GPU problem or something else?

Kalmado

Limp Gawd
Over the last two weeks my main gpu (Asus R9 290x DC2 OC) has been getting to 94c in roughly 15 minutes while gaming. Usually at least once while playing a game in 1hr or less any game will minimize. No matter how aggressive a fan profile I put the card always reaches 94c. Happened on the newest Crimson driver, the first Crimson, and the driver prior to that.

Very recently I've noticed that even when playing videos on youtube or other sites I'll get either heavy screen tearing or stuttering when in full screen (100% of the time) or sometimes while playing in the window. I've changed Windows themes to basic and back to aero, enabled & disabled hardware acceleration, etc and nothing seems to fix it. Flash is updated and I've turned off all extensions in both FF and Chrome and it still happens.

I recently purchased a Kraken G10 and Corsair H55 to put on the main gpu, but I haven't yet because I do not want to remove the warranty stickers if this issue could possibly be gpu related. I'm hesitant to rma because it's Asus and we know how that process can be (myself first hand). In [H]'s opinion, is my gpu dying?

Well if you don't want to void it's warranty ( if it still has one), then slap that G10/H55 on it pronto! Sounds like it's overheating and throttling. If it's still under warranty then send it in for RMA.

Hmm. That's a toss up. It would have to be a serious paste issue to be fixed with a new cooler. I would RMA it if possible.

Hmm. That's a toss up. It would have to be a serious paste issue to be fixed with a new cooler. I would RMA it if possible.

That would mean entering the Asus Lottery.
If you are "lucky", they let you keep entering it.

That would mean entering the Asus Lottery.

Yes, but I don't think he has a choice. Screen tearing from youtube videos is a deeper issue than a new cooler can solve unless there is a serious factory defect. If a full driver uninstall use a driver uninstaller followed by downloading the most up to date non-Crimson drivers doesn't work...

Thank you for the replies so far. Looks like I'm going on an Asus wild ride! I'm going to inquire about cross shipping. I've only owned the card for about 9 months so it's well within warranty. Hopefully they don't try to send me a 290 or a 280 or something like that guy with the 780ti!

I would guess they might try a 380.
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm a few beers into the night, but isn't the 390x a rebrand of the 290x? Or was it the 390? I sure wouldn't accept anything less than a 380x but I'd imagine it would be a 390(x).

Have you opened your case up to see if it's dusty inside?

Have you opened your case up to see if it's dusty inside?
Problem started when using a Corsair 300R. Switched to a Phanteks Enthoo Pro and upgraded fans as well. Same issue. Zero dust. I wish it was as simple as that!

Are you using the new AMD Crimson Edition that reportedly turns the fan down to 20% on some video cards?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3009...fter-reports-of-overheating-radeon-cards.html

That would certainly explain the sudden increase in temperature, even when doing something like web video. AMD 290x pulls 80w playing back h.264:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/R9_380X_Strix/21.html

Clean out the current driver and reinstall the driver you used prior to Crimson Edition.

Also, have you checked your CPU temperatures as well? You could have a dead inlet fan in your case, since that axial cooler exhausts zero air itself.

Last edited:
He should be using 15.12 Crimson Edition. The one that is currently on the AMD website. It doesn't have the fan issue.

He should be using 15.12 Crimson Edition. The one that is currently on the AMD website. It doesn't have the fan issue.

Supposedly. But just in case, I'd like the OP to confirm he's tried non-Crimson drivers. I never trust rushed-out the door hot fixes to fix an issue universally, no matter what company is writing the software.

TRANSLATION: I don't trust hotfixes from ANYONE. Neither should you.

Can someone link the drivers in between 14.12 - before crimson? My google fu is weak and I can't find it.

Can someone link the drivers in between 14.12 - before crimson? My google fu is weak and I can't find it.

Here are the links for Windows 10 64 drivers back to July:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows 10 - 64

And here is Win 7 64 all previous versions:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows 7 - 64

If you want a different OS, just use their "Manually Select Your Driver" search tool, select your OS, and then after it presents you with the latest driver, click on the option "Download Previous Drivers & Software" in the Helpful Links column on the right side of the page.

Here are the links for Windows 10 64 drivers back to July:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows 10 - 64

And here is Win 7 64 all previous versions:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows 7 - 64

If you want a different OS, just use their "Manually Select Your Driver" search tool, select your OS, and then after it presents you with the latest driver, click on the option "Download Previous Drivers & Software" in the Helpful Links column on the right side of the page.
Thank you for providing this information! Unfortunately after using driver 15.7.1 (non crimson) the problems persist. All aboard the Asus Wild Ride!! Hopefully things work out.

look just to rule something out....set your fan to 100% an see if it still overheats. are your fans even spinning up fully? maybe one of your fans is bad....overheating is usually pretty simple to figure out why

look just to rule something out....set your fan to 100% an see if it still overheats. are your fans even spinning up fully? maybe one of your fans is bad....overheating is usually pretty simple to figure out why
As I said in the OP, no matter how aggressive I set the fan profile it reaches 94c. I could put it to 100% at 40c and ti will still reach 94c. Looks like the gpu is just bad.

gotcha....was watching the game lol while posting....So you got no choice it seems

Shipped off the DC2-OC and am now running my standard DC2. Same exact problem with screen tearing in videos using chrome and stuttering in firefox during full screen. I haven't gamed much using it, but running Resident Evil 5's in game benchmark I scored 59-60fps at 3840x2160 Ultra everything no AA. Yes it's old and runs DX9, but it ran smooth and gpu-z was showing good temps.

Just curious, could a bad pci-e slot cause such problems?

How long since your OS was installed?

Few weeks ago. Recently bought a Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 7 off of Reddit and did a fresh install of W7 Ultimate. By chance could a bad pci-e slot cause such problems?

Last edited:
Recently got my AMH A399U monitor and am using a displayport cable. I'm also using a single Asus R9 290x DC2. All video is still having awful screen tearing with youtube, vlc player, and other flash. When playing Resident Evil 5 I ran gpu-z and never went over 72c, but the game would randomly minimize just like before when in crossfire.

The first few days of using the AMH monitor everything has been great. Over the last few days the screen will randomly go black for a second and then the "DP" will pop up and screen goes back to normal.

Am I looking at a fresh installation of windows? Something else? What in world could be causing screen tearing and stuttering with video?

Possibly bad displayport cable causing the screen to go black? It's a certified dp cable.

Last edited:
Back