• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

GPU for Windows 7?

Scocho

n00b
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
35
Hi - I just upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and I need a new video card - I get a message saying I need WDDM. I'm not looking to spend much $, just something compatible for internet, very light gaming. Below are my specs, please let me know if more info is required:
Mobo: Asus P4VP-MX
Ram: 1G
Processor: 2.8G Pentium 4

Thanks in advance!
 
I would say go for an ATI 4350 series, or an Nvidia 8400 GS....lower end cards, shouldnt be more than 40 bucks each, not sure what you can do for video(didnt look up board), guessing PCIe, otherwise look on newegg, i believe the 43** series and such are made in AGP if you have an AGP board as well.
 
If you don't really play games I'd get a GeForce 6200 AGP. Should be about $30-35.

If you do play games...upgrade the rest of your computer.
 
Thank you very much for the quick responses- this board does require AGP. I see the 6200 has DirectX 9 - would this be an issue for WDDM? I thought I saw something about that requiring DirectX 10 or 11.
 
Thank you very much for the quick responses- this board does require AGP. I see the 6200 has DirectX 9 - would this be an issue for WDDM? I thought I saw something about that requiring DirectX 10 or 11.

There are two versions of WDDM drivers, version 1.0 (introduced with Vista) and version 1.1 (introduced with Win7). WDDM 1.1 requires DirectX10, WDDM 1.0 does not. WDDM 1.0 drivers still work fine on Windows 7 and will allow you to use hardware accelerated themes, etc.
 
Back
Top