• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Grado SR 225 Impressions

DrTacoElf

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 27, 2001
Messages
5,707
Having migrate from HD280s all i can say is that with flat pads the bass is powerful. Those phones are very musical quite a far cry from the HD280s. :D

I feel that i will grow to love them but right now i'm still adapting :)
 
GodsMadClown said:
Taco! Long time, no see. I'm glad you like your new headphones. Amplification?


None at the moment. Debating between gilmore lite and Headsave classic with dual OPA337 opamps and 24V elpac powersupply.

My source is an M audio revolution with foobar kernel streaming.
 
I'm confused... wouldn't a Heedsave classic be a downgrade from the CHA47 amp you sold?
 
Mister X said:
I'm confused... wouldn't a Heedsave classic be a downgrade from the CHA47 amp you sold?


Plus its AC 24V (and i was tired of changing 9V :D ).
And i would get it with dual OPA337 opamps (basically the same ones used in the $1000 headroom home amp).
 
You mean a OPA637?
<removed redundant crap>

Lets check the other part here....... unbuffered opamp based headphone amp vs your old buffered headphone amp.
Looks like a downgrade to me, especialy with those cans cause they need more current then that amp can feed them.
You are much better off with the Gilmore lite. ;)
 
Mister X said:
You mean a OPA637?
<removed redundant crap>

Lets check the other part here....... unbuffered opamp based headphone amp vs your old buffered headphone amp.
Looks like a downgrade to me, especialy with those cans cause they need more current then that amp can feed them.
You are much better off with the Gilmore lite. ;)


Really thanks Mr. X :D
I'll have to wait for a used one to come along.
I will be the first to admit i don't know all there is when it comes to amps. Isn't the gilmore a non op amp design?
What advantage does that offer?
 
Yup, the gilmore light is a discreet design.
The only opamps in it are for the servos which regulate the amount of DC offset.
The main advantage it has over that other amp is it has a nice buffer stage.
Not to mention that it is also upgradeable.
Plus the Gilmore it is a very neutral amp, which will serve you even after you upgrade your cans...... you can hardly say that about those muddy Burr Brown opamps. :D
 
Mister X, that's Mister X of headfi right?

EDIT: Mister X, I thought the headsave amps were based off a combo between ppa/meta42? Head-fi search shows that they are better than the meta42, and the meta42 is better than the CHA47 according to Morsel, I think.
 
Yes. Mister X (formerly known as X86dude) here = Mister X on Head-fi and other forums as well.

lizzardfire said:
EDIT: Mister X, I thought the headsave amps were based off a combo between ppa/meta42?

Lets pay a visit to the site linked above and see what we can figure out.....
Specifications

Panasonic power supply caps

OPA 2227 op-amp (socketed)

Vishay Dale 1% metal film resistors (hand matched to .1%)

Texas instruments TLE2426 based buffered virtual ground

Panasonic potentiometer

E Switch mini toggle switch

Cardas RCA input jacks

Switchcraft ¼” headphone jack

Choice of red, orange or blue LED

Premium silver aluminum knob

Reverse polarity protection

DC jack

Gain setting to suit individual requirements
Sure looks like nothing more then a tweaked cmoy style amp to me.


So much for the combo of a Meta42 PPA thing.
I think you are thinking of a Pimeta there.

lizzardfire said:
Head-fi search shows that they are better than the meta42, and the meta42 is better than the CHA47 according to Morsel, I think

Thank you for sharing your interpretation of what you read on Head-fi with us.......

Edit: BTW congrats on your upgrado. :D
 
Mister X said:
Thank you for sharing your interpretation of what you read on Head-fi with us.......

I don't really know how to interpret this comment. It sounds kinda condescending imo... especially since even the Go-Vibe has been proclaimed better than the meta42 by numerous people on head-fi, including in go_vtec's review. And the Classic is definitely better than the Go-Vibe. My "interpretations" don't have anything to do with it. If you still feel I'm "interpreting" things, feel free to use the search like I did. Unless you're above that, of course.
 
lizzardfire said:
I don't really know how to interpret this comment. It sounds kinda condescending imo... .
How is this condescending?
YOU are clearly telling us what you THINK people on Head-fi have said about different amps.

lizzardfire said:
especially since even the Go-Vibe has been proclaimed better than the meta42 by numerous people on head-fi, including in go_vtec's review. And the Classic is definitely better than the Go-Vibe.
See here is that whole thing again.....
Have you ever heard either of these amps yourself? Or are we to believe that you are once again interpreting what you read to form the opinion that the classic is better then the vibe?

And before you even ask..... Yes, I have had the chance to compare a well built meta 42 (with a single OPA2227 and dual opa627s) to a classic with low Z cans and the meta was clearly better.
lizzardfire said:
My "interpretations" don't have anything to do with it. If you still feel I'm "interpreting" things, feel free to use the search like I did.

Lets go back to what you said before and see if you can figure out were the whole interpretation part came from to begin with.

Head-fi search shows that they are better than the meta42, and the meta42 is better than the CHA47 according to Morsel, I think

lizzardfire said:
Unless you're above that, of course.

I am not above anything.... well, except for making comments about products I have never heard. :)
 
So a maxed out meta 42 might be a good alternative for me if i'm looking to save some $ from the glimore lite?
 
I was referring to the sarcastic "Thank you" at the beginning of the comment...

I still don't understand how quoting someone is my interpretation. I said that the go-vibe has been said to be better than the meta42 by numerous people. That is not an interpretation, it is a fact. I didn't say the Go-vibe or Classic was better than the meta42... but you said the meta42 was better than the classic :rolleyes: That's interpretation.

I suppose I should clarify my first post: To what I've seen by using Head-Fi search, all comparisons of the meta42 and the go-vibe/classic come out favorably for Norm's amps.
 
DrTacoElf said:
So a maxed out meta 42 might be a good alternative for me if i'm looking to save some $ from the glimore lite?
Yes but there is a catch.
Most Meta42's are not built for driving Grados so just "any old Meta42" is prolly not gonna be a good match.


lizzardfire said:
I suppose I should clarify my first post: To what I've seen by using Head-Fi search, all comparisons of the meta42 and the go-vibe/classic come out favorably for Norm's amps.
Instead of telling us what you have read why not tell us your own impressions of the amps in question? That takes the whole interpretation thing out of this discussion doesn't it? :p
 
I think it was the 225s that I demo'd at the hifi store.. they didn't have the 325s in stock so I had to wait for them to come in.
The 225s were nice.. definitely an upgrade from the crap headphones that I had been using from my PCDP
I'm probably going to be building a gilmore soon. I just have to put the big orders through when I get the funds.

enjoy.
 
Back
Top