GPU Upgrade

Dekoth-E-

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so my computer is out of date and so is my knowledge of GPU's. Back when I was upgrading every year I knew everything about them, now I haven't upgraded my PC in years due to work and well..yea.

Budget -
$150 -
Current - HD 4850, the good one not the gimped version they came out with later.
Current PSU - Enermax Liberty 620w
Cpu - Thuban 6 core
Monitor - Samsung 23" LED wide.

Games -
SC 2
LoL
Random MMO's when I get a wild hair.

Why I am upgrading -
longer games in SC2 get a little choppy on max settings, less than max settings are unacceptable. Plus my HDD is full and I have $250 to spend so going to be nabbing a 1TB drive off newegg while I am at it. Yes I know I really need to upgrade everything, unfortunately I just bought a house and it will be at least summer before I have the extra to do so.

I should add, I am neither pro videos or air. I have owned both over the years. Best bang for the buck earns my business.

Last edited:

hesho

Gawd
7870 if its on sale would be my guess. maybe 7850 if that is just above your budget.

TB13

n00b
Go for a 7850, they are a bit over your budget, $180 or so, but they are fantastic cards for the money. If you really don't want to go over $150, get a GTX 650 Ti or a 7770, but the 7850 is going to provide superior performance for a little bit more money.

Also, if your monitor 1080p?

Dekoth-E-

Supreme [H]ardness
I can stretch the budget a bit if needed. Yes it is 1080.

Will go with that as it was my leaning anyhow. I just have been out of touch so long I wasn't dead positive my gut was right. Didn't want to waste money. To be fair though likely everything now smokes my current.

Dekoth-E-

Supreme [H]ardness
One more query.

If I could stretch my budget to get the 7870. Is it worth it? Right now I'm looking at roughly $30 difference.