Gran Turismo

99.9% of racing fans think is a positive addition to a game.
Did you pull the numbers out of your...... ? :p

Like oqvist said, racing fans who play racing sims drive cleanly and respect others. So how does damage modelling make a difference?

Last time i checked there adding damage to gran turismo, or am i missing something here?

Kazunori Yamauchi did say last year that damage modeling will be included in the final build, but I think it's just gonna come down to whether or not the ps3 can handle it in the end.
I mean the cars in prologue rival their real life counterparts, graphics wise as it is, and we're still what a year from release. That's my only worry that Yamauchi will try to push the envelope even harder toward release to get the models looking even better than they do now. And just get to the point to where the ps3 cant handle the high rez models and the damage modeling both. And with him the damage modeling will be cut before the quality of the models are.

But don't get me wrong I would love to see him achieve both, but I have my doubts.

No No No.

Kazunori Yamauchi is planning on adding damage modeling.
It went downhill when Ferrari and a few other manufacturers did not want their cars to be damaged in GT5.

I think it is up in the air right now until some one chooses if there will or wont be damage allowed in the game because select manufacturers dont want High quality damage on their cars.

I suggest a lot of you visit http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/ and educate yourselves on what is happening with the future of GT5.

btw, playing the Prologue with all cars unlocked with all gold and $2mil is pretty fun for me.
You can DL the 100% save game file there too.

^^ Ron FTL, FTW.

that's my second most visited web site. pretty cool tournament coming up there too.

What I like about Forza is that when you go off the track with all four tires you get a time penalty, same thing when you touch another car...it's all about clean racing and smokin' fast lap times.

And the way you upgrade your car to a certain class is pretty cool too. You can have the same car in four or five different classes. BUT, there are certain cars that dominate the game, and a lot of the guys I play with won't allow those cars in races! (leaderboard cars).

What I don't like about Forza 2 is the LOOK of the game...it's depressing. The colors are drab, so are the backgrounds. In the GT series, it's always been bright and colorful. I know that sounds strange, but please tell me someone out there agrees with me.

As for damage, I really don't care if my car LOOKS damaged, so long as when i smash into a wall, it doesn't work as well.

I also don't care if I have 632 different cars, 200 cars is fine, but I don't need to race a Fiat 500 or Jay Leno's Monster Car. These additions to GT are a waste of resources if you ask me. Put a couple hundred interesting cars in the game, and give me more tracks, and for crying out loud, keep the DLC coming. That's what keeps me coming back to a game. Especially new tracks, that's where the variety is.

And, I don't consider the same track in reverse a "different" track, it's usually a screwed up version of a good track. Like Maple Valley in Forza 2, it's great going forward, but backwards it has a pretty messed up flow.

And someone said something about Forza 3 and GT:5 coming out at the same time...that would be interesting, but really not in GT's favor I don't think...it's been so long since the last full GT game that a lot of people have switched to Forza 2 (me included).

Stop adding crap to GT that we don't need and release the game already...It's been 5 YEARS!!! Git 'er DONE!!!

Gotta agree with alg7 here. Crash modeling wouldn't add anything to "The Real Driving Simulator". If the next one is called "The Real Driving Game", so be it.

What I don't like about Forza 2 is the LOOK of the game...it's depressing. The colors are drab, so are the backgrounds.
I think it's a fair comment. Forza 2 would have looked much better had they taken a slightly different artistic direction and tweaked the lighting a bit.

I'd like to buy Forza 2 because I haven't played a racing sim since Sega GT & GT3 but if Forza 3 is on the horizon maybe I'll wait. =\

I bought a PSP back in 2005 because I thought Gran Turismo Mobile would come out soon, it's 2009 now...

I'd like to buy Forza 2 because I haven't played a racing sim since Sega GT & GT3 but if Forza 3 is on the horizon maybe I'll wait. =\

you can probably find forza 2 for less than 10 bucks now since it was a bundle game for a while

Something so big is cooking, you can't even imagine the size of it.

And there is something else cooking, which you can't even imagine the price of it.

And the third thing is also in the oven, but you can't even imagine it's even baking. And besides that third thing there is something else in the oven, I'd say it's the oven itself.

And I guess everything will be presented in the gala dinner in the weeks or months to come, but at the E3 latest.

And then you'll find out that day of the Fiest is also known even today.

And yes, my NDA is killing me so much that I can't even tell you how much you should be hungry. But I can assure you it will be the Fiest of the Gods.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114526

:) Hopefully they announce a release date at E3.

They need to announce something and soon.

And whatever it is needs to be WAY better than what has been shown in Prologue so far.

The Gran Turismo franchise, or the as-yet-unfulfilled promise of it, is single-handedly responsible for my PS2, PSP and PS3 purchases.

