Graphical Sniffer

DragonNOA1

Supreme [H]ardness
I walked by an admin computer running some graphical packet sniffer that had a simple map of where packets were going and such and I didn't catch the name of it. It looked sharp tho! Does anyone know of any graphical sniffers? Ethereal is not graphical, TIA.

IT was probably Sniffer. It's made by Sniffer technologies. They are a division of Network Associates.

You can try it out to see if you like it.

Sniffer Trial

Look under Product evaluations, then the DL link is all the way at the bottom.

I've used this program at work before and it's really powerful.

umm only way to TRUELY anazlyse packets is with ethereal or a product like that. Sniffer works on this premise.

etherape could do something like this as well, but I don't really consider that to handy. Ethereal gives you the actual info so its much more usefull.

Etherpeek on windows, ethereal on bsd are graphical packet sniffers. To actually ahve a program go and map out where packets are going and map it out, well I don't know of any real software to do that off of a router, but the watchgaurd firewalls software will allow you to see all inbound and outbound connections and sniff as you like with that....perhaps that is what you saw?

v0.6.9.png

Look any thing like this? Although this is linux specific I think, I have seen windows stuff too from companies like Fluke and whatnot. Normally they are used in coop with switches that can make a port specificly used for security (dumps all network traffic meeting or not meeting specific rules to the port, so you can have a dedicated sniffer to watch for bad traffic, without being on the actual network segment)

I love ethereal, although it does take a slight learning curve to know how to use it.

Back