GPU upgrade choices, which one is preferable?

chenw

2[H]4U
Hey all,

I know I have been iterating how much I yearn for the Pitan X and how I want to avoid SLI from now on, problem is that the GPU has yet refused to show its face, and I have been holding back some of my gaming.

I have a situation with my rig, it's fairly unique.

Short version is that, one of the biggest constraint for me to go back to SLI again, is that at least 1 of the GPUs must NOT have a backplate (the other GPU does not have this limitation). I can install single GPU without backplate, no issues beyond having to have the GPU run at x8 rather than x16.

Right now, the most demanding games I want to play are TW3 and Fallout 4, the latter I have plans to mod, and possibly Deus Ex: Mankind divided, all @ 1440p. All of the other games I own can be handled by a single 1070 (Wolfenstein New Order being the most demanding game I am aware of in my collection that does not support SLI, and I believe 1070 can handle it at 1440p at max settings, DOOM is easy to run).

Currently, I am running on 1 single 970, which is not enough.

So my question are, would you:

1. Pick up a 1070 and wait for 1080ti/Volta, though the former may not exist at all
2. Pick up a 1080 and just turn down details on TW3 to keep 60fps min (1080 can only manage TW3 maxed at 60fps)
3. Learn how to deplate a backplate from 1080 or get rid of my wireless adapter, and SLI 1080's. This would require me using an USB wireless dongle instead.
4. Stay put and wait for Pitan X or 1080ti, or find some other venues for Pitan X
5. SLI 1070's.

The cheapest option for me to SLI 1070 comes to the same price the cost of Asus STRIX 1080 O8G, but they'll be different brands (MSI GTX 1070 Armor non-OC and Galax 1070 EX non-OC versions). MSI 1080 Gaming X 8G is $70 cheaper than Strix. For reference (no pun intended), Strix costs the same as FE.

Oh, and assume no selling older cards to fund new ones (personal choice of mine).

Which would you pick?

Thanks!

If you really want a Titan X, then hold strong. I'm sure you will be able to get one soonish. If you have your heart set on it, you will never be happy with something else.

If you really want a Titan X, then hold strong. I'm sure you will be able to get one soonish. If you have your heart set on it, you will never be happy with something else.

^^ This.

I haven't had buy a new card in so long that i want to go all out like you do, but holding off until prices come back down to earth for a 1070/1080, i just don't feel that i game so hard i need a Titan X.

Its in stock now
Not in Taiwan, nVidia site here still has the dreaded "Notify me when it's released"... :cry:
I haven't had buy a new card in so long that i want to go all out like you do, but holding off until prices come back down to earth for a 1070/1080, i just don't feel that i game so hard i need a Titan X.
I have no shortage of games to play on my 970, but there are games I haven't been able or willing to touch without upgrading my GPU.

I don't get it on prices, it will be worthless in 2 years. I guess the market forces are excellent on driven drivel that you MUST buy at $500. Personally, I think it is a genius that people can convince other to spend $500 on a graphics card! I remember Kong GTX 7900!

Everything will be worthless in 2 years when it comes to technology.

Spending more on 1 gen means it's possible that you can skip the next gen.

Pascal is a little different in that it's basically a 2 gen increase over Maxwell. I want to get Titan X because It's the first ever GPU that does exactly what I want it to do (1080 fall short), 1080ti seems absolutely nowhere in sight because of Vega (980ti was dropped early in response to Fury X, without Vega nVidia has no reason to drop 1080ti anytime soon, since there is no reason to) and a single 970 is not remotely enough to carry me to Volta. Any stop-gap GPU right now would actually be a bigger waste of money for me, as I will probably get the full fat Volta and not another x70 or x80 GPU.

1070 isn't that good of a stop gap either, it barely maxes out Vanilla fallout 4 (36fps min is way too low), and thus leaves no room for modding. 1080 doesn't fair much better on the min fps (45) and its average fps leaves little room for mods, Titan XP is first card that runs FO4 well enough for me to mod significantly.

Everything will be worthless in 2 years when it comes to technology.

Spending more on 1 gen means it's possible that you can skip the next gen.

Pascal is a little different in that it's basically a 2 gen increase over Maxwell. I want to get Titan X because It's the first ever GPU that does exactly what I want it to do (1080 fall short), 1080ti seems absolutely nowhere in sight because of Vega (980ti was dropped early in response to Fury X, without Vega nVidia has no reason to drop 1080ti anytime soon, since there is no reason to) and a single 970 is not remotely enough to carry me to Volta. Any stop-gap GPU right now would actually be a bigger waste of money for me, as I will probably get the full fat Volta and not another x70 or x80 GPU.

1070 isn't that good of a stop gap either, it barely maxes out Vanilla fallout 4 (36fps min is way too low), and thus leaves no room for modding. 1080 doesn't fair much better on the min fps (45) and its average fps leaves little room for mods, Titan XP is first card that runs FO4 well enough for me to mod significantly.

Sounds like you have made up your mind then. You just need to keep checking stock or import one in from the US.

I think so, just so many games, not enough power has me pulling to immediate upgrade without waiting for Titan X, wanted to ask opinion from [H], in case I lose that fight, which one'd be better :p

It's amazing how popular this card is considering its price.

I knew people move up in SKUs. But this is just mind baffling. Titan X may become a serious entry on steam numbers and such before the holidays :p

OK, how's this:

I just noticed that my local store is doing a bit of fire sale on the older AMD cards, currently, a Gigabyte Fury (no X) costs the same as the cheapest of all of the 1070.

So.... SLI 1070, 1080 (to go with my PG278Q) or Crossfire Fury (to go with my BL3201PT)?

Also, while I am here, does running Crossfire on X8/X4 lead to significant perf impact compared to running it at X8/X8?

Crossfire Fury, with 4GB on a 1440p screen? :p

You be better of with crossfire 390/390X with 8GB.

As much as I don't like 4GB, 390X's prices are too close to Fury at the moment (~$30 difference between the cards).

I haven't seen any direct crossfire to crossfire comparisons though.

Oh, and if I go AMD, I probably will want to use my 4k, not 1440p.

As much as I don't like 4GB, 390X's prices are too close to Fury at the moment (~$30 difference between the cards).

I haven't seen any direct crossfire to crossfire comparisons though.

Oh, and if I go AMD, I probably will want to use my 4k, not 1440p.

No matter what, 4GB isn't going to cut it.

And why bother with multiGPU issues, specially with the lack of support. Its not getting better, only worse.

Just get a 1080 and be done with it. :)

OK, last question, I swear.

Any reason for getting any of the higher clocked cards, or would the cheapest one do?

I currently have Galax Ex OC has the cheapest of the 1080's (about $90 under FE), Inno3D X4, EVGA SC ACX3.0, Gigabyte G1 Gaming and Gaming X 8G being the next cheapest ones ($60 under FE)

OK, last question, I swear.

Any reason for getting any of the higher clocked cards, or would the cheapest one do?

I currently have Galax Ex OC has the cheapest of the 1080's (about $90 under FE), Inno3D X4, EVGA SC ACX3.0, Gigabyte G1 Gaming and Gaming X 8G being the next cheapest ones ($60 under FE)

Aren't those just overclocked referenced cards with maybe the exception of Gaming X which probably use better caps?

Edit, meant to say reference design PCB.

Back