Graphics Aperture Size

Desolate

Limp Gawd
In BIOS, what should my Graphics Aperture Size be set at for a Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR. Right now its at 64MB, should that be 128MB for my new Radeon?

always double what your vid card mem is.. so with that 128mb XT your aperature size should be set at 256mb..

Brain what about if your vid memory is 256 and the aperture size only goes up to 256??

Originally posted by BrainC0DE
always double what your vid card mem is.. so with that 128mb XT your aperature size should be set at 256mb..

Are you serious. I always thought that you just put how much ram your card had there. Could I get a big preformance boost of I change it?

yeahp aperture is only used if for some reason your video ram runs low, also note that the bandwidth from the main ram to the card is VERY limited as its running in 64bit mode as compared to most cards very short length 128/256bit interfaces. I have my aperture low just cause i don't want my system ram used for rendering.

Originally posted by Spidey329
Interesting. So with 256meg memory, we should really drop it to 32meg / 64meg. As most games won't be using up that 256meg for awhile anyways.

Wrong. Call of Duty already uses more than 128 MB, and it's based on the ancient Q3 engine.

Even the game's readme says that the extreme texture detail setting should only be used with 256 MB of video RAM. And it's true; my previous 9700 ran it choppy, but it's butter-smooth now with the 9800 XT.

Hahahahahahha, yer 9700 ran it choppy?! My old 64meg 4200 can run it with highest res and detail and 2x af and aa pretty much fine. Something must have been wrong with yer 9700.

i was always told to set it to half your system RAM (back in the days when most people had 128-256 RAM). But as a rule of thumb i have also been told to not set it higher than 128. Dunno why just what the general vote has been...JMO

*hint*

it doesn't really matter with current hardware

just leave it at 128MB and you'll be fine

Back