• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

GPU power for triple 2560x1440

Joined
Aug 7, 2012
Messages
17
I'm just about to order 3 new monitors with a resolution of 2560x1440 (EIZO FLEXSCAN EV2736W 27").

At the moment I have a single ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2048MB DirectCUII in my rig.

I plan to play with Nvidia surround (or eyefinity). I'm not a hardcore gamer so I can live with gfx at medium setting.

I doubt my single card will get me very far so the question is, should I buy 1 or 2 more of my current card for SLI, or is it better to replace it with TITAN? Titans are rather costly so I'm not sure I wanna buy 2 of those, will 1 do?

If a new generation of GPUs are behind the corner I can wait for them aswell (not more than a couple of months though).
 
I'm just about to order 3 new monitors with a resolution of 2560x1440 (EIZO FLEXSCAN EV2736W 27").

At the moment I have a single ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2048MB DirectCUII in my rig.

I plan to play with Nvidia surround (or eyefinity). I'm not a hardcore gamer so I can live with gfx at medium setting.

I doubt my single card will get me very far so the question is, should I buy 1 or 2 more of my current card for SLI, or is it better to replace it with TITAN? Titans are rather costly so I'm not sure I wanna buy 2 of those, will 1 do?

If a new generation of GPUs are behind the corner I can wait for them aswell (not more than a couple of months though).

In Oct AMD is releasing the HD 9970 and HD 9950. i suggest you wait till then. there could be better prices all round as AMD competes with GTX 780 / Titan.

if you are in a hurry add another GTX 670. since you are willing to play at medium to high settings you should be fine. the main performance killer is MSAA. turn it off and you should do fine.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/14/asus_geforce_gtx_670_directcu_ii_4gb_sli_review/2
 
In Oct AMD is releasing the HD 9970 and HD 9950. i suggest you wait till then. there could be better prices all round as AMD competes with GTX 780 / Titan.

if you are in a hurry add another GTX 670. since you are willing to play at medium to high settings you should be fine. the main performance killer is MSAA. turn it off and you should do fine.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/14/asus_geforce_gtx_670_directcu_ii_4gb_sli_review/2



This.

The solutions out there right now are just too overpriced with an imminent AMD release scheduled and price wars beginning. If you had to though a second 670 should suffice since you don't require super-max-ultra settings.
 
Maybe wait and see if the new AMD cards really push tge envelope... Otherwise pick up a 4gb 680.
 
So far 2 4GB 680s have worked out ok for me with 3 1440p Aurias. I don't really play shooters much though, and I don't play them online. I get about 30fps at full res in Far Cry 3 with the settings cranked up, so I need to turn that one down. Tomb Raider exhibits similar performance. I haven't hit an RPG or strategy game that didn't run well yet though. That's most of what I play and I've got a pretty big backlog, so this setup should be good for a while. Or at least until I finish a half dozen RPGs or so.
 
How you guys like those aurias monitors ? Thinking about grabbing one from microcenter when I jump across the border the visit the wifes grandmother.:D $400 for 2560x1440 is great deal if they work well. One of those overclockable 1s would be nice tho off ebay. But it'd probably be smashed by the time it gets to canada.
 
Thanks guys, I'll fetch another 670 for the time being and hold out a couple of months for better/cheaper cards!
 
Thanks guys, I'll fetch another 670 for the time being and hold out a couple of months for better/cheaper cards!

I use a pair of GTX670 2GB cards for a single 2560x1600 30" monitor- and they're running out of memory.

You might be better off grabbing the cheapest 6GB card you can find; I did see an HD7970 with 6GB on Newegg. Or waiting.
 
Back
Top