GPU Performance Chart

There is a 15% difference between 1920x1200 and 1920x1080.
That is the about the difference between a 560 Ti to a 570 or 6950 to 6970.
If 1920x1080 is the most common resolution that is the one that should be used.

Well, I only want to show one or the other, and I'd rather aim high. What i mean by a big difference is how it's represented in the chart. 1920x1080(2.07MP) vs. 1920x1200(2.3MP) is 11%. The difference from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600 is 78% and really emphasizes the differences, otherwise it would look like a big blob of green.

...In that case then a single 6950 and 6970 2 Gig card should be listed as good performers in the 5040x and 5760x resolutions.
They are perfectly capable of good triple monitor performance in games like: Aliens vs. Predator, Bad Company 2, Borderlands, Call of Duty Black Ops, Dirt 2, F1 2010, Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead 2, Medal of Honor...
Games like Crysis and Metro 2033 may require turning off AA and HDR but they still look good...

OK, I will certainly add a few green bars in 5040x1050 on the 6970. But what about the order of the cards? Should the sort order stay the same and raise the performance of all the other cards below it? Or maybe I should put the 6970 with the 580?

A pair of 560 TI's or 6870's will add up to 2GB. So do you really think a single 6970 beats the performance of these cards in SLI/CF?

Last edited:
Well, I only want to show one or the other, and I'd rather aim high. What i mean by a big difference is how it's represented in the chart. 1920x1080(2.07MP) vs. 1920x1200(2.3MP) is 11%. The difference from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600 is 78% and really emphasizes the differences, otherwise it would look like a big blob of green.

OK, I will certainly add a few green bars in 5040x1050 on the 6970. But what about the order of the cards? Should the sort order stay the same and raise the performance of all the other cards below it? Or maybe I should put the 6970 with the 580?

A pair of 560 TI's or 6870's will add up to 2GB. So do you really think a single 6970 beats the performance of these cards in SLI/CF?

A pair of 1 Gig cards don't share the memory. They would be faster until they run out of memory at the higher resolutions. Then they are unplayable.

You can't really put the 580 beside the 6970 because it doesn't support triple monitors on a single card. It's also faster in the lower resolutions except for some extreme cases where it runs out of memory.

A pair of 1 Gig cards don't share the memory. They would be faster until they run out of memory at the higher resolutions. Then they are unplayable.

You can't really put the 580 beside the 6970 because it doesn't support triple monitors on a single card. It's also faster in the lower resolutions except for some extreme cases where it runs out of memory.

The middle here is definitely tricky.
A made a couple changes, am I on the right track?
If anything, this really highlights the big hole NVIDIA left open by only allowing 2 streams on their cards.

I like the new chart a lot more than the old chart. Good choice to use colored bars instead of those x's.

You could keep it simpler and use one chart for single gpus and another for sli/cf.

With monitor prices so low I get a lot of questions for Surround/Eyefinity. I like having single and multiple monitors together so I can demonstrate the importance of investing in the right GPU now if your ultimate goal is to add a couple monitors later.

Something else I just thought of. There's been some real good discussions about the current performance of these cards, but I wonder if we should drop these levels to what we think it will be 6 or 12 months from now?

according to your rankings my card can't do what it is doing already... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
according to your rankings my card can't do what it is doing already... :rolleyes:

I never said this chart is definitive. Please read the OP again and the context of the subsequent messages and you should realize that I posted this chart seeking advice, collaboration or any other input someone might deem relevant. You might also notice that I have made a lot of changes based on input from some very helpful people.

So, how about you share what exactly it is your running and how it doesn't match this chart and I will gladly revise it.

rofl, i just came in here to post about how silly and void of any useful information this chart is

tomshardware has great VGA charts, ones that actually tell you stuff like what CPU was used, for which game, and what the FPS was

tomshardware has great VGA charts, ones that actually tell you stuff like what CPU was used, for which game, and what the FPS was

I am very familliar with Tom's article. I think there "Best Graphics Card for the Money" series is great but like I said in a previous post, the information is presented in a way that we understand, but not so much for the people that come to me for advice. This chart is not intended to help YOU pick a graphics card, but rather help my family & friends pick one and help me try to explain it to them.

Also, thanks to some great feedback I learned a few things. Thanks to those members for their input!

Last edited:
rofl, i just came in here to post about how silly and void of any useful information this chart is

I just want to laugh at you too about how silly and void of any useful information your post is.

You obviously never read the OP post or any of the thread.

Back