GPU Seating Issues

fn9

Weaksauce
I'm using an MSI 560 Ti on a ASRock ITX MB.

Things have been fine until recently when I took the system apart for cleaning and removed most of the components.

Upon putting the system back together, I got a bunch of aberrations such as uniform vertical lines/squares, etc across the screen. Thinking that perhaps the GPU wasn't properly seated, I removed the two screws that bolt it to the back of the case and reseated it. A brief test and everything was perfect, but after putting the 2 screws in again, I'm getting the same problem.

The 2 case holes don't seem to line up perfectly with the GPU holes, but they're only maybe 1mm off. I guess the stress of putting the 2 screws in is enough to knock things out of wack, and this just doesn't seem right considering the mounting holes are only slightly off. Are GPU/MB contact areas typically so hypersensitive?

Any ideas what could be going on here?

Thanks

If it worked fine until you took it apart for cleaning then I would guess that it should go back together fine unless maybe while you were picking things up and cleaning you somehow ended up tweaking something while lifting them, like the case if it's a heavy one or something.

Or maybe the other end of the card isn't actually seated properly and when you put the screws in it kinda lifts it?

Either bend the gpu bracket back {at the bottom}. Or push the back of the case back in. Some cases flex a good bit and you need to do the manual adjust on it. Make sure the gpu latch is actually catching on the back of the gpu. Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

It didn't occur to me to attempt to tweak the bracket to make the GPU seat better. I still feel like it shouldn't be as sensitive as it currently is, but maybe I can get it to work.

Back