Grandma's Computer

I went to Fry's a few days ago and purchased all the parts to build my Grandma a new computer. The one she has is old and crappy so it's time for an upgrade. After buying it and putting everything together, I am considering returning all the parts since after seeing some of the barebone kits on TigerDirect I feel like I could get a hell of a lot more than I got a Fry's for the same amount of money or less. I don't have the exact parts from my Fry's build but it consists of an AMD Athlon 64 LE (single core 2.7 GHz processor) with 4 GB of Patriot 800 MHz RAM, a 450 Watt PS and a small CoolerMaster case with a 640 GB Hitachi HDD. I also got Norton 2010 for some reason... Oh and also got Win 7 OEM. Anyway my total was about $540.00 out the door with a $50 MIR. I feel like that is a total rip off. Now she uses a ton of OLD school programs (sewing programs etc..), so the single core processor will probably be all she needs but I think it would be a good idea to future proof this machine so it lasts her for the rest of her life. I may end up taking Win7 back due to her programs not being compatible with it. I haven't tested it yet so we will see.

So I was just browsing parts on TIgerDirect and came across this barebone kit. It comes with:
* Asus M3A78-EM Motherboard
* AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core OEM Processor (CPU Fan not included)
* (2x) Ultra 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory
* PowerUp ATX Black Mid-Tower Case w/ Clear Side, Front I/O Ports & 450-Watt PSU
I know the power supply is cheap and the RAM is probably not the greatest either but I figure it will do the job. With all of this the total is $259.99 at checkout. Now that is extremely cheap compared to the build I got at Fry's. With this build all I need is a HDD, a CPU Fan and an OS which definitely won't total $300.00. Hell I could even throw in a disc drive and still be less than the build I got at Fry's.

Anyone agree in thinking I should return everything to Fry's and go with this build instead? I can keep the HDD and Win7 from Fry's and return the rest and I feel like I could save her around $200 and get her a better/faster computer.

What do you guys think? Thanks for the advice.

I am looking to spend less than $550.

Honstely that build is nothing special. It's using the older phenom which is pretty craptastic compared to the new stuff.

I'd build off of this for a budget but still very powerful machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.273663

Faster CPU, great motherboard with great onboard graphics in case granny want's to watch movies from that new HD video camera. Think the CPU even comes with a wifi adapter for free.

120 bucks leaves plenty of room for a basic case/psu/ram/hd/optical hell even a monitor in your stated budget.

Menelmarar also speaks the truth. Add Delloutlet as a friend on facebook and it'll rain 15-20% off coupons.

he could always use the video card himself or sell it. make profit. besides what i picked out isent much different then what you linked. you linked the same mobo and processor lol

Wasn't saying it was bad kit. Obviously I couldn't say that as you pointed out. Just not what I think OP has in mind.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I want to try and avoid the whole Dell/HP computers as I know I can save myself some money building the computer myself. I also don't want Vista. She is running Windows 98 or Windows 2000 (don't remember which off the top of my head). I showed her Win7 on my machine and I explained to her even though it looks completely different it is a much better choice. I will have to help her get used to it but that is something I am prepared to do. I don't want Vista because Windows 7 is now out so that is what I really want to set her up with. If it proves that most of her programs are not compatible with it which there is a very high chance this will be the case, I may end up just keeping her on her old OS and just get her the new components so its much much faster. She doesn't have the CD for her OS but I am sure I can find a torrent of it or something if needed.

As far as this kit goes, the video card is something I was not looking to get for her. She does use some photoshop but its probably one of the first versions that came out so I don't think she will need the video card at all. She has no idea what HD means either haha so it really is just something extra. That kit is very cheap though and much better than the one I got at Fry's for cheaper.

I am an Intel processor guy so as far as AMD goes I have no clue how to tell which CPU's are the better choice. If you are saying the LE is better than the Athlon x4 then I will pick something different.

So I understand these AMD CPU's.... This Phenon x4 is not as good as this Athlon II x2?

If that is true I think I will go ahead and get this deal and return everything to Fry's and restart. I can keep the RAM, HDD, Case, and Win7 so that should work. This CPU is way better than the one I got at Fry's so this would definitely be the better choice.

Thanks for the help I am going to go ahead and return everything.

The first gen Phenom were less then exciting performance wise. The Athlon II is very similar to the Phenom II (many actually ARE phenom II cores) and is a much better choice performance wise.

I think you are making a great choice and will end up with a machine that will last for years for her needs.

A quad core for gammie? 4GB's of memory? LOL Get real.....

She will be surfin the net and checking e-mail. A PIII does that job fine geez....

A quad core for gammie? 4GB's of memory? LOL Get real.....

She will be surfin the net and checking e-mail. A PIII does that job fine geez....

You are right about the P3 but I just don't see any reason to not fork out an extra $30 and get this for $120.00 as oppsed to getting something like this & this which totals $95.00. For $25 more I get a quad core so in my mind this tells me its a no brainer....

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TS-005RS-AMDL264-2R&cat=SYS

And if you could find a HP reinstallation disc...(Vista)...

Okay this is super tempting. This is a deal but I am skepticle about it being a refurb.... Plus the website. I have been pricing some stuff out. I think I have decided on this combo or getting this mobo, and this CPU setup. Should I go with the TigerDirect deal for a Dual Core CPU for the same price as the newegg Single Core CPU or should I go with the ASRock Mobo with the Single Core AMD CPU?

Is this website legit? Can't I just format the HDD and install Win7 on it or whatever I want or does HP have some lame thing where I can only use their vista install CD?

Back