GPU for WoW

shmitty

Gawd
So, I recently updated my system quite a bit(as seen in sig) and atm only really play wow and don't really see playing anything else in the future. I had planned buying a 9800GTX from a buddy but I just can't see the need. W/ everything maxed I'm seeing 60FPS in 25 mans(22" monitor) and around 20fps in Dalaran. I'm also worried about the 9800 pushing my PSU a little bit. He's going to let it go for like 40 dollars so what u guys think, is it worth it?

7950 to a 9800? Thats a pretty big jump for $40.... I'd do it.

In regards to the PSU -- I bet you'd be fine. Ask him if you can try it and see.

PSU could really use an update anyway. The Smartpowers were known for bad caps. Something like a 500w earthwatts would be plenty for a replacement.

See if you can try it in your system like Demon said. It should be fine, why did you get another 500w after building a new system?

With this expansion I'm pretty sure Blizzard is once again doing a kind of engine over-haul (much like they did before Lich King). I'm sure it'll still be playable on your 7950, but max settings will probably go up again, and your card may start to show its age a bit.

That said, $40 is an amazing price for the card being offered. Even if WoW is the only game you really play, the GTX will offer a big window of games you can try with much better visual settings than the 7950 will offer, should you ever so choose. I'd snatch that thing up in an instant if I were you.

Your new PSU can probably handle it. IIRC, nVidia recommends a 550W PSU, but almost every review I've read has shown a similar or more powerful computer consuming a total of 280W.

Therefore, your PSU could probably handle it. The problem comes with the amount of time you push the PSU close to its highest rating. Granted, you're no where near it, but it still makes me nervous running something 50W under what nVidia recommends. I've never liked driving a system higher than 150W to 200W under the PSU's max capacity (As in about 300 to 350W in your case), but I think I tend on the conservative side here. That said, the card is at a great price. I'd say go for it.

Last edited:
Yes, take that offer. Do it now.

Edit: Also, I have a NeoPower 500 in my old computer and it's rated at 500W continuous, not max, @ 50C. There's no doubt in my mind it can handle that build. Mine's handled an overclocked Core2 Quad Q6600, 8GB of RAM, and 8800GTX for 3 years with no problems.

WoW is a bit more CPU driven than GPU. You have a good CPU so don't expect miracles with the new video card(I have that same one) but for $40 i'd still get it.

My 9800 just dies, and it was a great card for WoW. No brainer for the price, in certain situations gotta tune down the shadows though, expecially for raiding. New Fermi? Ultra settings all the way through with 25 man ICC run last night :D

I think your psu would handle it and the price is right so I would do it. Plus if you don't need it for another computer you could probably sale your 7950 for almost $40.

Back