maybe you didn't notice them as much? Are you at default brightness? Have you tried lowering the brightness?

The effect here is so subtle, that's probably why those who have posted don't see it right away.

Maybe someone with the same panel can comment, but this seems normal to me. It's also possible your replacement was manufactured with some variance. The quality of the panel sometimes depends on the quality of materials, where it was made, etc.

Edit: Also the diffuser (replaced as well?) could be defective. That's supposed to be the the role of the diffuser.

Last edited:
Its just wierd to look at and i realy dont remember if there was this much on the other monitor i sent to RMA. It has other problems with the HDR.
I tryed to lower the brightness but they are still visible..so yes i hope people with same monitor can help me out

Adjust brightness to max and min and see what effect it has. I agree with back light pattern but if it is worse at min or max it may be reason for another replacement.

This is the reason I stopped purposely looking for defects when I get a new (or used) monitor. For example, if there's a dead or stuck pixel somewhere that I don't notice right away, I really don't want to know about it. Because once I find the defect, I'll obsess over it.

It dosent matter if i turn brightness up or down..i can still see these faint gray bars appear on white baggrounds..its annoying..The more i look for em the more clear they appear

It dosent matter if i turn brightness up or down..i can still see these faint gray bars appear on white baggrounds..its annoying..The more i look for em the more clear they appear
No idea if your issue is with the individual monitor or the model, but I've seen that before and it is just a characteristic of the panel/backlight design.

Jpeg compression artifacts are going to make it even harder to detect on our end. You should consider uploading images in png format instead.

I agree that it's probably the backlight array. What happens when you turn the variable backlight off? Do you have HDR turned on in the Windows setting despite my advice otherwise in our previous private conversations?

There is no difference in HDR on or off either an di tryed to disable the backlight and other features, but its the same. And yes it is because of the lights array but this time i just find it more clear or visible than the other monitors,
but im unsure cuz i dident notice it on the old monitor, so i guess thats why im asking now if this is normal or did i get another faulty monitor ?

Its basicly only visible on white baggrounds tho

We understand what you are seeing and that there is a history there you are uneasy about. But without seeing what your old panel looked like with a white screen, we can't really say it's defective or even worse. So then we have to take your word on it.

Even my picky spider senses tell me that this may be normal. But all I have to go on are some lousy screenshots :p

You could rma this one and end up with the same issue and maybe even something else to nitpick. It'll ultimately be up to you to decide if you can live with it.

It's only ever going to be a problem on a solid white screen.

Something, something, panel lottery is a thing.

This is the reason I stopped purposely looking for defects when I get a new (or used) monitor. For example, if there's a dead or stuck pixel somewhere that I don't notice right away, I really don't want to know about it. Because once I find the defect, I'll obsess over it.

I agree I used to exchange monitors and cell phones over dead pixels but now I've really just stopped caring as its more hassle than it's worth, and eventually it's going to be replaced anyway.

So to be clear we're talking about what appears to be evenly spaced, subtle, shadowy vertical columns right? A quick check with a white background on my 3 monitors (all different makes/models...) I don't see this any of them but they're all cheap monitors. A Samsung 24", Acer 32", Acer 24". Any chance your local computer store has one setup in their demo section you can compare against? I have some nicer monitors on my other computers I could check out but they don't have the 'ASUS Eye Care Technology to reduce eyestrain via blue light filter and flicker-free backlighting' so it's probably not really comparable.

Been there done that and yes its the panel..man i had 2 screens from asus now both broken...

I think it's the diffuser at fault here. Its job is to spread the light out evenly across the panel. Clearly it's doing a poor job of that.

Fun fact: Chrome, thus google search engine, has a dark mode.

Last edited:
ok i can see it on mine now that i know what to look for.....idk cause it never bothered me before. My vote its just normal display as it looks on mine cause i never stare at white screens anyway! lol I think you be foolish to rma again for this. IMO

What is a disfusser ?

and prime what monitor do you have ?
Disfusser… now that is what I need for an assistant....Someone to take away all the fussy people!!!

