• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Graphics card keeps dying during 3d use

Smitty2k1

Gawd
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
651
Hey everyone, I moved my system into a new case and reinstalled Windows earlier this week. Ever since then, any sort of graphic intensive activity like full screen visualizations (Specifically Electric Sheep), movies, 3d benchmarks, etc., cause my dual 22" displays to go black and give the "No input signal" message. If I'm playing audio, the audio continues for about 1 minute. The computer doesn't really crash per se, the fans keep whirring like nothing happened. Just listening to the computer I wouldn't be able to tell a difference (except for the audio stopping). When I restart I get the typical "Windows was not properly shut down" menu.

Here is my hardware setup:
Windows 7 x64
AMD Athalon64 x2 4400+ (2.2GHz dual core, no OC)
DFI Lan Party nForce 4 SLI-DR
4x1 GB DDR-400 RAM (Runs at DDR-333 speeds)
Sapphire ATI 4670 Graphics Card (Passive cooler, no OC)
2 22" Acer widescreen displays
Enermax 600W PSU
5x SATA HDDs
1x SATA DVD burner

Drivers:
Catalyst 9.11 and 9.10
nForce 15.23
Realtek AC97 audio driver

Using the testing program "Burn In Test" tells me a few things:
1) It's not the CPU, the CPU tests all pass
2) It's not the RAM
3) The 3D Graphics test almost instantly fails (However it does not cause a crash)
4) The Graphics RAM test passes after I went from Catalyst 9.11 to 9.10
5) Turning all the fans on max doesn't help the situation (In other words, I don't think it's an overheating issue)

So I figure it must be the video card since I can stress test everything else and it is fine but a simple video playing back will cause this crash. As the cooler is passive, and I moved into a case with more fans and better cooling, and speedfan doesn't tell me that anything is overheating, I don't think it's an overheating issue.

I switched to Catalyst 9.10 to see if that resolved anything, and it didn't seem to.

I'm trying to avoid a reinstall of Windows and certainly avoid buying a new graphics card.

Any help would be much appreciated!
 
Last edited:
I have been having a similar problem, contacted AMD because I think my card is failing. Are you booting into safe mode and using driver sweeper or driver cleaner to uninstall your ati drivers, then rebooting and installing them? If you did, you may have mistakenly uninstalled your chipset drivers, even if you didn't, download the latest chipset drivers and get those updated, if that doesn't work, you can flash your bios, as a few people have suggested I do, including AMD. Neither of these work for me, but it definately sounds like a video card issue, and if your going to RMA it, you might as well try the same things they have having me try to save yourself time in the future.
 
Back
Top