Grandma needs a new PC

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
15,461
Yeah, so Grandma decided her 133MHz Pentium/32MB RAM/13" CRT/Windows 95 just isn't cutting it anymore. She needs a whole new system. Now, she said price is no object, but she doesn't realize that computer are so expensive. I'm guessing she wants to spend $1000, maybe a little more. Now, since I don't feel like doing out-of-state-over-the-gulf-of-mexico tech support, we will be going all Intel (CPU, Chipset, Mobo). Remember, everything has to go and I don't want to do tech support once a week for this. Go.

UPDATE: How about a Dell?
 
From Newegg:

Case: Raidmax Elite ATX-208 $20.75
Antec TP-II 380 PSU $59.99
Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4-F S939 $82.00
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (1.8GHz) $130.90
RAM: 1024MB Kingston ValueRAM $73.00
Vid: GeForce 6800GS $209
HD: WD Caviar SE 250GB $100.50
DVDRW: NEC 3540A 16x $38.99
Floppy $8.99
Monitor: Sony G220R 17" CRT $119.99
Lite-On Keyboard $6.00
MS Mouse $13.00
Printer: Canon IP3000 $84
Speakers: Logitech X-230 $33.99

TOTAL: $980.00

Note this is obviously a budget gaming rig, you may want to lower the vid card and get a better monitor.
 
If you don't want to do tech support for her, I'd really push for her to get an OEM. Seriously.

Her: "Sonny, I've got a problem with my PC."

You: "Grandma, you need to call Dell. If I touch anything, it'll void your warranty."

;)
 
NKDietrich said:
From Newegg:

Case: Raidmax Elite ATX-208 $20.75
Antec TP-II 380 PSU $59.99
Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4-F S939 $82.00
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (1.8GHz) $130.90
RAM: 1024MB Kingston ValueRAM $73.00
Vid: GeForce 6800GS $209
HD: WD Caviar SE 250GB $100.50
DVDRW: NEC 3540A 16x $38.99
Floppy $8.99
Monitor: Sony G220R 17" CRT $119.99
Lite-On Keyboard $6.00
MS Mouse $13.00
Printer: Canon IP3000 $84
Speakers: Logitech X-230 $33.99

TOTAL: $980.00

Note this is obviously a budget gaming rig, you may want to lower the vid card and get a better monitor.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't full understand my original post. Seriously, what kind of a system is that for an older person?

Lethal said:
If you don't want to do tech support for her, I'd really push for her to get an OEM. Seriously.

Her: "Sonny, I've got a problem with my PC."

You: "Grandma, you need to call Dell. If I touch anything, it'll void your warranty."

;)
Yeah, I thought that also. My luck thus far .
 
sac_tagg said:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't full understand my original post. Seriously, what kind of a system is that for an older person?


Yeah, I thought that also. My luck thus far .

I had that configuration already laying around for someone else. Just was giving you an idea of what you can get for under a grand.
 
ReDgUaRd008 said:
All i have to say is Dell. :D


I agree you can probably get a computer there that will do anything your grandma wants, ie. internet and email, for under $500.
 
discochan said:
I agree you can probably get a computer there that will do anything your grandma wants, ie. internet and email, for under $500.

tell her $1000, then buy the $500 and she will pay you the $500 to go towards upgrading your comp. :D Just think of it as a commission check.

Who knows, may help pay for that 512mb 7800gtx....*drools*
 
Viper16 said:
tell her $1000, then buy the $500 and she will pay you the $500 to go towards upgrading your comp. :D Just think of it as a commission check.

Who knows, may help pay for that 512mb 7800gtx....*drools*
Or at least part of that GTX...
 
heh, she can use a computer effectively? (my grandma can't find the backspace key)
I'd say get the cheapest pc possible. Dell has a $300 entry point. That would be fine for typing and internet. Any more you spend I say put towards your own interests, whatever they are.

I would get a somewhat better video card, and just get XP home. Maybe lower the ram to 512.
 
Dell would probably be the best bet. That's what I recommended to a friend who wanted to get something for his 55 year old computer illit. boss. My second choice would be some kind of cheap sempron setup. The sempron would probably end up costing more once you got everything together than a similar performance Dell.
 
sac_tagg said:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't full understand my original post. Seriously, what kind of a system is that for an older person?

[/URL] .

A kickass old person computer if you ask me. You said a grand, that would be the best for a grand.
 
Go with Dell. Otherwise, you can be a good grandson and save your grandma some money by building her a comp consists of celeron, 512ram, 40 gig, etc etc.

Again depending on what her needs are. If she just wants it for web surf, email and etc... our model of "Best Bang for the Buck" doesnt apply.
 
Definitely Dell. She can get a pretty damn good computer with an LCD and printer for around $800.
 
I agree with Zidoas all you really need for her is just above the bare minimum if she doesn't do any thing other than e-mail, web and Office. Just get her some OEM with all the stuff (video card and sound card) all built into the motherboard.

Then once you get it just set it up to the classic Windows so she knows how to find everything really easily.

But if grandma wants to try something different you could try to give her a Mac Mini so that if she's tight on room, its small and compact. Right not it doesn't run on Intel hardware but if you just wait until probably June it will. Then you can purchase he a decent LCD monitor and new mouse and keyboard.

What's weird is that you'll probably be spending less on this computer than you did for her last one.
 
Cowcaster88 said:
But if grandma wants to try something different you could try to give her a Mac Mini so that if she's tight on room, its small and compact. Right not it doesn't run on Intel hardware but if you just wait until probably June it will. Then you can purchase he a decent LCD monitor and new mouse and keyboard.
Yeah, I'd definitely consider a Mac. It would eliminate the need to update/patch windows all the time, and you wouldn't have to worry about viruses, adware, or spyware.
You could even get an iMac for a bit more if you're a student, which would be a great all in one solution.
 
deathBOB said:
Get her a Mac.
No, no, and no. It has taken her 5 years to learn Windows 95, and even then it took me an hour today talking her through cleaning and aligning her printer heads. It's going to be hell-on-earth when I introduce Windows 95 as it is, so let's not make things worse, shall we?

Well, it seems she has changed her tune. She balked when I said $1200. Apparently "money is no object" suddenly doesn't apply. Configuration updated.
 
Why would she want XP Media Center Edition? Also, old people usually can't hear too well: is a 2.1 speaker system (with a whole bunch of cords to plug in) really necessary?

Just tryin' to save ya a buck :)

*Edit: Why not get her OpenOffice instead of MS Office to save her $150? Unless she needs those specific programs, OpenOffice + Mozilla Thunderbird = free alternative!
 
seriously, Windows XP MCE isn't needed IMO.

Also, if you browse around places like BJs, Costco, Walmart, Best Buy and Circuit City, you should be able to find an eMachine with Monitor and everything for quite cheap. It'll definitely suits your grandma's needs.
 
Be cheap on the comp and then spend a lot of money on a big lcd for her eyes. Dell has those deals for a comp and a 2405 fpw for a pretty good price.
 
Southparkrocks said:
Be cheap on the comp and then spend a lot of money on a big lcd for her eyes. Dell has those deals for a comp and a 2405 fpw for a pretty good price.

From my personal experience, old people and big monitors don't mix. They don't like their resolution anything higher than 1024 x 768 or they'd find the icons too small for their eyes.

That 2405 fpw has a native resolution of 1920x whatever.... i think that'd be overkill for her.
 
All I have to say is why in the world does she need a graphics card? ONBOARD FOR THE WIN!

Less problems that way.
 
Back
Top