Grand Theft Auto IV

Maybe GTA IV will be like Crackdown with invitable co-op. 4 person drive-by anyone?

I'm sure all features (motorcycles, planes, etc) will carry over.

I like the idea of Liberty City again but hopefully there will be more city instead of just an high definition makeover.

I think the Russian(?) mobster idea is great.

Wish there would have been a little more to the trailer though.

They showed probably 10 prominent new york city landmarks. I never played any other GTA games (yeah I know...), but is liberty city an amalgam of New York city, or is everyone in the thread missing the fact that the chrysler building, the empire state building, the statue of liberty, and other prominent new york landmarks are in the trailer?

I'm excited to see if Rockstar is making the environments more interactive.

Fighting your way to the top of the Empire State Building would be a blast, even if you are only planning to jump off once you get there. :D

I read an "interview" a long time ago when GTA: SA was being released... it was with a developer of GTA or whatever and he said for sure in the interview that "GTA: 4" will 100% sure have multiplayer.

It's not 100% authentic, but I clearly remember reading that for sure somewhere.

I bet there will be a torrent some where ;), this is where p2p/torrents succeed lol

I think its going to a bigger world with more guns and more things to do. Might be the United States for all we know lol. Its gonna be big thats for sure :)

The world looks good, I think they could have had slightly better graphics on the character models, download the video and pause it when they show ppl, there's a good amount that are a little boxy, just look at the arm. Otherwise looks pretty dam good, now the question is will the PS3 version or the 360 version run smoother or have better controls. I have a PC, PS3 and original xbox, will probably get a supreme ed 360 in the future, otherwise happy with my PS3, hopefully they also release the PC edition early. It's hard to know if the game will really look this good or if it's all computer rendered with special effects.

Rockstar has said many times that all GTAs that follow the numbers are in Liberty City.

I didn't know that. Apparently a lot of other people didn't either because the speculation about GTA IV's location was all across the board. London, Bogota, and Japan came up most frequently. I don't really mind that it's going to be in LC, I just didn't expect it. Did people honestly "know" GTA IV would be in Liberty City before the trailer ?

i wonder what the time period is?

GTA III was contemporary. I think IV will be too.

After all the fuss I read/am reading about Epic releasing UT three, since it'll technically be the 4th, I'm suprised I haven't heard trolls whining about why this isn't being named GTA6... :rolleyes:

I read an "interview" a long time ago when GTA: SA was being released... it was with a developer of GTA or whatever and he said for sure in the interview that "GTA: 4" will 100% sure have multiplayer.

It's not 100% authentic, but I clearly remember reading that for sure somewhere.

According to the GTA IV page on Xbox.com (which also has links for the video), as of last night it clearly and prominently stated "Players: 1".

Judging by that blue car in the trailer I would say the game is pretty much up to date as far as timeline goes. At least in the last 10 or 12 years.

According to the GTA IV page on Xbox.com (which also has links for the video), as of last night it clearly and prominently stated "Players: 1".

Awww soooo lame... I gotta find that interview but I doubt I can it's been so long.

Yeah.... there are mods for multiplayer... but they are piss poor and make you play stupid little driving mini-games(referring to the newest one for GTA:SA that I have played) instead of GTA with multiplayer like it should be (Vice City had fun multiplayer online, but it was a little buggy.. still fun though while it lasted).

Edit: Yeah, you're right.. I read a few quick pages and they decided not to implement it but were thinking about it... I clearly remember one of those douches saying 100% sure, though >:x

Oh well, I'm sure it will still be fun as hell.

looks like a post 9/11 time... the guy looked like from middle-east ...and sounded like one

i think it looks pretty sweet. Ill wait for this to come out and NCAA Football 2008? to come out before i get a PS3, i just cannot afford it right now. And there is no way i am purchasing an XboX (MS already has to much of my money).

They showed probably 10 prominent new york city landmarks. I never played any other GTA games (yeah I know...), but is liberty city an amalgam of New York city, or is everyone in the thread missing the fact that the chrysler building, the empire state building, the statue of liberty, and other prominent new york landmarks are in the trailer?

Yes, Liberty City is based off New York.

This game is going to kick ass just as all the other ones did. A Russian mob would be completely badass, plus the only mob games that are put out are generally all aboot the Ities

Luxor said:

I remember that too

(MS already has to much of my money).

Do they? How about Walmart? Do they have enough of your money? I mean seriously let's don't stop at MS.

Looked pretty interesting. Graphics weren't all that great to be honest.
They weren't BAD, but they weren't the gigantic leap I expected. Still, as long as it's a huge seamless world with no pauses and load times, I can deal.
That guy is clearly Eastern European, so it might be interesting to see if he's part of the Russian mob.
I'm pretty excited, but I think some of it was a letdown.

