• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Graphics card for $225-250

Bleedblue12345

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 1, 2004
Messages
1,942
I have 225-250 and need a new SINGLE SLOT graphics card, i was thinknig of a 7900gt or x1950pro, what do you guys think?
 
I'd say go for the 1950pro.. 80nm, so it consumes less power..

but they're both good cards
 
The 7950GT is currently the fastest single-slot card. The X1950Pro is slower, but it has ATI's better image quality features. I'd probably go for the X1950Pro.
shoman24v said:
I'd get the X1900XT 256MB. About 280 shipped.
This card is a dual-slot card.
 
The Asus version of the x1950 Pro had a dual slot cooler. The Sapphire is the way to go, ZZF has it for $199 with free shipping.
 
How soon do you need the card? If you can, wait until the Direct X 10 cards come out next month. If anything they'll bring down the prices on DX9 cards if you still prefer one.
 
I'm going through the same decision now. I read a review at Tech Report, and the 7950 GT spanked the 1950 Pro in every benchmark. A lot of them weren't even close. Nothing I've read so far gives me any reason to get the 1950 Pro, other than cost. Sure, if it's $100 cheaper I'd get it, but I don't believe there's that much of a difference, and I do want to think about how $80 more right now will effect me in 2 years (the next time I'll upgrade).
 
peteyboy23 said:
I'm going through the same decision now. I read a review at Tech Report, and the 7950 GT spanked the 1950 Pro in every benchmark. A lot of them weren't even close. Nothing I've read so far gives me any reason to get the 1950 Pro, other than cost. Sure, if it's $100 cheaper I'd get it, but I don't believe there's that much of a difference, and I do want to think about how $80 more right now will effect me in 2 years (the next time I'll upgrade).

Sure it beats the 1950pro by10-15fps but it's $80-100 more...
 
save the 80 bucks now, in a year or 2, buy the 2nd 1950 with that 80 for crossfire...
 
for 1 i dont think dx 10 cards will be single slot ( i hope they are but i doubt it), and 2, i might just save up anf buy a new case/sli or crossfire mobo
 
Forget both those cards. Get a 7900GTO. Its basically a 7900GTX for $245 (last I checked on newegg).


-Brandon
 
coolxboxgamer said:
for 1 i dont think dx 10 cards will be single slot ( i hope they are but i doubt it), and 2, i might just save up anf buy a new case/sli or crossfire mobo


You dont think dx10 cards are going to be single slot? Are you on drugs? When did you come up with this thought?

The g80's are single slot and DX10.


-Brandon
 
Dont get the GTO, it's memory fails as much as the Lions fail to win football games. I would also say to not get the X1950Pro because it's slower than a comparitively priced 7900GT(XFX version after rebates).

In this situation I would, get the 7900GT and be done.
 
Where have you heard the GTO's memory fails? I have heard nothing but amazing things about the GTO.


-Brandon
 
This is how i know: Mine failed, and so has several other users.

Yeah sure the card is great for like the first two weeks, until you slowly start to notice artifacting and then eventually it cant render certain things properly.

the Samsung ram on the 7900s is 100% faulty. Thats why they first began with Infeneon, then switched to samsung and then switched back to Infeneon because all the samsungs failed.
 
Endurancevm said:
This is how i know: Mine failed, and so has several other users..


So it wasnt a large issue. Just a few failed. No matter what its still the best video card for under $250.

And you may, given the slight (or so it seems) chance of your video card having this memory error, return the card for a brand new one..



-Brandon
 
inscape01 said:
How soon do you need the card? If you can, wait until the Direct X 10 cards come out next month. If anything they'll bring down the prices on DX9 cards if you still prefer one.
Except one of his criteria is "single slot". Every indication I've seen is that the DX10 cards coming out in 2 weeks (GeForce 8800GTX and 8800GTS) are *very much* dual-slot. Power consuming, hot running, monsters. Powerful - VERY powerful - but demanding.

Surely, someday (soon - no later than January, I'd hope), they'll definitely be single-slot versions.

But not the ones launched this year.

peteyboy23 said:
I'm going through the same decision now. I read a review at Tech Report, and the 7950 GT spanked the 1950 Pro in every benchmark. A lot of them weren't even close. Nothing I've read so far gives me any reason to get the 1950 Pro, other than cost. Sure, if it's $100 cheaper I'd get it, but I don't believe there's that much of a difference, and I do want to think about how $80 more right now will effect me in 2 years (the next time I'll upgrade).

