GPU2 New Core Released Heads Up

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't seen it. There is a new core (1.06) released last night for the Nvidia GPU. Linky

Some users are claiming somewhat of an improvement in the lag issue, some aren't... several have noted a significant PPD drop with the new core, I saw at least one who said it didn't drop.

I'm waiting on a WU to finish and then will backup and delete my 1.05 core and try to get the update downloaded to test.

Anyone who has the new core already with stats post 'em up...:p

0.png

I updated mine. I used to have to turn it off (pause work) to be able to do internet things, now it just chugs along in the background. Also the kids can play their games on here too.

For a dedicated box, which is better to tun the new or old core? I'd like to see some before and after PPD results posted if possible.

For a dedicated box, which is better to tun the new or old core? I'd like to see some before and after PPD results posted if possible.

IMHO for a "don't have to touch it if the power goes out/it restarts and folds all by its' lonesome" sorta dedicated folder, the "old" 1.05 core as the affinities aren't hosed. See Parja's thread here about the problem. Note this is only if you're going to run multiple (read 2x) SMP's alongside the GPU client. If not, it shouldn't matter.

That being said, I did read @ the folding forum on the thread linked above that there are some science reasons for using the new core (fixes etc) so I'll stick with it.. I'll probably just delete and redownload it between work unit every couple of days hoping they update it. I did save a copy of the 1.05 core before I deleted it though just in case.. ;)

Here's some results for ya...

1.05 core running on XP32 with 177.35 drivers on a 9600GT @ 710/1820/1000 (C/S/M) running 2x VM SMP clients + GPU client affinities not set, all clients negotiating on their own.

SMP1 - 1977 - 2011 PPD
SMP2 - 1967 - 2006 PPD
GPU2 - 2159 - 2388 PPD
Box Total: 6103 - 6405 PPD

These numbers were dependent on what I was doing on the box. Best numbers being overnight.

Same setup except I deleted the 1.05 core and let it d/l the 1.06 core and when I check on it after dinner I saw this.. :eek:

SMP1 - 1856 PPD
SMP2 - 1753 PPD
GPU2 - 1709 PPD
Box Total: 5318 PPD

That's a hell of a hit... 13% drop from the WORST numbers on the 1.05 client.

I found the GPU core locked to CPU core 3 (regardless of the "lock" setting in config) which meant it was not only choking itself but starving both SMP's as well. After I set affinities on the GPU core to use all CPU cores, it started to come back up to normal as listed in the 1.05 stats above. I haven't completed a full WU yet since fixing the affinities but current numbers are back @

SMP1 - 2003 PPD
SMP2 - 1991 PPD
GPU2 - 2217 PPD
Box Total: 6211 PPD

That's right in the middle of my range for the 1.05 client above, so other than having to dick with setting the affinities any time I have to restart the GPU client, the 1.06 core is not too bad. I haven't noticed much improvement like others have in the smoothness of the desktop and apps like others have but with the 2xVM SMP clients it was already pretty smooth. If the lag was associated with the GPU client not releasing cycles then it should show up as a MINOR PPD drop. which would be an ok trade off...

As with all thing silicone related YMMV..:D

0.png

Thanks nomad, your post was exactly the information I was looking for. :) :cool:

Same here it seems to really be bogging down the SMPs now...

Yesterday:

#5 was at 7300 PPD, today its at 6800
#7 was at 7000 PPD, today its at 5500

Total points lost 2,000 PPD

For whatever reason my 8800GTX GPU client has not gotten the 1.06 core and remains at 7500 PPD

I wonder if 1 smp would work better wtih the 1.06 core or not?

Same here it seems to really be bogging down the SMPs now...

Yesterday:

#5 was at 7300 PPD, today its at 6800
#7 was at 7000 PPD, today its at 5500

Total points lost 2,000 PPD

For whatever reason my 8800GTX GPU client has not gotten the 1.06 core and remains at 7500 PPD

I wonder if 1 smp would work better wtih the 1.06 core or not?

That's a hugh drop and seems to fall in line with what I saw.. If you look at the affinities on the GPU core, I'll bet it's set for only one core. In my case it was core 3, in Parjas case I think it was core 1. In either case, this was causing not only a drop in the GPU client, but starving the 2x SMP clients. When I set the GPU client to use all core, the drop was WAYYYYY less.

Only problem I found with setting the 1.06 core to use all CPU cores was that when it d/l'd a new WU it reset the affinity back to just core 3 and bogged the system down again. Sucks for sure.

You could try the GPU+ an SMP plus a console client. That's how I set up my GPU at first, but found I could pick up 400-600 PPD by using the 2x VM SMP's.

0.png

Get the beta 8 client and i think it will work as expected.

The Beta 8 client didn't help in my case as that's what I've been running since it was first released, and what my testing was done with.

My biggest issue with the 1.06 core is that in my case, it keeps setting affinity to a single core when it snags a new WU. It may be an XP thing I don't know..
@ Xilikon.. I think you're running on Vista yes? Vista may not be affected by this issue.

Either way it's annoying as all hell.

0.png

Yeah, Vista x64 so I'm not as affected as those running XP from what I've heard.

THanks for the heads up, i stay away from this one :D

The thread was not started to discourage anyone from a particular client OR to try and steer anyone away from running something. I just want to make that clear... It is an informational post..

The point was to discuss what's available, issues that may involve some when running what's available, and possible work arounds for those issues...

The Beta 8 client runs fine and is the only one available for download. The newer 1.06 core that this thread was started to discuss is not a choice, as it downloads when you first start the client or may download/update at any time when you go to fetch a WU.

0.png

At a point, we cannot avoid the new core since Vijay Pande said that if the QA is good on core 1.06, he will push for a forced upgrade like it happened with core 1.05 before. At this time, if you avoid getting 1.06, you will not get any work ;)

In the greater scheme of things, it's a combination of client, core and driver and there is still work to do to improve them. Scott LeGrand said NVIDIA will have a new driver available soon to hopefully improve performance and stability since lots of current issues point back to the driver, we think.

Back