Grainy Photos

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
I would like to preface this by saying I know very little about digital cameras. I don't have one of my own, because I don't have much interest. However, I am my parents tech person, so I have been tasked with figuring this out.

They have a Canon Powershot A540 digital camera. Some specs include 6 megapixels and 4x optical zoom.

Just as a sample, here is a shot I took a few minutes ago. I wont be able to describe what it is doing as well as just looking at it will tell anyone. (click thumbnail)

It seems like an ISO problem maybe, but I am not sure that this little camera has any adjustable settings as far as that goes. I hope there isn't something broken in the camera that is causing this. I figure dad has likely taken the camera camping a time or two. I wouldn't think he would have been careless with it, but camping, things just tend to happen to things sometimes.

Also, the batteries currently in it are pretty dead I think. Could that cause it?

Second question. Is there a way to make the default picture size smaller on this camera without making the pictures look bad? They are doting grandparents that like to take pictures to work of their 5 month old grand child. The pictures are too big when you just email them to someone, and the file sizes are kinda big for them too. Their IT departments seem to complain if their My Pictures folder gets any bigger than about half a gig.

Thanks for all your help.

I would say that this looks like a noise issue caused by high ISO. Even if the camera was in fully automatic mode it may have chosen a high ISO to compensate for a dimly lit room. I am not familar with the menu interface on the Canon Powershots (I shoot with a Rebel XSI) but most digital cameras should have a picture quality option. Keep in mind that added image file compression comes with a trade off in quality. "look bad" is a relative thing. If your parents are only going to view these on the computer or 4x6 prints than dropping down a megapixel or two shouldn't have a noticeable effect.

One last thing. You may want to introduce your parents to one of the simple online photo editors like Picnik. This will allow them to easily re-size there images for email.

Second question. Is there a way to make the default picture size smaller on this camera without making the pictures look bad

Not without making the pictures look bad. File size is roughly proportional to image quality. Your folks are going to have to learn basic postprocessing. They can accomplish "resizing" with a program called "irfanview" - freeware. Resizing a 6mp image in postprocessing is "better" than doing it in camera as you have a lot more IQ to start, while dropping down some MP's actually uses less of the already tiny image sensor.

I don't see any ISO noise in that photo. I do however see that its just plain out of focus.

Are you guys aware that most cameras these days allow you to half-press the shutter to obtain focus, then you fully press to take the picture? If you just press fully the camera may lock onto the first thing that it can which might not even be anything at all before taking the shot.

The halfpress allows you to focus, then you can examine the result, which will save you some "fuzzy pictures" that "didn't come out".

What I see wrong with that shot is a number of things.

1. The whole scene seems out of focus.
2. The tree is bland, lacks contrast, and seems washed out.
3. The subject is in the center of the frame.
4. Distracting glare on the pictures in the back from the flash.

#'s 2 and 4 are caused by using flash. Photographers rarely if ever use flash. Pictures come out looking - well like the picture you posted.

#4 might have caused another issue - white balance which can contribute to #2 (poor colors) - The camera sets its "white point" on the value that is the brightest in the scene. This may very well be the reflection off the picture frame - which is WAY too high - much brighter than ANYTHING else in the scene, and it could throw everything off.

I notice in the EXIF that it was shot at 1/60 at f/2.8. This is "portrait" style. At such a low focal length, at such a wide aperture - you have a VERY narrow depth of field.

I threw a bunch of terms out - they are mildly advanced photography terms. WHat it comes down to is that when you shoot in such a manner, the camera is expecting a very specific subject. Most likely a persons head only, or a small object, and an EXACT area is in very sharp focus. Now it looks like somehow you missed focus in the shot so the area of sharp focus is most likely directly in front of the tree, where there is nothing but air.

To combat this you can shoot in so-called "aperture priority" mode, which would be the simplest way to correct. You select which aperture to shoot and the camera selects the shutter speed.

f/2.8 gives good closeup and portrait detail.

f/5.6 is good all-round

f/8.0 is good for landscapes.

However your camera may not even have that option.

I took the liberty of fixing this photo - it shows you what can be done with literally 1 minute in photoshop.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/bobdole369/IMG_1071copy.jpg

Dead batteries do not affect image quality. They turn off the camera. Thats it.

Cliffs:

1. Learn to take better pictures - teach your folks. A little bit of knowledge goes a VERY long way.
2. Half-press to achieve focus - review and then actually take the photo
3. Use either picnick (via flickr) or irfanview to resize the pictures - its very easy.
4. Try not to use flash.

they covered it

grain is from a high ISO , they need better lighting or learn the manual modes of the camera to compensate for low light, which usually means placing the camer on a surface and using manul modes to low ISO but increase the aperature.

as bobdole said, looking at the full pic, i see no noise really, just poor lighting and nothing really in clear focus, some ornaments are semi in focus, seems the camera couldnt decide what to focus on...

perhaps they had the camera set in portrait mode instead of landscape mode...

Back