Of course, GT3 was actually OUT when I bought my PS2 ...

I would not have bought the PSP if I had known Gran Turismo Mobile would be a no-show.

The PS3 has been a pleasure in many ways, so I do not regret that purchase at all, but I am still very worried taht GT5 will be ANYTHING like GT5: Prologue ... which is so very bad, so overrated, that it honestly has me worried about a series that so far as been uniformly excellent.

GT3 and GT4 are two of my very favorite games EVER (coming from someone with every console ever sold in the US/UK). While I prefer the physics and general biases of Forza 2 right now, I have more hours on GT3 and 4 than almost any other video game. So you can consider me a serious Gran Turismo fan.

GT5:p is so far out of whack it is not funny. If I was Audi I would pull their license right now ... the general physics, or the parameters applied to the R8 are so far out of whack with reality it is almost as if whoever modelled it never took basic math and as CERTAINLY never driven the bloody car.

No, I do not own one (my own cars are Aston Martin, Porsche and BMW). But I have run a couple of R8s around various circuits. And I know the car well enough to know that whatever Polyphony have done to it is NOTHING like the real car.

I just hope they get it right. It would be horrible to have a series which has been nothing less than exemplary so far fall foul of the hype and wind up being GT5:p with more cars and tracks.

Even playing with a G25 GT5:p is bleedin' awful.

you can probably find forza 2 for less than 10 bucks now since it was a bundle game for a while

My girlfriend just got me Forza 2 today for our 2 year anniversary ^_^ Now I can finally try to see why everyone loves it. :)

If GT5 is to be big, they would need to start from the ground up again. GT5p BETTER not be the end direction of this game. It's just horrible.

No, I do not own one (my own cars are Aston Martin, Porsche and BMW). But I have run a couple of R8s around various circuits. And I know the car well enough to know that whatever Polyphony have done to it is NOTHING like the real car.

Pics or shens... :p

Pics or shens... :p

Happy to oblige ... here is my Aston ...

BetterLight.jpg

This shot was taken for another such request on the Xbox forums (my GamerTag is "Brutal Deluxe" if you are interested). There are bunch more in the thread here ...http://forums.xbox.com/2/15996684/ShowPost.aspx#15996684 (go about half-way down the 2nd page). That thread is quite a funny read by the way ... at least I think so.

I am not at home at the moment, but I will be happy to post more recent pictures when I am (Sunday or Monday), with pictures of this thread included (as I did with my GamerTag for that thread) if you really want too (though you do not seem to be trying to be annoying unlike the pratt in the Xbox.com thread ;) ).

If you read the whole thread (or the other one there I posted in that is similar) I was trying to decide what to buy next, and in the end I opted to put an order in on the DBS, went with a GT3 RS after trading in the 996 C4S Cab, and the BMW, my daily driver, wound up as a 745Li.

Happy to oblige ... here is my Aston ...

BetterLight.jpg

This shot was taken for another such request on the Xbox forums (my GamerTag is "Brutal Deluxe" if you are interested). There are bunch more in the thread here ...http://forums.xbox.com/2/15996684/ShowPost.aspx#15996684 (go about half-way down the 2nd page). That thread is quite a funny read by the way ... at least I think so.

I am not at home at the moment, but I will be happy to post more recent pictures when I am (Sunday or Monday), with pictures of this thread included (as I did with my GamerTag for that thread) if you really want too (though you do not seem to be trying to be annoying unlike the pratt in the Xbox.com thread ;) ).

If you read the whole thread (or the other one there I posted in that is similar) I was trying to decide what to buy next, and in the end I opted to put an order in on the DBS, went with a GT3 RS after trading in the 996 C4S Cab, and the BMW, my daily driver, wound up as a 745Li.

Actually one of my friend drive one around all the time.(rich bastard) Exact same color. The engine sound is just perfect.

Now that's a nice piece of metal. :)

What do you do for a living Torq?

Thanks! I have to say I enjoy it. Unlike the 911, which is admittedly more capable on the track, the Aston is a really nice place to sit even when you are not getting to thrash the life out of it. And also unlike the 911, the Aston always gets positive attention ;)

As for what I do for a living ...

I am a software architect/engineer. I spent 8 years at Microsoft, and was a Principal Architect on various high-profile projects, including Office, until I left early last year (due to total boredom).

Now I work with a local start-up and in the process of setting up a new business of my own, which combines my software and hardware design/implementation skills.

Due to the current finical troubles that many automobile manufacturers are going through, racing game developers are in a much better position to demand car damaging physics & modeling be placed in there respected games. Manufacturers should pretty much agree to anything that sends money there way so I have high faith that GT5 will have damage modeling in it. GT5 needs to happen ASAP for the PS3 as the franchise has lost a lot of fans to other racing sims/franchises. Many jumped ship to Forza 2. I was one of them.

