• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

grado sr60 or sr80?

khanable

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
9,776
strictly for music

I will use either pair on both my computer via my receiver, and on my newly purchased meizu m6 SL miniplayer.

I'm leaning towards the sr60 due to price, and better ability to run unamped.. though most of the music I listen to is rather bassy and the better bass performance of the sr80 is tempting me.

I've read that the sr80 sounds fine unamped, but then I've also read that it requires an amp. Same with the sr60, but many more people claiming it's fine unamped.

so, what do you guys think?

I want to purchase these today if possible..

Thanks!
 
How much is the difference in price? I've owned both pairs at different times, but I remember them sounding more similar than different. Have you ever heard a pair of Grado's before? If not, I would just go with the SR-60 to save some money for now. If you decide you like the sound, you can always sell them for little loss and upgrade to a higher model.
 
yea I went with the sr-60's and saved the $25 or so.

Ended up getting some hd414 cushions to save my fragile ears :D

guess this thread is pointless at this point! hah!
 
I have the SR60's and they're great, but as I learned spend a little more and get a little more.
I bought the HD595's shortly after, since the SR60's paved the road to higher ground for me.
SR80's and SR60's use the same driver, so they both will be fine un-amped.
Quote from GRADO's own page:
"Built on the same features as the SR60, but utilizes a 4 conductor connecting cable and larger ear cushions, the result of which gives a more open stage."
When you talk to the super finicky audio crowd always remember that with good advice always comes some "hardcore" advice that shouldn't always be followed.
I'd start un-amped unless you plan running it off a mobile mp3 player with low output.
 
yea I went with the sr-60's and saved the $25 or so.

Ended up getting some hd414 cushions to save my fragile ears :D

guess this thread is pointless at this point! hah!

The Grado comfort seems to be a YMMV thing. Even with the HD414 pads, I could wear them for an hour, maybe two at the most.

Hope you enjoy them till the upgrade bug hits! ;)
 
I got a pair of SR-80s because I found a good deal on them that was only $10 more than the SR-60s so I figured why not. As someone stated earlier, they use the same drivers so they will be almost audibly identical. Either way you will not be disappointed. Those headphones let me hear parts of songs I had never noticed before and really opened my mind up to the fact that investing in high quality audio equipment does pay dividends. It also let me hear how much my setup sucked noise-wise, so you might wind up spending money on more than just the cans. Save a bit with the 60s and put that towards an amp or a new soundcard, etc. I run mine unamped and they sound stellar. They do lack in the bass dept, but they more than make up for that in the mid-range.

Also a comment on the comfort level: I've got a hueg head so the headband is what really gets to me, rather than the earpads. Come on how much does padding cost, Grado? Honestly.
 
Also a comment on the comfort level: I've got a hueg head so the headband is what really gets to me, rather than the earpads. Come on how much does padding cost, Grado? Honestly.
You can bend the metal in the middle of the band slightly and it'll ease the pressure, if that's what's bugging you. I did on my SR60's and using them became much more enjoyable.
 
I would highly suggest opting for the sr80 model, there is the bass factor (don't worry it's no where near overwhelming), I believe there are one or two minor aesthetic differences (something to do with the size adjusters and the headband) and neither model necessitates an amplifier.

Here's the site I ordered my pair from, after searching this was the best offer out there (free shipping, free set of Grado "L" replacement ear pads) That's $95.00 total price :cool:
 
i dont have experience with base sr60/80s but do have a pair of Alessandro MS-1's
which are supposedly a tweaked set of the grado's. while they are the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever owned, they sound awesome enough to put up with it.

as read the thread as i finished typing this I see you already bought some... whoops... oh well
 
The only differences between the SR-60 and SR-80 are the pads and the cable, I believe. If they were both using the same pads, I don't think many would tell the difference.

The pads on the SR-60 are more comfortable while the pads on the SR-80 emphasize the bass more.

Many people get the SR-60 and cut a hole in the center of the pads over the driver to allow more of the sound to pass through.

It it hard to go wrong with either one and I would decide entirely based on price. I would pay $25 more or so for the SR-80.
 
Got my 60's in today!

I am very impressed with the sound!!!

Units are very comfortable too.. they fit my head rather well!
 
Back
Top