It is a diffuser. It splits the light up so it even and not spotlighting into your eyes. I think.

What is a disfusser ?

and prime what monitor do you have ?
Acer S275HL

it is a little different than yours has but its impossible to get a solid white screen perfect (or black for that matter)

I use all dark type back grounds ever since pcs came about. always have always will. If i bought a brand new display tomorrow i wouldnt even test it for those bands that way. (cause ill never use it that way)

Last edited:
What is a disfusser ?

Here's a teardown of an LED backlit TV, but LED backlit monitors are pretty much built the same way:

Around 5:40 he shows the diffuser layer being removed. The diffuser sits between the LCD screen and the LED backlight array. The diffuser's job is to scatter the light so you don't have a spotlight effect such as only lighting the area directly above the LED when it is on. Because there are only so few LED lights spaced inches apart, without the diffuser, the picture would look awful. It would effectively look like a Lite Brite.

In your case, the LEDs are spread too far apart such that the diffuser chosen can't exactly keep the light uniform across the panel. That 's why you see a vertical column of shadows (not really shadows per se, but just less light than the surrounding area). My guess is that these shadows sit right between each column of LED backlights.

If they had designed the panel with more LEDs or even brighter LEDs (which would require more diffusion), then you might not notice the issue as much.

Last edited:
Here's a teardown of an LED backlit TV, but LED backlit monitors are pretty much built the same way:

Around 5:40 he shows the diffuser layer being removed. The diffuser sits between the LCD screen and the LED backlight array. The diffuser's job is to scatter the light so you don't have a spotlight effect such as only lighting the area directly above the LED when it is on. Because there are only so few LED lights spaced inches apart, without the diffuser, the picture would look awful. It would effectively look like a Lite Brite.

In your case, the LEDs are spread too far apart such that the diffuser chosen can't exactly keep the light uniform across the panel. That 's why you see a vertical column of shadows (not really shadows per se, but just less light than the surrounding area). My guess is that these shadows sit right between each column of LED backlights.

If they had designed the panel with more LEDs or even brighter LEDs (which would require more diffusion), then you might not notice the issue as much.

Thx for your info..but as Murzilka says..Its a RMA again

I would just return that monitor and avoid using that model.

Problem is im stuck with this monitor..no one wanna pay me back for it now..as there is a sale rule. The seller has one chance to better the product as long the error is not the same each time...
And i had 3 differents errors...

The first monitor would not save my HZ settings after a reboot.
The second monitor had problems with the mouse pointer changing colours using HDR. It turned transparrent/white when it was gona turn black.
The 3rd monitor ( this one ) has gray banding bars...

Am i the one that is crazy here..i just want what i paid for.
Well Murzilke you said it..back to asus´s "screw up factory".

I wonder what they will send me next...

Problem is im stuck with this monitor..no one wanna pay me back for it now..as there is a sale rule. The seller has one chance to better the product as long the error is not the same each time...
And i had 3 differents errors...

The first monitor would not save my HZ settings after a reboot.
The second monitor had problems with the mouse pointer changing colours using HDR. It turned transparrent/white when it was gona turn black.
The 3rd monitor ( this one ) has gray banding bars...

Am i the one that is crazy here..i just want what i paid for.
Well Murzilke you said it..back to asus´s "screw up factory".

I wonder what they will send me next...
it never occurred how much you paid for this display? Now i kinda see why your wanting perfection....But you get what they deem refurbished apparently. I bought a new rma display years aga and i was not perfect either

it never occurred how much you paid for this display? Now i kinda see why your wanting perfection....But you get what they deem refurbished apparently. I bought a new rma display years aga and i was not perfect either

Yes expensive..and even more here in Denmark 2200 eu ish
Its amazing they keep giving me non perfect monitors

ALso called Uneven backlight
better describes what i see on mine on a pure white screen. I have to find that app i used years ago to make switching thru the full color screens including full white real easy.

Back