GPU / PSU Pins Question

Karant

Gawd
Hey guys, so I recently bought a used R9 280x (just the card, no adapters or extras) as to replace my GTX 660. Unfortunately I came home to find out that the 280x requires both a 8-pin and a 6-pin connector from my PSU. I have a decent PSU that I'd bought many years back, an Enermax Liberty 620W. (ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT 620W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com)

Unfortunately, I got only 2 x 6-pin cables intended for the GPU. Am I going to be able to get away with powering the 280x on just the 2 x 6-pins? Is it risky to try? Would my only alternative option be to buy a new PSU?

Thanks for your feedback!

Need to know what processor/RAM and if you are overclocking to know if the PSU can take it.

You can get a Molex adapter or a 6pin to 8 pin adapter. Or, if you're handy you can probably adapt it yourself.

Am i not running a risk by using a third party adapter? Also, is just running the card off 2 x 6-pin completely out of the question?

I think HorrorShow is correct in that the adapter should work....I would grab a hookup from 2 different leads of course. I dont think i have ever exceeded 620w on mine -so you should be good

Am i not running a risk by using a third party adapter? Also, is just running the card off 2 x 6-pin completely out of the question?

I've used adapters many dozens of times and never had an issue. The computer I'm typing this on now has an 8 pin adapter straight from the PSU to the card and using molex to 6 pin adapters (2 of them) and those are going to a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter going into the card. This is on a 7970.

It's not an ideal setup, but it works.

12V1@22A, +12V2@22A, that's a weak power supply, might be enough for 280x if you're not overclocking anything, but barely

Depends how the rails are wired. If it has 2 PCIE power connectors on the same rail, then that will be a problem. If one is on 12v1 and the other on 12v2 that's plenty

If they are on the same rail, chances are the molex connectors are on the other rail, in which case you use one PCIE power connector and a molex to PCIe adapter for the 2nd connection and you're back to splitting the load between both rails with 528watts on tap.

Got a StarTech 6-pin to 8-pin adapter a couple weeks back and everything has been working great.

Even the guy at the shop I bought the adapter from had discouraged me from buying the adapter, he had suggested I'm running the risk of blowing my PSU.

Considering I have a Enermax Liberty 620W from ~2008, is it likely I'll run the PSU into the ground and potentially destroy additional connected hardware?

To re-hash what I'd stated earier, I have an Intel i5-2400, 4 x 4GB DDR3, ASUS R9 280X, 1 x SSD, and 3 x HDD's.

Thanks,

As long as you have the adapter on the opposite rail it'll be fine. ie use the top red plug for one connection and then the adapter on one of the bottom black plugs all by itself. That will spread the load and should be fine. My 600w Silverstone's pcie connector is a single rail 45a. Yours is dual and 44a combined. Our cards need 30a.

Last edited:
Got a StarTech 6-pin to 8-pin adapter a couple weeks back and everything has been working great.

Even the guy at the shop I bought the adapter from had discouraged me from buying the adapter, he had suggested I'm running the risk of blowing my PSU.

Considering I have a Enermax Liberty 620W from ~2008, is it likely I'll run the PSU into the ground and potentially destroy additional connected hardware?

To re-hash what I'd stated earier, I have an Intel i5-2400, 4 x 4GB DDR3, ASUS R9 280X, 1 x SSD, and 3 x HDD's.

Thanks,

It's possible, but in my experience, not very likely at all. I've seen a lot of failed PSU's and the only time I've personally ever seen one take out anything else is when the PSU itself was taken out by a surge.

Thanks,
It is possible...but it most usually happens with those generic no name supplies. Only issue i see is you have 8 years on that supply AND using adapters now. That 280x does pull a bit of power so it would be advised to start shopping for a modern supply before that old one kicks the bucket.....the efficiency on the enermax has to be down to 50% lol and i believe in those days cheap Chinese caps were very common....i would get a new one SOON.

It is possible...but it most usually happens with those generic no name supplies. Only issue i see is you have 8 years on that supply AND using adapters now. That 280x does pull a bit of power so it would be advised to start shopping for a modern supply before that old one kicks the bucket.....the efficiency on the enermax has to be down to 50% lol and i believe in those days cheap Chinese caps were very common....i would get a new one SOON.

this could be true. I would pop the top on the psu and inspect the capacitors. if they are all good you should be good until you can replace it.

Thanks for your feedback everyone, went ahead and bought a EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 B2 80 PLUS BRONZE CERTIFIED 750W POWER SUPPLY 140MM.

Back