I was a huge Gran Turismo fan for a very long time. I still own all 4 games plus GT5 prologue. I skipped the original Forza. Forza 2 however was leaps & bounds superior in so many ways to GT5P. The car damage played a huge role in me favoring Forza 2. The cars also felt much more realistic when driven, the oversteer/understeer mechanics were very well done. The controller feedback was also done very well where the rumble helped a big deal alerting you where tire pressure was being applied so you could prevent yourself from spinning out often.

The biggest problem for GT5 at the moment is the threat of the looming Forza 3 game which is rumored to be released late this year. I highly doubt it will be but that's the rumor. The other rumor also floating around & reported on many Forza fansites is the game will have over 400 cars & 100 tracks. I'm certain the 100 track claim will end up being more like 30 something tracks broken up in different ways. Which is usually the case for most games. Forza 2 as a whole does not need much improvement but if the rumor holds true as being over 400 cars & 100 tracks for Forza 3, GT5 will be in some serious trouble.

Due to the current finical troubles that many automobile manufacturers are going through, racing game developers are in a much better position to demand car damaging physics & modeling be placed in there respected games. Manufacturers should pretty much agree to anything that sends money there way so I have high faith that GT5 will have damage modeling in it. GT5 needs to happen ASAP for the PS3 as the franchise has lost a lot of fans to other racing sims/franchises. Many jumped ship to Forza 2. I was one of them.

I was a huge Gran Turismo fan for a very long time. I still own all 4 games plus GT5 prologue. I skipped the original Forza. Forza 2 however was leaps & bounds superior in so many ways to GT5P. The car damage played a huge role in me favoring Forza 2. The cars also felt much more realistic when driven, the oversteer/understeer mechanics were very well done. The controller feedback was also done very well where the rumble helped a big deal alerting you where tire pressure was being applied so you could prevent yourself from spinning out often.

The biggest problem for GT5 at the moment is the threat of the looming Forza 3 game which is rumored to be released late this year. I highly doubt it will be but that's the rumor. The other rumor also floating around & reported on many Forza fansites is the game will have over 400 cars & 100 tracks. I'm certain the 100 track claim will end up being more like 30 something tracks broken up in different ways. Which is usually the case for most games. Forza 2 as a whole does not need much improvement but if the rumor holds true as being over 400 cars & 100 tracks for Forza 3, GT5 will be in some serious trouble.
If you want realistic, you don't play with a controller, you play with a nice racing wheel.

Last edited:
People complaining about unrealistic physics and damage modeling for a racing game is just amusing. How realistic do people want them to take it? If they included realistic physics people wouldn't buy the game. It's part of the racing world that freak things happen, parts break etc... How would you like it if you were running a 10 race series and were tied in points coming into the last race. In the last race you take the first corner and because of a simulated realistic physics model based on real racing a tie rod breaks and you slide right into the wall and your day is done. How about if you're tranmission fails and it pops out of gear while you're hitting about 8000rpm and you blow the engine? Things like this happen all the time, even at the top levels of racing with top of the line parts for top of the line race teams.
That's real racing and that's real racing physics people. If it had real physics it would drive most mainstream people away from the game. It takes real skill to take a car around a track and most people don't understand how to do that. Adding damaged modeling just adds to this issue. How is it realistic if you have a damaged looking car but it still drives the same as a clean looking car? Or should they make the game engine calculate all that would be effected. There are millions of variances. I don't think we're even close to the computing power that would take. There are so many unaccounted for things, you'll never get a feel for driving a car based on a video game.
Some people get a bit too critical and ask for things they don't really want.

How would you like it if you were running a 10 race series and were tied in points coming into the last race. In the last race you take the first corner and because of a simulated realistic physics model based on real racing a tie rod breaks and you slide right into the wall and your day is done. How about if you're tranmission fails and it pops out of gear while you're hitting about 8000rpm and you blow the engine? Things like this happen all the time, even at the top levels of racing with top of the line parts for top of the line race teams.

That is EXACTLY what us sim fans want from a racing sim. You nailed it to a "T". That is what I love about Forza 2. We could be in a 50 lap enduro on the ring, and on the last lap, I can accidently over rev my engine and knock out the tranny, blow an engine or lose a gear, essentially knocking me out of the race. I would be limping to the finish line, or sitting there with smoke coming from my car as I rev the engine to 8000 rpm only to see my car go about 1 mph (or dead). Or I could take a turn too sharp 5 laps before the finish, break a tie rod, and now I am counter steering for the rest of my race, unless I can make it to the pits and back out.

That is what WE want, and that is the option. Like in Forza 2, it's "optional". So you can choose to race with these realistic settings, or disable those settings.