Looked pretty interesting. Graphics weren't all that great to be honest.
They weren't BAD, but they weren't the gigantic leap I expected. Still, as long as it's a huge seamless world with no pauses and load times, I can deal.
That guy is clearly Eastern European, so it might be interesting to see if he's part of the Russian mob.
I'm pretty excited, but I think some of it was a letdown.

Same here, I thought the city was nice but the character (both the main one and the NPC's) were highly mediocre. I also thought the cars shown were just "OK", they weren't anything special.

I have a feeling this is going to end up just being a dolled-up rehash. I hope I'm wrong, but it sure doesn't seem any different conceptually or thematically at this point. If we're going to get mediocre character models, I'd rather see the game on wii so I can do some beat-down on my hoes with the baseball bat :D

Same here, I thought the city was nice but the character (both the main one and the NPC's) were highly mediocre. I also thought the cars shown were just "OK", they weren't anything special.

I have a feeling this is going to end up just being a dolled-up rehash. I hope I'm wrong, but it sure doesn't seem any different conceptually or thematically at this point. If we're going to get mediocre character models, I'd rather see the game on wii so I can do some beat-down on my hoes with the baseball bat :D

Can't deny that. Out of the three replacement units they sent me, the first was scratched and even dented in one corner, and coated with greasy fingerprints. The second was just scratched and coated in greasy fingerprints. The most recent was the same way. I missed my shiny, perfect unit, *sigh*...

Can't deny that. Out of the three replacement units they sent me, the first was scratched and even dented in one corner, and coated with greasy fingerprints. The second was just scratched and coated in greasy fingerprints. The most recent was the same way. I missed my shiny, perfect unit, *sigh*...

:confused:

I'm surprised that so many of you are bashing the graphics on this game.

Dynamic lighting on that kind of scale, with those kind of textures and moving objects can't be processor-friendly.

Oct 07.

Anyone else get sorta a Matrix vibe from that trailer. Looking good though, hope the PC version isn't to far behind. Still waiting for Bully.

Dude, give them a chance. It's just a quick preview. The game isn't even scheduled to come out until October, so they probably still have a good bit of optimization to get done on the engine before it's ready for primetime. This should just be a quick look at what they have now, not and example of exactly what to expect when it releases.

Umm, dude, WTF are you talking about? :confused:

I have mixed feelings... I'll reserve my judgment till I see something more substantial.

It seems that the GTA III version is a bit dummed down with no cars or ppl ... but still cool shoot

What i see on the GTA IV side, its that there seems there is a better line of sight that GTA III... there are a couple of cars far in the back, where in the GTA III they would have faded already

I think the correct term would be better draw distance. Anyway, compared to previous GTA games the graphics are much improved. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of the series, so I doubt I'll get it, but it's nice to see the game get a much needed graphical makeover.

um... what?

I noticed more npc in the game then SA for example. The streets looked filed with life. Maybe they went for a world thats alive instead of a HDR ghost town.

In case anybody was wondering, the trailer is on the Xbox Live Marketplace. I didn't download it, to see what type of quality it is, because I viewed it on my PC... but it is there, and it's 51.73mb, if I remember correctly.

Dude, give them a chance. It's just a quick preview. The game isn't even scheduled to come out until October, so they probably still have a good bit of optimization to get done on the engine before it's ready for primetime. This should just be a quick look at what they have now, not and example of exactly what to expect when it releases.

Umm, dude, WTF are you talking about? :confused:

On the second response, apparently that's what I get for having two freaking windows open at once with two different threads, LOL.

As for the graphics, I wasn't bashing, I was just saying that the character and cars were mediocre. Let's face it, for a game that's essentially 3rd gen 360/2nd gen PS3, they should have Gears of War caliber stuff on *everything*.

Either way, I'm sure it'll be an interesting title.

On the second response, apparently that's what I get for having two freaking windows open at once with two different threads, LOL.

As for the graphics, I wasn't bashing, I was just saying that the character and cars were mediocre. Let's face it, for a game that's essentially 3rd gen 360/2nd gen PS3, they should have Gears of War caliber stuff on *everything*.

Gears of wars was a short game, gta is usually a much longer game. What makes things harder on the development side of gta is that it's a sandbox game and they have to factor in physics, how things crash, and such.

Gears of war looks as good as it does because you rarely have more than 8 guys on screen at once. GTA and games like crackdown are rendering areas ten times or more larger than a game like Gears. You can't have gears graphics with dozens of cars being driven around, people all over the streets moving with their own independent AI, and so forth.

Back