GPU Scaling in 11.3

yossarian

Gawd
I just completed a fresh Windows 7 install with my P8P67 Pro MB and 2600k processor. I'm using the same 5850 video card. I'm pretty sure the last drivers I used (11.2) let me select GPU Scaling and Maintain Aspect Ratio. I installed the 11.3 with the rebuild, and while I can select Enable GPU Scaling, the other options are grayed out with a permanent selection of Scale Image to Full Panel Size, which I don't want. My HP ZR24w monitor can't rescale itself and needs the video card to do it. Is this a new "feature" or was it left over settings from previous driver installs that I could even do it on the last Cat series? I've seen this discussion on the AMD forums but no real resolution or idea why it's this way.

Bump

I too am having trouble with this on 11.2.

The old workaround was to lower the resolution of your screen, then select "preserve aspect ratio", and revert back. But that doesn't work. After I go back to native rez, aspect ratio reverts again.

Ugh! I hate stretching! Was just trying to get MOO2 from gog up and running...

I'm having this on my HP TX2 laptop. I know I had this working on my last install - I think under Catalyst 10 - I'm considering reverting to last year's drivers.

Others that posted on the AMD forums...no answers.

Odd, the lower resolution thing has worked for me in the past. Let me see if it still does.

Yep, still working here. I'm on 11.5Hotfix, but doubt there's been any changes.

First, change your resolution to something lower than native. Then activate GPU scaling and enable preserve aspect ratio. Apply. Then change resolution back to native. The 'preserve aspect ratio' option will grey out again, but it will still work. Just tried it on MoO2 myself. I noticed that it didn't work if I enabled GPU Scaling before lowering my resolution though.

Last edited:
Odd, the lower resolution thing has worked for me in the past. Let me see if it still does.

Yep, still working here. I'm on 11.5Hotfix, but doubt there's been any changes.

First, change your resolution to something lower than native. Then activate GPU scaling and enable preserve aspect ratio. Apply. Then change resolution back to native. The 'preserve aspect ratio' option will grey out again, but it will still work. Just tried it on MoO2 myself. I noticed that it didn't work if I enabled GPU Scaling before lowering my resolution though.

Mine doesn't have a checkbox for GPU scaling. Maybe because it's the ATI mobility drivers instead?

It does let me choose "preserve aspect ratio" if the screen is at non-native resolution. But at native resolution "preserve aspect ratio" isn't even an option. At non-native res it works right (4:3 letterbox at 800x600).

And once I go back to native resolution - it's back to stretched - it doesn't seem to stick.

Yeah, could be there's a difference because of the drivers. Or it could be the laptop hardware maybe; perhaps they all default to GPU scaling. The GPU Scaling option is under the My digital Flat-panels->Properties tab here.

I think the reason we're not getting a "preserve aspect ratio" option while in native resolution is because there's no need to preserve it since it's the default. That is, I think it's asking whether to 'preserve the aspect ratio of your current resolution'. Not 'preserve the aspect ratio of the game/application's resolution'. So if you want 4:3 aspect ratio, first change to 800x600 then 'preserve' it.

As for why it doesn't seem to be working for you, I've no idea. You've tried doing it in the following order? Change to 800x600, enable preserve aspect ratio, change back to native, run the game. That's definitely working for me.

What's the Catalyst help thingy saying for you? Here it says the following:
Navigate to one of the following pages:
Standard View—Desktops and Displays > My Digital Flat-Panels > Properties (Digital Flat-Panel).
Advanced View—My Digital Flat-Panels > Properties (Digital Flat-Panel).
If more than one digital flat-panel is available for your computer, use the display selection menu at the top of the page to select the display that you want to configure.
In the Image Scaling area, select or clear Enable GPU scaling.
If applicable, select the desired scaling option:
Maintain aspect ratio—Expands the current image to the size of the monitor while maintaining the aspect ratio of the original image.
Scale image to full panel size—Expands the current image to the full size of the display for non-native resolutions.
Use centered timings—Turns off image scaling and centers the current image for non-native resolutions. Black bars may appear around the image.
Tip: The availability of scaling options vary depending on display models and operating systems.
Click Apply.
As you can see, the aspect ratio description is 'expands the current image'.

Last edited:
As for why it doesn't seem to be working for you, I've no idea. You've tried doing it in the following order? Change to 800x600, enable preserve aspect ratio, change back to native, run the game. That's definitely working for me.

Yup. Doesn't stick. Stretchy-vision. Only way to make it work is to switch to 800x600, go to Catalyst, set to preserve aspect ratio, go play game, switch it all back afterwards.