There is NO reason they shouldn't produce damage physics and make it OPTIONAL so they can appeal to the more casual fans such as your self, and the more hardcore fans like us. GT5 will not be worth a purchase as a sim racer if there is no damage, period. It would merely be an arcade racer.

That is EXACTLY what us sim fans want from a racing sim. You nailed it to a "T". That is what I love about Forza 2. We could be in a 50 lap enduro on the ring, and on the last lap, I can accidently over rev my engine and knock out the tranny, blow an engine or lose a gear, essentially knocking me out of the race. I would be limping to the finish line, or sitting there with smoke coming from my car as I rev the engine to 8000 rpm only to see my car go about 1 mph (or dead). Or I could take a turn too sharp 5 laps before the finish, break a tie rod, and now I am counter steering for the rest of my race, unless I can make it to the pits and back out.

That is what WE want, and that is the option. Like in Forza 2, it's "optional". So you can choose to race with these realistic settings, or disable those settings.

There is NO reason they shouldn't produce damage physics and make it OPTIONAL so they can appeal to the more casual fans such as your self, and the more hardcore fans like us.

well fucking said mate!!

There is NO reason they shouldn't produce damage physics and make it OPTIONAL so they can appeal to the more casual fans such as your self, and the more hardcore fans like us. GT5 will not be worth a purchase as a sim racer if there is no damage, period. It would merely be an arcade racer.

I agree with the bolded part, sorta. The AI drivers aren't good enough to make a damage modeling system "worth it" IMO.

Besides, not having damage modeling makes it an arcade racer? So that means HAWX is more of a sim than most flight sims, because most flight sims don't have damage modeling systems and you can't actually blow up the plane etc? The "sim" part refers to what you're meant to be doing, either flying or driving, not what you're supposed to avoid(crashing, blowing up, otherwise failing entirely).

As long as the damage modeling system is optional, I'm fine with it. Then again, I've never treated the GT series as games to "beat" so much as I've just enjoyed training myself on the tracks and cars they offer. Whether or not I win the grand-prix de whatever isn't why I play. Seeing my lap-times go down is.

GT5:p has enough cars, tracks and online gameplay to keep me entertain with my G25 until the full game is out.
You must be very easy to please...I pretty much did everything there was to do in Prologue in the span of about 3-4 days. (and that was taking my time)

You unlocked and drove the Ferrari race car in 3-4 days, while taking your time ?

I agree with the bolded part, sorta. The AI drivers aren't good enough to make a damage modeling system "worth it" IMO.

Besides, not having damage modeling makes it an arcade racer? So that means HAWX is more of a sim than most flight sims, because most flight sims don't have damage modeling systems and you can't actually blow up the plane etc? The "sim" part refers to what you're meant to be doing, either flying or driving, not what you're supposed to avoid(crashing, blowing up, otherwise failing entirely).

As long as the damage modeling system is optional, I'm fine with it. Then again, I've never treated the GT series as games to "beat" so much as I've just enjoyed training myself on the tracks and cars they offer. Whether or not I win the grand-prix de whatever isn't why I play. Seeing my lap-times go down is.

i disagree. the car damage is a must for any racing "SIM", a plane in flight sim hardly crashes and is not part of the experience of flying a plane such has a boeing 777 whilst in a racing game, car damage is part of a proper race.

i remember how past GT games you bounce off walls and cars because of no car damage. now tell me, is that a sim?

Try simulating hitting a wall with your car and tell me what happens. :p I like both forza and gt, but forza 2 has made to were I can run better lines and not ride the rails. All because of damage, I actually slow down for an apex... go figure. But as far as people that take pleasure in fucking up your rides, do any of you report them for bad behavior? If you let someone ruin a game, they will keep on.

Try simulating hitting a wall with your car and tell me what happens. :p I like both forza and gt, but forza 2 has made to were I can run better lines and not ride the rails. All because of damage, I actually slow down for an apex... go figure. But as far as people that take pleasure in fucking up your rides, do any of you report them for bad behavior? If you let someone ruin a game, they will keep on.

well gt5 just needs a kick vote in each server. sorted

I understand wanting full damage and physics in a hardcore sim, but without the general arcade/sim hybrid gamer it wouldn't be profitable enough to realease it in full sim form. There has to be some give and take.

Bogie I would love that in a game as well, however most people wouldn't and I don't think the GT series has built enough rep in the sim realm to pull in enough players. As for sims though you'll never be able to catch the feel of actual racing and for a lot of people putting in all the work for a true sim would be harder than just actually racing locally. There are some things that just will never be replicated, atleast in our lifetime, and the feeling of accelerating, braking and just feeling the car are just a few.

There is no reason to stop playing racing sims however. I just don't know if i'd be so hard pressed to want full realism.

Back