Gpu only works upside down

crispy79

Weaksauce
I have an odd issue that has cropped up. I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 with an AMD 7950 boost Gpu. With the case right side up, it won't boot, giving an error code 62 on the diagnostic LEDs on the board. Flipping the case upside down, the machine boots fully without issue. Removing the GPU and using the onboard graphics work in either orientation.

I thought that there may be mechanical stresses on the board (since it has a rather thin PCB) and have played around with torking the two screws securing the gpu a bit (without success). I also tried using the other PCI-E slot and swapped the GPU into that but the problem persists.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

I've got no answers, but I'm curious to know what made you think to turn the computer upside-down.

Loose or faulty wire from the PSU? Or perhaps a rogue screw is on the loose and shorting something out?

Yeah sounds like solder issues.

You could try the oven fix where you bake the card. There's a thread about it somewhere here on hardforums.

Its your PSU, I've seen it a hundred times. Its no longer strong enough to push the electricity uphill to the gpu, but obviously when its upside down it has the help of gravity to feed that juice downhill. Your only option is to replace it, leave it upside down, or invest in a zero G room.

Investing in a zero-G room would be my recommendation to fix this problem.

Its your PSU, I've seen it a hundred times. Its no longer strong enough to push the electricity uphill to the gpu, but obviously when its upside down it has the help of gravity to feed that juice downhill. Your only option is to replace it, leave it upside down, or invest in a zero G room.
Nah, the wires are kinked and the fat electrons are getting stuck.

Look at the last 2 letters of the serial number. It should be "US". If it is "AU", you bought the Australian version of the card and it will not work in the US.

or it forces your toilet to swirl in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Lol, just wanted to chime in. I had to turn my Playstation 1 upside down for the games to play!

Best troubleshooting method I have found for such problems is to reassemble the hardware on top of a cardboard box (motheboard box works well) outside the case. It is a hassle but I found a screw that was trapped under the motherboard this way. (and I don't recall dropping any screws during assembly, but there it was just the same.)

Kid

Back