Graphics Artist / Gaming monitor?

SleepyDay

n00b
I am going to school for 3d animation and digital in fall I am thinking of upgrading to dual 22' LCD.

What should i look for in a monitor that focus on details for graphics and also for gaming?

I was thinking one of the Gaming LCDs from tigerdirect will focus on 3d graphics and detailing.. I could be wrong, any suggestions on a good monitor?

ps;

Does the monitor or video card decide on the screen resolution?
i'm getting
Video Card
Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 1792MB

Monitor
22" Widescreen
1680x1050 Resolution

most 22' in says 1680x1050..but my aunt has a 22' and she go up to 1920 x 1200

could i get 1900x1200 also with my video card and 22 in?

I am going to school for 3d animation and digital in fall I am thinking of upgrading to dual 22' LCD.

What should i look for in a monitor that focus on details for graphics and also for gaming?

I was thinking one of the Gaming LCDs from tigerdirect will focus on 3d graphics and detailing.. I could be wrong, any suggestions on a good monitor?

ps;

Does the monitor or video card decide on the screen resolution?
i'm getting
Video Card
Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 1792MB

Monitor
22" Widescreen
1680x1050 Resolution

most 22' in says 1680x1050..but my aunt has a 22' and she go up to 1920 x 1200

could i get 1900x1200 also with my video card and 22 in?

lol, I learned 3d and hate it. The job of 3d modeler/rigger/animator/texture guy got rated like #3 on top 10 worst occupations in the world on some game site. It even beat out gamestop employee. Unless you're one of those really artsy people that likes to draw every day for your own amusement, then don't go near 3d. You have to stay at the top of your game and practice and learn new stuff every day, it's like being a medical doctor but instead of being assured a job making big money, you're fighting for 40k jobs with tons of other people sending out demo reels.

You can probably be a garbage man in a major city like NY or Chicago and make more money than a 3d guy and do less work at the same time. It's only for people that really love to do it. After I spent 2 years actually getting good at it, I really couldn't stand doing it anymore. If you're a programmer, you program something and it works. If you're an entertainment 3d guy, the job is basically never done, it could always be better. If I could do it over again, I would have learned strictly CAD instead. The entertainment industry is awful. Making real world goods is where it's at, not mindless entertainment virtual goods that will just got put in an awful EA sports game or something. I really can't think of a worse thing to go into right now, especially with the economy.

Anyways, buy a Dell 2209wa, HP 2475, Samsung 305T ($999), or Dell 3007wfp-HC, those are the only good monitors right now. If you're doing 3d, you want the biggest monitor you can get, either 24 or 30"

thanks for your reply.what stats did you look for when looking up those monitors ?

my Bidget is $420

For $420 you can't get much, only option is Dell 2209WA IPS monitor. If you want bigger, $600 for HP2475.

The monitor determines the resolution. The only 22" 1920x1200 resolution monitor I know is the Lenovo L220X, though I think Eizo might have one as well?

For 3D work I'd go for as big as you can get. For texturing you might want something that has accurate colors (in other words a more expensive, PVA or IPS panel monitor) but I don't think it's as important as it is for print graphics.

I am no god of 3d but can make pretty much any hard surface object with ease. I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 24inch for doing 3d. I'd probably even get a 30inch Samsung 305T for $999.

24w8sgo.jpg

mb6ftg.jpg

1zx6z2a.jpg

2z6dmza.jpg

dczeh2.jpg

Wow, that stuff looks really nice, I don't know what you're talking about, lol.

I'd echo the sentiment for a larger screen though, the largest your budget can accomodate.
I remember learning 3dstudio and autocad in school on those crappy 12" Dell CRTs.. Terrible. Had to keep scrolling or zoom out just to see where I'm at. Don't haev any specific recommendations though, since I haven't used any and am looking for one myself (albeit for a different purpose.)

lol, I learned 3d and hate it. The job of 3d modeler/rigger/animator/texture guy got rated like #3 on top 10 worst occupations in the world on some game site. It even beat out gamestop employee.

You can probably be a garbage man in a major city like NY or Chicago and make more money than a 3d guy and do less work at the same time.

LOL !!!

Awesome words of inspiration.

For $420 you can't get much, only option is Dell 2209WA IPS monitor. If you want bigger, $600 for HP2475.

There is a known issue with the HP2475, it seems a few people are reporting a greenish/pinkish diagonal line on the screen. However, it appears that the majority of owners are happy with this monitor.

Just try to avoid buying a monitor built around a TN panel if you can (for better color accuracy). If you are a poor college student then buying a TN panel monitor is better than having no monitor at all.

Well, some rumors are that the pink/green hue effect is "fixed" in the latest revision, or it could also be a quality control issue from LG.philips who supplies the panels. Unless color is critical on the 3d models, I don't think (imo) an IPS is required. A TN or *VA has its flaws, but it wouldn't make the 3d shapes look any different; the colors/gamma would just look awkward until you sat down again.

lol, I learned 3d and hate it. *blah blah*

If you're a programmer, you program something and it works. If you're an entertainment 3d guy, the job is basically never done, it could always be better. If I could do it over again, I would have learned strictly CAD instead. The entertainment industry is awful. *blah blah*

a programmer has to fix bugs, over and over again. it doesn't just 'work' most of the time. i worked at a gamescompany, and each position has it flaws. level and gamedesigners also have to test and tweak alot, playing your level/game for 100 times and changing small stuff each time. i think you should try modeling environment. charactermodeling is hard, its organic, and zbrush/mudbox makes it even harder. architectual modeling (for games or real) is alot easier, and fun. it is very personal where your motivation lies.
other jobs outside of the gameindustry are not perfect either. would you rather be a garbageman, pick up smelly shit in the freezing cold every morning? and when you come home, you are exhausted of the physical activity and with smelly clothes.

Back