I'm in the same debate.

In favor of the X1950 Pro - easily better FSAA (6x multisample vs max of 4x multisample on the GeForce), FAR better aniso filtering (true angle-independent), and AVIVO engine that substantially improves DVD playback quality. Oh, and it can use HDR at the same time as FSAA in several titles, while the 7950GT cannot. And it's quite a bit cheaper.

In favor of the 7950GT...well...it's faster. Also, on some 'legacy' games (Tribes 2 and Pacific Fighters), it works better or offers more advanced features. Oh, consumes less power (slightly) under load.

Honestly, for me...it's a tough call. Tribes 2 nostalgia is calling me at the moment...so....perhaps, nVidia....hmmm.....
 
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354
Shows the 7900gt consuming less power at 48w compared to 65w for the 1950. Not sure about a Vmodded unit though with the 7900GTX at 84w.

My suggestion...

Buy the 7900gt...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...17+1067920129&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&SubCategory=48

Then buy a vf900...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118001

Then use tape and conductive ink to vmod...
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=216265

I am using coolbits to easily run 700/1600mhz with low 50c temp during 3dMarks without Ramsinks. 3dMark06 score of 6165, and 10865 in 05 with 1.5v core and stock memory voltage. I have ran 730/1600 stable also, but only gained 135=06/195=05 points so I really didn't feel the need. Coolbits won't allow any higher options than 1600 for the memory, so I am really curious.

Just my $.02 though,
Rob
 
Oh yeah! Seams that I missed that little point. Forget almost everything I said. I'm glad someone was paying attention...lol
Rob
 
Just wait a few days until the 8800GTX is released, and then all the prices will be pushed down.
 
Bo_Fox said:
Just wait a few days until the 8800GTX is released, and then all the prices will be pushed down.


Yea, thats a really good idea. Bo_Fox is full of good ideas. The prices should drop pretty significantly over the next few months because of the new cards.. So if you can, wait! :D You might even be able to get something really high end for your price range.. like.. 7900GTX or something.
 
If you can wait a year and all the new shit will be even cheaper than before. :p
This is the path I will follow as everythings running fine as is right now.
 
GreyMatterTripp said:
If you can wait a year and all the new shit will be even cheaper than before. :p

when is that not the case? and by that time there will be newer and better shit anyways buy what you need when you need it no sense in waiting for the next better thing just around the corner because it will never come.
 
Astrogiblet said:
Yea, thats a really good idea. Bo_Fox is full of good ideas. The prices should drop pretty significantly over the next few months because of the new cards.. So if you can, wait! :D You might even be able to get something really high end for your price range.. like.. 7900GTX or something.

Awww... gee, thanks! You're melting my heart! :p By the way, the date is Nov. 7 I think.
 
tisb0b said:
when is that not the case? and by that time there will be newer and better shit anyways buy what you need when you need it no sense in waiting for the next better thing just around the corner because it will never come.

Thats why I said everythings fine right now...thats why I bought the X1900XTX because I need it NOW!!! I can't wait for the new technology, I'll just buy that too, when it becomes somewhat affordable, its not like I don't have the money its really a matter of principle and the fact that everyone would like to save some money.
 
Well, somebody has to mention that $225-$250 is a very tricky price point.

If it were $300, it would be very easy to decide, with only 2 good choices.

At $225-250, the best choice would be:

1) 7900GTO, if you can find one!

2) 7900GT 512MB version, if you can find one!

3) 7950GT, if you can find one that cheap.

4) X1900XT 256MB version if 512MB isn't that important for ya...

5) A very good 7900GT 256MB version.
 
Bo_Fox said:
Well, somebody has to mention that $225-$250 is a very tricky price point.

If it were $300, it would be very easy to decide, with only 2 choices.

At $225-250, the best choice would be:

1) 7900GTO, if you can find one!

2) 7900GT 512MB version, if you can find one!

3) 7950GT, if you can find one that cheap.

4) X1900XT 256MB version if 512MB isn't that important for ya...

5) A very good 7900GT 256MB version.

good list, but i think your #4 is my #2. althought keep in mind the x1900 is hot and loud (althought the gt's are loud too, no?)
 
