GPU Replacement in Old System

RoGuE1230

Limp Gawd
My GPU recently stopped working (RIP GTX 470) without displaying any kind of artifacts, just each time the driver installs, it won't output anything and reboots the computer. That can be read here if anyone has anymore input: I Need Help - System Issues

Anyway, I know the hardware is a little old, but it still suits my needs right now. I still haven't had many issues running any games (Rainbow Six Siege and Overwatch required reduced resolution). But I've been out of the loop for a while now, and was wondering what would be a good GPU to match up with this system (in my signature). I definitely don't need the latest and greatest, nor do I want to put much money in to this system at this point.

I guess I'm willing to spend around $100, not much more. Does that seem reasonable for a modern GPU that can match my old 470?

Last edited:
750ti will be faster then your GTX 470.

However I'd move up to the GTX 950 or R7 370 on the AMD side. GTX 950 though looks like the better fit if Siege and Overwatch are your go to games at the moment.

This is assuming, judging by your situation, you don't want to wait for Polaris.

750ti will be faster then your GTX 470.

However I'd move up to the GTX 950 or R7 370 on the AMD side. GTX 950 though looks like the better fit if Siege and Overwatch are your go to games at the moment.

This is assuming, judging by your situation, you don't want to wait for Polaris.

Is Polaris the next gen coming out soon? What would that mean for me? Getting a next gen budget card or waiting so it pushes down the price of budget cards out now? I can certainly wait a couple weeks if needed.

I'm also not a big of AMD video cards. Twice in the past I've gotten them and had issues.

Last edited:
I can barely find any 770s for sale for some reason, and what I do find are closer to $200.

Used ones can go for about $100-130 for the 2gb models. I had the ASUS OC for awhile and it ran BF4 at high settings @ 1080. With Pascal coming, prices seem to be drastically going down

wait it out this close......just a few weeks/days till we know exact time frame of whats coming and when

wait it out this close......just a few weeks/days till we know exact time frame of whats coming and when

Honestly budget and waiting it out generally do not fair well. Take advantage of falling prices currently, because retailers and people are selling current gen cards at a discount. This is a best time to jump on a current gen card sale.

Not to mention the green team is not looking too promising if early benchmarks are true. If I were on a budget, I would shoot for the 950 or 960.

Honestly budget and waiting it out generally do not fair well. Take advantage of falling prices currently, because retailers and people are selling current gen cards at a discount. This is a best time to jump on a current gen card sale.

Not to mention the green team is not looking too promising if early benchmarks are true. If I were on a budget, I would shoot for the 950 or 960.

I guess that makes sense...If I could get a EVGA 960 for $135 right now (from Jet.com with Amex offer and disocunt code), should I jump on that? Or alternatively a EVGA 950 for $113? Both are 2GB models.

Can the 950 do everything my 470 could do and more?

Last edited:
I guess that makes sense...If I could get a EVGA 960 for $135 right now (from Jet.com with Amex offer and disocunt code), should I jump on that? Or alternatively a EVGA 950 for $113? Both are 2GB models.

idk about the more part....but shouldn't be a downgrade either...close to the same but much lower power usage

The 960 is the better value if you are going to be gaming at 1080P, hands down. That is of course assuming we are talking just green cards.

It will be much more efficient than the 470 also.

Ditto on the 960. It's a good midrange card that's an upgrade to what you already have.

Is Polaris the next gen coming out soon? What would that mean for me? Getting a next gen budget card or waiting so it pushes down the price of budget cards out now? I can certainly wait a couple weeks if needed.

I'm also not a big of AMD video cards. Twice in the past I've gotten them and had issues.

To be be honest I'm not sure how much gains you will get from waiting at this low of a segment as the prices are already relatively low. Let's say whatever comes out forces prices down 30%, that is in absolute terms only $30. This is different then the higher ranges where 30% of $500 is $150. Not to mention there is more of a price floor effect, so how much prices get forced down relatively would also not be as high.

But the smaller Polaris 11 in theory can fit into the range you want. Whether or not it will actually price that low and what the actually availability time line will be is the risky part. June would be the optimistic range for availability.

A good way to approach this is via a hypothetical. What would you want Polaris 11 to bring, at what price, and what availability date to make waiting for it for you?

750ti is already faster than the GTX 470 and better in every way for gaming. GTX 950 (and 960 even more so) are significantly faster.

Last edited:
For $100 dollars you can definetely find a GTX 750 ti. And if you look around enough probably a GTX 760 which is still a great card!

Back