This guy mentions the same problem

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=148119

The help thing says this:

Setting Image Scaling for Built-in Displays

Navigate to one of the following pages:
Standard View—Desktops and Displays > My Built-in Displays > Properties (Built-in Display).
Advanced View—My Built-in Displays > Properties (Built-in Display).
If more than one built-in display is available for your computer, use the display selection menu at the top of the page to select the display that you want to configure.
Under Scaling Options, select the desired setting:
Preserve Aspect Ratio—Expands the current image to the size of the display while maintaining the aspect ratio of the original image.
Full Screen—Expands the current image to the full size of the monitor for non-native resolutions.
Centered—Turns off image scaling and centers the current image for non-native resolutions. Black bars may appear around the image.
Click Apply.

Images are scaled according to the selected option.

I updated to 11.5 but that didn't help either.

I see a reference here that GPU scaling doesn't work via VGA:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=142530&highlight_key=y&keyword1=aspect

But I had this working before on Catalyst 10. I'm pretty sure I did as suggested before - set rez lower, set keep aspect ratio, revert.

If I go change to 800x600, apply, CCC->preserve aspect ratio, exit the control center, change back to native, change back to 800x600, go back to CCC - it's forgotten the "preserve aspect ratio" again.

Last edited:
Hi all.

I'm trying to run BF3 in 1920x1080 on my 30" Dell (2560x1600) I would like the black bars to appears.
I'm using the displayport cable and I've done a fair bit of googling.
This thread doesn't help.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68072

The option is under "Digital Flat-Panel" section of the drivers and it's called "Image Scaling" - it has options for "Enable GPU scaling" "maintain aspect ratio" "scale image to full panel size" and finally "use centered timings" - these are greyed out when I'm at 2560x1600 (windows)
Even if I drop to the desired in game resolution in Windows (1080) it still shows without black bars and the 3 sections are greyed out.

I've done some process mon hunting around and discovered this section
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\DEL4065PH5NY13N274 L_0C_07DB_1E^25AE45A8C91AB212A6A8734E4B8D52C3\00\0 0
(obviously "DEL4065PH5NY13N274L_0C_07DB_1E^25AE45A8C91AB212A6 A8734E4B8D52C3" is unique(

There's a DWORD in there which is set to "4" for scaling - which is the one I want - but I believe scaling just turns itself off when not in low resolutions :/
Infact the only way to turn scaling to mainain aspect ratio is to drop to 1280x960 but then it forgets when I go back
(Registry key stays correct at 4 - it's no longer changable :/ however it's 4 - doesn't work though)

Is there a solution to this? It's bloody annoying and frankly, poor design. I want to ALWAYS remember my maintain aspect ratio settings, or configure per resolution. I don't think this has good enoguh controls for me to configure it properly.

I've put enough keywords in this that google might find it, I was tempted to post to AMD / ATI forums but I just can't be bothered, I'm not holding my breath. Worth a shot here though, appreciate your time guys

- thanks

im having this problem too...

6850 - using samsung s23a700d, i want to be able to run quakelive on my old config with 1024x768, and just have the gpu blow it up to the screen size but maintain the ratio (black bars on the sides).

the monitor does it but im keen to try it by gpu scaling as i think the monitor as adding input lag.

as mentioned above, if you change to non native res, you can change the settings, but one you change back to native res, it defaults again and doesnt stick :(

just upgraded to 12.1 preview drivers, same problem.

Anyone got a fix?

v 12.4 of the driver and this is STILL an issue.
Shame on you AMD for not having such a basic thing work right.

I'm just bumping this up to say that I have the same problem. One of the games I run is in 4:3 ratio and it's annoying to have to set my desktop resolution to that first, and then run the game. Then when I'm done, I have to manually revert back to widescreen.

Damnit fucking fix this.

I'm just bumping this up to say that I have the same problem. One of the games I run is in 4:3 ratio and it's annoying to have to set my desktop resolution to that first, and then run the game. Then when I'm done, I have to manually revert back to widescreen.

Damnit fucking fix this.

Odd, it remembers the setting it just doesn't allow you to change it.

That is:
1. Set desktop resolutiopn to lower res.
2. Change setting to maintain aspect ratio.
3. Change to your native resolution.

Do the above ONLY ONCE.
Now whenever you run the game it will automatically switch you to a lower res while the game is running, it will use maintain aspect ratio in that lower res, and then it will switch back to native res when you quit the game.

I am having really weird problems related to aspect ratio.

In the past to trick taltamir and others posted worked fine:

1. Set desktop resolutiopn to lower res.
2. Change setting to maintain aspect ratio.
3. Change to your native resolution.

Lately, however, it's NOT working properly. I have a 1920x1200 monitor, and sometimes I like to run games 1920x1080 (slight performance boost, and tbh sometimes I prefer 16:9). What happens is that yes, it gives me the black bars on the top and bottom- but it also adds them to the SIDE, resulting in a smooshed image. Really freaking weird. I am running the current 12.8 drivers, though this has been an issue for a while. Happened to me in Arma II (DayZ) as well and some other games.

Any ideas? I could really use a few extra fps in Borderlands 2 as I'm running PhysX on CPU and get sub-30 in some bigger fights.

Back