7950GT 512MB is going to be $275 cheapest, so over his budget. The 7900GT 512MB should be available in his price range, assuming they are still out there. Yes, they are louder fan speed controll isn't as good. But they are still a heck of a lot cooler than the X1900.

...
Well, a quick search shows that the 7900GT 512 cards are pretty much gone. The good news is that the 256MB cards are cheaper than dirt. Around $200 after rebates. That's a good deal from any angle.
 
i_am_mustang_man said:
good list, but i think your #4 is my #2. althought keep in mind the x1900 is hot and loud (althought the gt's are loud too, no?)

Then, 512MB isn't important for ya, obviously! :cool:
 
Advil said:
7950GT 512MB is going to be $275 cheapest, so over his budget. The 7900GT 512MB should be available in his price range, assuming they are still out there. Yes, they are louder fan speed controll isn't as good. But they are still a heck of a lot cooler than the X1900.

What does 'hot' vs 'cold' matter? If the X1900GT is capable of running twice as hot as the 7950GT, but only averages 50% hotter....does it matter? Now, noise and *power draw*, though, are issues worth considering.

Anyway, fan volume definitely IS different. I've recently been swapping cards around trying to decide, and have tried the following:
  • MSI 7900GT (best performance, easily - NOISY fan, and no fan control, though)
  • ATI X1900GT (best texture and FSAA quality, easily - very noticably slower than 7900GT, though. Much quieter. It sucks a huge amount of power, which is a problem for SFFs.)
  • eVGA 7600GT (awesome price:performance ratio - only $89 AR at Fry's right now for 2/3 of the 7900GT's performance. Still, no fan control = NOISY.)
  • MSI X1800GTO (weakest performance of the bunch, but still a solid offering. 1024x768 with HDR and FSAA in 'Oblivion' is still a possibility. Not an awful fan, power draw isn't hideous.)

So, with just that set over the past few weeks (2 ATI cards, 2 nVidia cards), I would draw the following conclusions:
* Performance per watt (power demand), nVidia cards DOMINATE ATI cards.
* nVidia cards of a given performance also seem to be a whole hell of a lot cheaper - especially B&M retail, where ATI prices at a given performance point are about twice what they should be. (IE., at Fry's, I saw a 7900GS for $249 next to a Radeon X1600 Pro for $249...clearly, these are not in the same league *at all*)
* nVidia cards are quite a bit noisier than ATI cards...at least of the represented brands and models. Annoyingly so, in fact.
* ATI cards sure have some cool features (AVIVO, angle-independent Aniso, 6x MSAA, HDR+AA, etc)

That's all picking and choosing between single-slot options, as my SFF can only take a single-slot card. I think I'm ultimately going to use the 7600GT as the price:performance is pure unbeatable. For $89, 4k in 3dMark06 is hard to argue with...given that the same system gets only 6K in 3dMark06 with the $220+ GeForce 7900GT.
 
dderidex said:
[*]MSI X1800GTO (weakest performance of the bunch, but still a solid offering. 1024x768 with HDR and FSAA in 'Oblivion' is still a possibility. Not an awful fan, power draw isn't hideous.)[/list]

So, with just that set over the past few weeks (2 ATI cards, 2 nVidia cards), I would draw the following conclusions:
* Performance per watt (power demand), nVidia cards DOMINATE ATI cards.

Nice post, ddreidex!!! I'm totally with you about the $89 cheap issue!

One thing, though.. is that it's far better to play with higher resolutions instead of playing with FSAA on. For one thing, a higher resolution also makes the textures look far smoother, sharper, and crisper along with the edges (thus making AA less necessary). FSAA can be important for *some* games, (especially in high-contrast games like Far Cry, etc.., not so necessary for Doom 3 and low-contrast games) but higher resolutions are always better as long as the performance hit is not as bad as enabling FSAA.
 
damn $89 for a 7600gt? I have a 15" LCD 1024 x 768 monitor thru vga. Would I be able to play most games on max settings on that? I'm building a new conroe rig right now, gonna take me 2 months or so to complete it. I was thinking about the x1950pro before because the capability of upgrading with an extra card later on.
 
dderidex said:
[*]eVGA 7600GT (awesome price:performance ratio - only $89 AR at Fry's right now for 2/3 of the 7900GT's performance. Still, no fan control = NOISY.)

do you have a link for this?
 
Back
Top